1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 2, 2011.

1. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kamalji,

This is one of the excellent snippets that I have read in recent times......elders have their financial security and interests in life to make their last lap of journey comfortable and try to be as independent as possible.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, :clap: it is the need of the hour advice, to the future senior generations like us.

I feel very bad for this lady and others who go through this. Sindhi phrase, sure that is the feeling that goes through many households.

sriniketan

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi kamalji,

You surely bring out some sad cases like these that tug at our heart strings.

yes, financial security and engaging hobbies are quite a blessing for the elderly but what about the truly last
    days?
    Not many are lucky to go away just like that,and that time one really needs looking after...and you have to be really blessed to have someone to do that for you.

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji..
    yes the case of the paralyzed lady is sad.. but on the other hand if your parents are ill then isn't it the duty of the children to take care of them whether they have invested well for their future or not.
    I totally agree with you on the fact that we should invest well for our future and old age and not expect our kids to take care of us but incase of a problem whom do you think we should look at? I think neither the parents nor the kids after they've grown up and become adults should expect financial security from eachother but in times of need they should stand by eachother...
    the other day I met someone who told me that once her sons starts earning money he should throw it at her feet as she has sacrificed so much for him.. I was shocked.. I asked her is that why she educated him?? her husband is a very successful businessman!!.. so no money problems!!
    kerman

5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

DEar Kamalji
    Again I came to reading this superior post a bit late...... you said it wisely!
    The numbers and problems of senior citizens have manifested into a complicated nature. The speed and frenetic pace with which the society is moving forward has catalyzed a sharp decline of old norms and to make way for modern fancies and style of living ... sons/daughters are becoming extremely self-seeking (may not be by choice........),l eaving the parents lonely and depressed! Today my world revolves around my children, my Dh works 24x7 for them; to give them the very best. Can we expect returns??? Leave aside the monetary aspect. Can we even look forward to at least a few visits a year? I seriously doubt! In my case, my kids are still too young for me to make such serious comments, but seeing the way the world is heading and I look at plan B….. and planning for this stage. I don’t want to imagine old age as a curse.
    Most developed societies have a balanced and well laid out old age structure; and it is pretty much acceptable for retirees to move into old age homes. I am not talking about the typically ones; kind off apartment-style places (like a gated colony, wherein all residents are in the same stage of life more or less). These facilities address the need of retirees, people with declining mental and physical faculties due to age, widows, etc. Over here like minded individuals can share fun and pain and live a life of dignity. Instead of waiting for the children to make suggestions (…and cause us more pain), we initiate the whole procedure! We could also use the extra amount of time at hand either for some collective efforts towards the society’s betterment, writing or several of those things for which we couldn’t find the time earlier in life!
    A nice revelation…time to think about the future!!!
    Mega