1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mama’s Boys: Shobhaa De On Indian Men And Their Mothers

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by riyagan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

I have never understood why wives and girlfriends get so worked up over other women when the only woman worth taking serious note of in their partner’s life is the mother. I have also never understood why this lady makes everybody so nervous.

Sensible spouses should not even attempt to compete with their men’s mamas. It’s a total waste of time and counter-productive, too. Befriending the enemy isn’t always the answer, but as strategies go, it beats battling with the old bird.

Men love their mothers. Men only love their mothers. Men love their mothers only. That covers most of the ground, I should think.

It’s true. The mamma-bond is a very special one. Once you accept its existence and decide not to challenge it, you are better off. How can you possibly compete with a creature who has been certified perfect by the man you love? Perfect is perfect, right? If you have problems with that, too bad.

Not all men are upfront about the way they feel towards their mommies. Some hide their feelings better than others, some feel apologetic about revealing the depth of their emotion and some make excuses for the way they feel even when nobody has asked.

It’s all right. Men are like that when it comes to things that they’re sentimental about. Like belts with broken buckles. Or toothbrushes that resemble toilet cleaners. Forced with a choice, they get defensive and possessive. Don’t force him to make one.

Don’t say things like, “It’s either her or me. Those awful old things or my love.” They’re pretty sure in their minds, and you end up looking a fool when the decision is taken. It’s always ‘her’ and ‘those things’ over you. Get it?

Wives should leave men alone to handle their mothers. But they don’t. They like to think their husbands want their participation in pampering their mummies. They don’t. It’s a private affair between a grown man and the woman from whose womb he has entered the world. It’s biological bonding that excludes you.

Who are you to him, anyway? A prettyish stranger he cast his eyes on years and years ago? What is your real rishta with the guy? Wouldn’t the logical question to ask be, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun? Nothing. Is there a blood link? No. An umbilical cord? No.

Will he die without you? Absolutely not. Will he die without his mother? Yes. Is she replaceable? No way. And you? Any day. Even if you have borne the man children he claims he loves dearly? Yes. Do you hate him for this? No. You hate his mother.

Well, don’t! It isn’t her fault she has a milksop for a son. She can’t help it if he still makes goo-goo eyes at her or starts sucking his thumb in her awesome presence. Has she asked him to sit at her feet and press them?

Is it the mother who insists on spoon-feeding this hulk you’re married to each time you visit her home? Isn’t it the hulk who regresses to the extent of adopting a baby-voice and going in for childish prattle whenever she’s in the vicinity?

Okay, she does treat him like he’s a naughty five-year-old, but she’s his mother – to whom his childhood meant their best years together — do you mind? She can still remember how he used to snuggle up to her and fall fast asleep while she lovingly cleaned his nostrils/ears. Or how sweetly he presented his bottom to be washed after doing a big poo-poo at the dining table.

These are indelible memories. You only came into the picture after the hulk was toilet-trained. You didn’t get the golden chance to wipe his bum. You refuse to take the lint out of his belly-button. You even refuse to trim his ear/nostril hairs. And you dare to talk about love and devotion?

Don’t fool yourself, woman. True love involves – yup – sacrifice and a willingness to get your hands dirty. You fail miserably in that department. Yes, you do. Remember how you reacted to his snot-filled hankies — the undisguised disgust on your face? Or the rude way in which you held your nose when he removed his shoes and waved smelly socks in your face?

His mother would never do that. Never. Nor would she refuse to wake up from deep sleep and fix him an omelette at two in the morning after he’s come lurching back from a drinking binge with the ‘boys’. Mothers love to wait up for their sons.

And you? Not only do you fall asleep, you do something far worse — you keep the television on. And the bathroom light too. And that’s not all. You deliberately forget to keep his pyjamas neatly folded on the bed. Plus, the covers aren’t turned down on his side.

A man walks in wearily somewhat blearily into his bedroom after a long, long day, seeking comfort and iced water. He’s willing to settle for a Bloody Mary and an omelette. What does he find? A woman in a crumpled nightie fast asleep with the lights and television on. Is that fair?

Should she not be sitting by the door with the cocktail in her hand and a smile on her face? What do you mean, that’s unreasonable? Nothing is unreasonable – that’s the least a breadwinner expects. Food and basic amenities. He’s paying for them, damn it.

Now take the man’s mother. Would she squint back at him and ask a stupid question like, “What time is it?” knowing full well she’ll receive a wonky answer? Would she throw dirty looks in the drunk’s direction and go right back to sleep? Would she yell, “Stop making so much noise in the loo – you’ll wake up the neighbourhood,” thereby adding to the din?

