1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Magic!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Having rushed around the whole day, finally dropping my DS to his class for the day, I pause taking a quick picture or two at the parking lot, checking on the battery of my camera, heaving a sigh of relief. As soon as I enter, he asks "So do you have 10 pictures for me?" I sheepishly answer that I only have five, hiding the fact that two of them were taken at a parking lot minutes before I entered the class. One picture from the parking lot gets a nod and one another from sometime during the past week gets a "This could be your best shot for the week. Next time I hope to see all 10 good pictures." I heave a sigh of relief.

The guilty and the relief bring the chatty side of me out and I say "I don't know how the week flies by. I am always wondering week after week as to how quickly these weekly classes come by!" He smiles broad with his perfect teeth and only says "Oh wait till you get to my age, the days go by even quicker. It feels like you are having 30 breakfasts in a day". I laugh heartily at that and can only stare at him in admiration. No kidding. He is all of 81 years old and is getting ready for another photography show in a month or so. He sees the look on my face and says "Honey, when you are enjoying what you are doing days feel like a breeze." This is not the first time he has told me that. How many times has not assured me that the best way to keep oneself happy is to develop a passion for something, always adding "Now don't get me wrong! Making money is different. While you work at making money, you must have a passion to keep you happy! Oh I have worked for 30 years at the same job and figured out other ways of making money. I went to work everyday at 4 in the morning to sell 600 cups of coffee, then do my actual job and come home after 12 hour days. I knew making money was important and I made money the honest way so that I can retire early to enjoy my life. Now I am retired for 26 years ." He pauses and asks "Now what is enjoyment?" and continues with a "For me, it is photography! I have been teaching, taking pictures for the last 30 years after taking an early retirement and oh those exhibitions!" I let the words sink in. There is no doubt he is happy. I can see the joy when he shows off his photos-- his wife's, his pictures from younger days, the skyline of various cities, the fireworks, the natural wonders, and discusses how he did them - film, black and white and now the SD card ones, not to speak of all the software that he has taught himself to use. Oh how much of transition he has seen and been through and he tops it all off with a "And oh I have been to all the 50 states and been to the four corners of our country with in the same year. I tell ya!"

As I browse through his pictures, I mention my possible travel to India. India always brings in questions about family, if I miss my home, if I like living here etc. I let in the fact that sometimes I miss my parents deeply and he looks at me quietly for a minute or so and offers "Continue learning this photography and I promise you when you know what you are doing, you will never feel lonely again!" Knowing his story I know he knows what he is talking about. After all, hasn't he told me his story already so many times? He had to leave home at the age of fourteen to take care of his family after his dad passed away. I believe he hitch hiked his way working random jobs. After finding somewhat a stable job at the age of 24, he stayed put there for a good thirty years and retired early so that he can enjoy his life. And he always proudly concludes with a "tell you what! I am only 8th grade pass!"

It is no formal class and any picture that interests me can be the topic for that day. So I am always looking at piles and piles of pictures wondering about many but this one picture, I am drawn to it in a way I cannot explain. Definitely not my kind of subject. That I am sure of but it did draw my attention and makes me wonder. It is a picture that my teacher had taken some 20 years ago using film, Plexiglas, marbles, and vases! Many questions race through my mind as I hear the description of how it was taken. My teacher just sees the look in my eyes and finally says "I believe in magic - both in seeing it and in creating it". How did he know? Just last week as I teased my host gently with a "If you were to talk of ageing in any other context, you will not be spared. Thank goodness it is all about wine!", I hear another elderly guest pop a question to the table - "If you believe in one thing now, what would it be?" I am unaware of the silence that question has brought in but without thinking, I turn towards that guest and offer "Magic" much to the amusement of many at that table except to that of the person who had asked the question. He instinctively seemed to have known what I meant as he smiles broadly and winks at me. Now looking at the glint in my teacher's eyes, I know I am right in believing in magic. Tell me, how else did the Sabrinas and the Supergirls of the world come about? Suddenly I have an intense urge to listen to ABBA's "I have a dream, a song to sing".

