1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch: What Is Your Idea Of A Well-balanced Non-vegetarian Quick Lunch ?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Nonya, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Here is a Ramen Noodle soup ( can do it with Maggi in India), with half a boiled egg, a slice of meat-cutlet (from yesterday's dinner at a restaurant), some tofu, some greens for colour, and a few slices of red peppers ( you can substitute with a small amount of Mango Thokku, if you have it.

Here is how it looks:

upload_2017-4-16_20-10-47.png

Tell us what is your quick lunch.... that may have what vegetarians may not wish to eat.

I think pretty much all chinese restaurant left-over take-out can be cycled into a noodle soup lunch the next day.

mushroomm, Amin4u, pumpkin01 and 5 others like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

That bowl looks Yumm-O!
    I am a strict vegetarian but the better half is an omnivore so I do end up cooking for him. The lunches he carries to work are always the same: one of those bagged salad kits from the grocery store together with either grilled chicken or a piece fish, leftovers from the previous day's dinner. Lunch in 5 minutes.

Archanaanchan and Amica like this.
  3. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

That ramen soup looks yummy!

Mine is wrapping and steaming a fish fillet with some veggies in aluminum foil. For the side soup, I fill a cup or bowl with some readymade low sodium broth, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, shredded seaweed, cubed tofu, sesame seeds, a few dried noodle slice.. then microwave.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Amica likes this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

On the Costco Shopping List thread, I recommended adding a full roast chicken to the list.

Here is Jaques Pepin showing how to use such a thing for a nicely presented dinner at home.

Amica and MalStrom like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Used air-fryer to make steak lunch. Ensalada Chilena, baby potatoes, and steak. Cold Tea.
    upload_2017-7-23_13-49-2.png

mushroomm, Amica and MalStrom like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just seeing this thread! Many lunches/dinners have gone by that I didn't take picture as meal was non-veg. : )

Now I know.

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

upload_2017-7-24_11-28-21.png
    Some weekends I make a stew/guisado in the pressure cooker. These recipes are quite adaptible to instant pot cooking. The one on the left has boneless-skinless chx thigh pieces (dark meat) in a Tomato sauce, with garbanzo beans, onions, ginger, and egg plant. Salt, Pepper, and Cumin are the spices. The one on the right is a lighter consistency stew (soup?) with skin-peeled chicken thighs (with bones) in a white wine sauce, with baby potatoes, Onions, green/red bell peppers, and a few basil leaves. Salt, Pepper, cumin, ginger, lime juice and garlic are the spices.

During the week, these can be adapted to make noodle dishes for lunch. The lighter consistency stew can also be separated into a consomme, a side of baby potatoes, and bone-in thigh+drumstick served on a plate with salad greens.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

OK... here is a lunch, made from the stew of the weekend. I used a slotted ladle to (gently) take out the chicken, and the vegetables. Rough handling of the chicken thigh will make it fall off the bones. The sliced cucumber (a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar on top) is the only addon. We also had a glass of wine (merlot, Como Sur, bicicleta) with it.
    upload_2017-7-25_11-55-16.png

Rihana likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Have you taken photos lately ?
    Here is the poet Robert Burns, on the matter of meat:
    upload_2017-8-8_11-2-52.png

Rihana likes this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Shrimp pulav with potato and raita on the side.

upload_2017-8-26_15-6-38.png

Nonya, Gauri03 and Rihana like this.