Would she refuse, yes, refuse, to go to the kitchen and heat up dinner for the fifth time in one night, saying, “Nobody eats tandoori chicken at three in the morning in this house.”? Never! Mothers understand perfectly that men have to be men. They cannot be stopped from or reprimanded for enjoying themselves from time to time.

You may not think much of men who knock back half-a-dozen whiskies on an empty stomach. It may not be your idea of enjoyment. So what? Who’s asking you in the first place? Huh? Who? Does his mother ever so much as mention booze in his presence? Utter that awful word called ‘alcohol’?

Does her expression alter even one teensy-weensy bit when her son rolls in reeling? Of course not. She smiles indulgently, shoos all the servants away, scowls in your general direction and asks brightly, “Hungry? No problem. I’ll quickly make some aloo parathas for you. Won’t take a minute. Don’t worry.”

Someday you’ll be saying exactly the same thing to your bounder of a son. It’s not just part of our mental make-up to behave thus as mothers, it’s the movies that insist we do. Whether it was Nirupama Roy or Raakhee, all screen mums die for the opportunity of making aloo parathas for the drunken louts they call sons.

Movie mothers hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil when it comes to male offspring. These unworthy men may be murderers and/or rapists — but mamma knows best. They’ve turned that way because of society. But because they’ve grown into great, big, hulking heroes on energy-giving, pure, unadulterated mother’s milk, there beats a heart of gold under that hairy chest.

17 people like this.

2. AmmyS

AmmyS Senior IL'ite

Good one!! Thanks for sharing :)

1 person likes this.
  3. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

This is some serious interpretation!! Apart from drinking (DH hates it), everything just fits the description!! Loved it!

1 person likes this.
  4. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

For me this post seems to be the MIL version of being Mama's boys... Would love to hear the DIL version too.... however all i felt after reading the post is "All the best to DIL of Shoba De..." :bowdown

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Shobha Dey is in a class apart. I love her open, no nonsense way of presenting things. You like her or hate her, you cannot ignore her, that is for certain. Which brings me to the question - which of these two did her mil do? Any guesses?

2 people like this.
  6. imakemydestiny

imakemydestiny New IL'ite

haha........ you have captured the situation ho so perfectly!!

7. twobabies

twobabies Senior IL'ite

i cannot agree her (shoba de) some points, like judging and supporting that men can behave childish even after marriage (my dh would also do that but i hate that often, i want a man to be mature, i wld think may b some developmental disorder because i dont behave in such a way to mom :)), i am totally disagreeing this that they hve to grow up and take responsibilties (whereas woman are expected to be mature). and also she is assuming that wife wont wake up at night and prepare food at middle night whereas mother can only do that, it is just her view point, it is not 100% true. as a mother, she would treat all her children same without any gender discrimination like washing his/her poo, its her duty (a wife would serve his husband with all sort of help when he is ill but mom cant as he is grown up). comparing when a man in his childhood and thinking he is still in that stage after becoming married adult is ridiculous.

it is just my view....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Hillarious...I usually do not agree with Ms. De on a lot of things, however, I do admire her writing style it is without any artifice. And this one time I am confused was she being sarcastic or was she actually saying the Dil never really has a chance :spin
    Since I shout at him for not putting the toilet seat down, and since I did not potty train him I have no rights over him :bonk:bonk:bonk:bonk But I taught him that you press the toothpaste at its tail end and not at the center, does that not make up for it....Do I have any chance to match up to the Mil :drowning

6 people like this.
  9. rkk1

rkk1 Gold IL'ite

This was fun to read. The problem in my case is that MY mother fits the description of all these things... as she spent her life doing everything for my sister and I. She's always cleaned our messes, cooked me food in the middle of the night if I came home late, folding all my clothes and making my bed, etc. By this logic, I should tell my husband that he is nothing to me as my mother has done a million more things for me than he ever has.

I have full reason to be a "momma's girl", as any. But if I can still realize my responsibility as a married woman and give my husband importance as my spouse... then my husband will not get any additional leniency for being a devoted son. I respect his bond with his mother, and will encourage them to continue to be close, even after he moves to live with me. But I will not be accepting of him shirking any responsibilities to me. He knows I am stubborn over these issues, and I have full right to be, as someone he has chosen as his life partner.

nakshatra1, Hyral, eandian and 3 others like this.
  10. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

Satchi, i guess she had the "usual" MIL who wud hav hated her for the said traits alone:bonk she wud hav been straight forward dil. i cant think that any mil wud take it...as well the write up is drenched in sarcasm explains a huge experience with MIL:exactly: i believe that she wont be the "usual" MIL to her dil/dils...

2 people like this.