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

A typical Srama production! :) Your not completing your homework or just about touched a cord. Am feeling like a recalcitrant school kid struggling over my homework for tomorrow's class. How I hate homework. Now I know why my students grumble so much!

My jaw just dropped when you mentioned your teacher's age! Of late I have been wondering about the way years seem to fly. Years, months, days, hours ..... Now I understand. "After a certain age ....." as my mom would have said. Does that mean I enjoy what I am doing? Or am I doing what I enjoy? I have to work that one out yet. Or maybe I am just wandering around being totally woolly headed - so much so that time has no impact as yet. Or am I experiencing the lack of the time dimension? Sigh! I wish I knew, but then, does it really matter?

shyamala1234, SunPa and Srama like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I do want to say nothing matters as long as you are happy
    but then going by your self I am worried if you will ask me "What is happy", am I happy or do I think I am happy...so on and so forth. I am afraid I have to bring in the likes of JK and RK (The paramahamsa himself) to answer. But as a friend, I will still say nothing matters Satchi as long as you are happy doing what you are doing. The more pertinent question is should you get answers, if you egt them are they the answers, if they are, how do you know.....he he he :D

Thank you for your response. I really am fortunate to meet people like my photography teacher. There are days I feel I am jus sitting there, doing nothing but seems like I need that break. And oh BTW if I didn't mention, I wouldn't put my teacher a day over 65 but 81 he is!

satchitananda and Shanvy like this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Srama @satchitananda
    Alas , I can like a post only once.
    But no one can stop me from re-re-re-re-reading it :)

satchitananda and Srama like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Sunpa (@SunPa), You are simply so sweet! Thank you!

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,
    There are certain things in life which we have to do and certain we want to do. That "want" to do becomes a passion many times. That creates magic in life. Without that magic life is mundane and drab. Different passions for different people. For e.g creating or drawing a painting is magic and viewing a great painting also we feel that magic! Smile of Mona lisa.....it is magic! A part of us wants that magic apart from day to day living. You have created that magic in your blog...took us with you to your teacher and we also listened with rapt attention what he says with a glint in eyes. We could even see the glint. You have a photographic picturisation...whatever you write. We were with you while jogging, in the garden, flowers, snowflakes, rain drops, butterflies. Amazing way of presenting things!
    Thank you for a wonderful blog.
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear sabitha,
    There are people who have their fingers in too many pies, but not able to be sucessful in as many as they wish. I feel you got magical fingers and you are creating magic in everything you do. I wish to know what hidden talents you have which are not yet exposed to us in IL.
    PS

Srama likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,
    Wonderful piece if art,I should say.You make us travel,do the jogging, make us feel the pulse of 82 year old teacher.Simply astounding!
    Jayasala 42

Srama likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

You have no idea how many times I feel that you have this uncanny way of understanding and summarizing, not just for my posts but in general. Lovely perspective. You are right. We are all seeking that magic in small little ways or for the lucky few big ways and finding it. Holding on to it what makes life so beautiful and makes it all worth it.

Thank you for your words about how I write. It gives me encouragement and makes me feel that all that joy I feel in these things are for real. The flip side, sometimes the intensity with which I feel can be debilitating too (especially for sad things) - I am constantly struggling to keep things in perspective :) You know I do have to tell you that you are right - now that I think about it, I do have the memory of say that entire course etched in my mind - not by directions but by feelings. You do read me well Syamala. Thank you for always being there.

shyamala1234 likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS ma'm,

Your response truly brought a big smile on my face. I often feel that I am involved in too many things but my DH assures me that I am usually not a crabby/cribby person, hence I must be enjoying what I am doing. Successful or not, doesn't seem to matter at this point. I have to acknowledge that I have been fortunate in coming across the amazing people that I do come across. it makes all the difference you know. Thank you for your kind words.

Regards.