1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

very nice! bulgur means I automatically think of taboulleh which is kinda meh, well all cold cooked grains feel meh to me but... did you buy the bulgur brown wheat and crack it yourself or did you buy it in the cracked form? I havent seen bulgur wheat in cracked form here, I dont think. Hmmm... must investigate.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes..i think i picked it up during our star of th week ingredient and made tabouleh.. get brown grits or cracked form in these parts..so used it for upma.

3. Nausheenshaikh1

Nausheenshaikh1 New IL'ite

Great meal pic , Iam a Nutritionist and your meal plate looks yummy and healthy :)

Shanvy likes this.
  4. Indhradhanu

Indhradhanu Silver IL'ite

IMG-20181228-WA0004.jpg
    Kerala plum cake made with whole wheat flour

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Indhradhanu, that looks so yum. we got a couple of rum infused cake from the bakery and believe me we passed it to people as it was too sweet for my liking.
    as it has been tradition that i bake a cake for new year and christmas, and this year because i was not here my dd baked one christmas and the young man, says amma, you can stop worrying about baking, your daughter has learnt to do it, especially the same whole wheat, and she likes coconut oil more and it is kind of growing up on me, ..
    do you think it is me, starved for home cooked food, liking it more...lol

ChandrikaV likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Caughtinbetween thank you so much for the mention, and i did promise i would talk about consistency here. well let me say, i have stopped posting much here, because of travelling too much. but want to share something that has happened in my family, that reiterates the need for being aware, being ok to get up and do it.

so 2018, my daughter has been working 16 and sometimes 18 hours onsite, and most times it was in hotel food when she was away. it messed her up a lot. so after coming back, she decided she was going to cook her meals . after 12 hours of stressful mental work, (can't share what she does) she comes home and cooks rasam and vegges and eats if she wants to eat.. and packs her lunch to office..it is such a change from the girl who had zomato, swiggy on her mobile and did not hesitate in 2017.. this november, she cooked all her meals, and ate healthy, and has improved in making them good and has also started eating vegetables that she would not eat before., no easy way of eating potatoes...

i believe, we can just keep doing what we do, and our kids, and family will follow.. the dh too cooks his food as he finds the difference in the consistency of eating home cooked food and eating out. the consistency of exercising..

control, commitment and consistency play a vital role, for anything to be a success, be it our career, health or relationship. unless we are aware, and want it passionately we cannot succeed. we will always be in a yo-yo..
    making lifestyle changes helps.. sometimes, healing simple things.. i do have pain, but my intake of pain killers have reduced by a margin due to juicing..

have a wonderful year ahead..and loads of positive wishes to you.. loads of wishing you happiness and health to you and your lo.. stay blessed...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

want to end the note of 2018 with something that happened when i visited a organic store, and picked up sugar.

the store sales assistant, tells me this sugar can be used by a diabetic, and i smiled and told her, yes, any sugar can be used by a diabetic, if she is aware..then she went on to sell me wheat flour, and the usp was it was gluten free, yes you heard me right gluten free apart from being organic.

a diabetic needs to understand, his insulin variation, is not just from the sugar he has, but also from the fruits, the food he eats.. we are conditioned to look at sweets as the cultprit and make it so hard on them by forbading them to eat it.. instead a piece of it satisfies the craving and he can balance it out with the other food he eats..

wheat flour cannot be gluten free. though we can have gluten free flour that is not wheat.. there is a lot to be read on gluten sensitvity rather than using it just like that.. gluten can be found not just in wheat or some grains, it is found in sweeteners, soups and beverages that we pick off the shelf.

celiac disease and gluten sensitivity are two different conditions though often confused..

anyways just wanted to state, knowledge and awareness holds the key in today's fast world...

when the smoke from firecrackers, that is in the atmosphere can contaminiate a person, so much that even if he has not been the one bursting them. yes you heard it right, a recent article states there was lead in the urine of a person from delhi, who has not touched the crackers..

so pollution impacting us and contaminating us is real..something we can do nothing about. there is plastic in the so called purified water we drink all over the world..

the best we can do for our kids, educating, helping to contain the pollution, by starting with us.. stop plastics, reduce carbon footprints, reduce the use of chemicals...

have a wonderful 2019.. happy and healthy new year to all my dear friends, who participate, who are silent yet have been part of this journey of learning...this thread has been a learning process. thank you...

ChandrikaV and GeetaKashyap like this.
  8. Nausheenshaikh1

Nausheenshaikh1 New IL'ite

Thats absolutely well said @ Shanvi :) Iam a Nutritionist I really enjoyed reading your thread !!
    Stay healthy & Happy

9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy,
    How and when do you consume juices? You have shown so many varieties; is it for the entire family or only for you lasting a couple of days?

Shanvy and nandinimithun like this.
  10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

You read my mind geets, I had the same question too, but hadn't asked

Shanvy and GeetaKashyap like this.