'MAKENA' Injection during pregnancy and its success rate?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnithaPartha, Oct 8, 2013.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I had a preterm baby (at 33w) in 2009 during my 1st delivery. Now am pregnant with my 2nd baby. So, my dr has prescribed 'Makena' injection starting from 16w till 37w to prevent another premature baby. Am just trying to gather information on this shot like side effects, any risks etc. Kindly share your experience on its success rate, anyone delivered full term baby after taking these shots?

Today, I got a call from Pharmacy saying its $4000 :eek and they have asked dr to explain our insurance company why I need it so that they can approve these shots. Anyone took this for any of your pregnancies and was your insurance covered?

I know $4k is a lot more and I have to take it from week 16 till week 37. Am just wondering for its cost.

Hopefully my insurance (Cigna) will agree to cover this up.

Please let us know :wink:

PS: Moderator, can you move this thread under Pregnancy and Labor section please?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

2. AnithaPartha

Hi,

not even one person took this shot .. Surprising !

3. lovely123m

lovely123m New IL'ite

i have been asked by my doc to take this shot as i had a loss at 22 weeks . so in my next preg he said he may give me some progesterone shots (16 to 34 weeks , i think )but i dont know if the name is makena !.. what is this makena shots ? and how far long are u in preg ? am in USA too , please let me know if these shots will be covered ! else i its too much !

4. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

oh my god!Dont do this. eat healthy and relax. Enjoying and behappy every min and you will have a healthy baby.u r thinking and emotions are directly connected to the baby.so relax.is premature baby a genetic disorder like if one is premature all the following will be ???

5. AnithaPartha

Lovely,

Sorry to hear about that.
    This is my 2nd pregnancy and am 24 weeks pregnant !
    Last time I delivered my DS at 33w and that's the reason dr has suggested me to take makena shots (progesterone shots) from 16w - 37w... Heard that it is a very efficient injection to prevent premature birth.... My cousin took steroid shots with her pregnancy for baby's brain and lung development as she was under complete bed rest and dr confirmed that she'll deliver premature baby. In my case, am taking it just as a precaution, NO preterm symptoms till now. Dr keeps checking my cervix length through U/S.... Hoping for a full term, healthy and normal vaginal delivery :)

All the best for you!

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,
    Beg, borrow, fight but get the prog shots. I didn't with my second after a first preemie. I opted to get the cerclage instead. I showed no symptoms of ptl but still went into ptl and had my son at 29 weeks despite the cerclage. Of course, I have no proof that the second ptl could have been prevented by prog shots since my cervix was the issue but I wish I had taken it. Even if you are not showing symptoms get it. Steroids are good for lung maturity(does nothing for the brain, btw) and I got it both times but prog shots sound promising. I too had my first at close to 34 weeks.

7. AnithaPartha

hi Laks,

sounds scary. i have sent you a PM.