Makara Sankaranti

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Meena !

You write only as you can write, my dear friend !
    We must know the minimum significance about our festivals definitely. Anyway watch out for a tamil verse which I want to post on pongal day. That evening we have the custom of asking all elders to put haldi on our forehead.
    Then this is chanted by the elders, blessing the person. It is so beautiful & significant !
    பொங்கும் மங்களம் எங்கும் தங்குக !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    பால் நல்லபடியாகத் திங்கட்கிழமை எல்லோர் வீட்டிலும் பொங்க இறைவனை வேண்டுகிறேன் !

2. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Happy Pongal

Dear Mrs.C,

Thanks for the informative posting about Pongal. The photo attachments were too good !

Happy Pongal to you and your family.

I wish all fellow ILites a Happy Pongal as well!

3. Chitvish

My dear Radha V !

I am glad you liked the write up !
    Thankyou very much for the feedback.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

After reading your post on Pongal as usual I was magically transported back home... like Dorothy in her red shoes.:rolleyes:
    Sweet memories rekindled by your thread. I was waiting all week for this one & needless to say that I'm sated now.
    Will your next week thread by on "Thai Poosam"? If not, can you post one on that too? Isn't that approaching soon?
    L.

5. Chitvish

Hello Lavanya !

Interesting to note that my post rekindled happy memories for you.
    I have no plans of writing on Thai Poosam - I am sorry if I am disappointing you !
    Thanks for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. santha248

santha248 New IL'ite

Happy Pongal

HI TO ALL MY IL READERS

A HUMBLE WISH FROM ME

MAY GOD BLESS ALL TO HAVE A PEACEFUL, HAPPY, HEALTHY LIFE THROUGH OUT THE YEAR.

HAPPY PONGAL

PONGUM MANGALAM ENGUM THANGUHA.
    santha:clap

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    your post is very nice. Even though one knows about all these, i is very heartening to read it again and refresh ourselves. Being in Chennai, Pongal fever catches up.
    You know, we used to get sugarcane in Trivandrum only during Pongal those days and we children waited for Mattu Pongal day- to eat the sugarcane. My mother would not let us eat them on Pongal day. And me being the daughter after 3 brothers, I have to draw kolams everywhere for 2 or 3 days. I used to fill the yard with all types of kolams. I felt bad then, only I was made to draw kolams. Now it is so very nice to think of those days.
    And my mother used to draw the face of Sun and the Moon in the pooja room on kavi background. I do that even now and do the deeparadhanai to the Sun god also.
    And the celebration photo was just superb.

8. Chitvish

My dear Varloo !

You are so sweet with your words. I am very happy to share with all of you a pdf file of "Ther Kolams" usually drawn for pongal.
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was reminded of last year Pongal!

Dear C,

Last year we were in India celebrating Pongal with my in-laws. Me and my co-sister were woke till late in the night on Bhogi to put color kolam for Pongal. My B-i-l took a video of us putting kolam. The next day we celebrated by cooking Pongal in Vengala Paanai with the family in chorus shouting "பொங்கலோ பொங்கல்!" when it got cooked.

Your write-up was very informative about the festival. It also reminded me of the essay writing competition about Pongal my Tamil teacher conducted in school. The essay I wrote about Pongal were not any way close to the information you have shared, except for painting the horns of the cows for mattu pongal :tongue.

To all ILites,

"என் இனிய பொங்கல் வாழ்த்து - பொங்கலோ பொங்கல்".

Malathy

10. Chitvish

My dear Malathy !

I feel privileged that you are joining us here. Every N R I seems to feel more nostalgic about pongal than anyother festival - என்ன இருந்தாலும் அது தமிழ் நாட்டுக்கே உரித்தான பொங்கல் பண்டிகை அல்லவா?

Well, when i was in school if an essay writing on pongal were to be conducted, I would have just written that the best part of pongal is eating pongal with Ezukari kuzambu ! Atleast you went up to mattu pongal !!

In your honour, I am posting yet another pongal panai kolam.

Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files: