1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Generally long grains rice have lower GI. Our Indian basmati rice has low GI over the short grain , sticky Asian ones . Diabetic people who may eat rice are generally advised to eat long grain rice .

I feel hungry in a few hours after eating white carbs anyway which includes white bread , pasta or white rice . The body goes on an overdrive releasing insulin and after few hours our blood sugar is low and the hunger kicks in .

The feeling of fullness last much longer with brown rice , grains or whole wheat bread but watch out for the HCFS in all the whole wheat and multi grain products .

Amica, Shanvy, Vani00 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Amica carbs and how your body processes it and your metabolism and also portion sizes everything plays a part in the how soon you feel hungry.

after a long experiment with myself and my family i feel we are more and more brainwashed by many groups. like yesterday the new us bp limits.. i have always seen my cardiologist say 130/80 is ok and now 130/80 is high bp.. the same with many ranges. be it insulin.. the range reduced and i can't pull out datas as much immediatly but it should be out there.. so does the bmi range..come on we had bmi's calculated and worked based on the frame of a person too, which is not taken into account these days..and the craze of size zero..

am i digressing i think so.. i believe as a si, basmati is heavier on me, than the regular ponni. probably the flavor of basmati and the fullness does not happen as and when i eat my ponni or even varagu that is closer to my rice.
    more than the science of the gi index, the satisfaction quotient, the portion size and even your comfort zone matters when it comes to hunger is my opinion.

the bamboo rice and the matta rice are the lowest on the gi index. brown is also low. the difference in ponni and basmati is just 10 or 12.

but let me share my daughter says oats or even the health mix porridge (using 26 ingredients) with curds makes her hungry in a couple of hours while i and my husband feel full and energetic till afternoon. i probably would attribute that to her metabolism and psychological negation of kanji as breakfast. and yes it if is steel cut oats she feels hungry within 30 minutes..lolz..

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

todays breakfast was kavuni/black rice dosa with tomato pickle 1A390D76-582F-4232-9495-BE5642704C53.jpeg

lunch... brahmi/vallarai sambar rice, avarai/flatbeans and potato sabji, chana sundal, fruits (apples,guava,pomes) and nuts
    E13678A2-F2F3-4599-A8FF-537F7277B13C.jpeg

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the information, @Sunburst and @Shanvy. I knew I could count on you. :thumbsup:

I saw the low GI rice at Patel's and thought it might be useful for diabetic guests. I usually serve parboiled Basmati because our visitors don't seem to like brown rice very much.

Reading about the Chhatisgarh variety piqued my curiosity:
    Good news for diabetics! Low GI rice variety identified - Times of India
    Diabetes: Researchers Have Identified a Low Glycemic Index Rice Variety

This is what I bought:
    Good Life Diabetic Rice

If there are other better options, please share. Thanks again.

Shanvy likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Amica the organic and low gi, fatfree, sugarfree are some of the things that would be a constant up in your face things in the future. when i started consuming organic around 6 to 7 yrs back i had only a few shops in chennai and i was a customer at two.. one was the team shoppe opp vandalur zoo and restore in adyar. can you believe i have 6 shops on the bustling main road close to my home now, with the name organic.

i have discussed earlier on rice. it is assumed we had 11000 varieities of rice and every one of them was conducive to the person living in that area. with the greed and more greed came manipulation. the rice eaters brain washed to eat chappati and more.

bamboo rice i dont even know how authentic the ones we get in the local shops are for the price.

we have a few brands of dia rice and they say it has herbs added.

the one in chattisgarh has always been there. only our people’s interest in revivial of lost varieties is helping and hope it keeps doing it.

Guardians of the grain

This Woman's Preserved 30 Indigenous Rice Varieties & Is Making Sure You Get a Grain of History Too!

https://m.timesofindia.com/home/sci...after-all-says-study/articleshow/14813813.cms

i strongly believe it is not the rice that is the culprit. we have moved from our motto of food as medicine to medicine as food. with the fast track running in life (not the physical) the stress, the lure of junk, the craze of instant food, thepharma greed and everything plays a vital role

however you can try little millets like varagu that taste close to rice. the palakaad navarra rice is so good for health.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

have a great monday morning and a grear week ahead..

breakfast was mudakathan keerai\baloonvine greens varagu dosa

a rasam fron aquafaba, rice, chana, bottlegourd sabji, sesame seed jaggery balls, nuts and fruits(guava and orange) both are in season ans maximise use of seasonable vegges and fruits.
    16FAF535-5500-40BB-873D-1D772C9BAFA7.jpeg
    when i use aquafaba or the boiled chana water i miss @damini . miss @Anisu and many regulars. @pumpkin01 @maheseran and many others.. @parineetha and @maggi32 for all the fun induced here..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    mushroomm, maggi32, Laks09 and 6 others like this.
  8. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy,

I am right here..peeping through your plate and Satchi's plate every day and wondering how you could plan so well everyday for the lunch and dinner.

But one thing which i should admit is ...This thread is my daily motivation to cook healthy meal and also varieties.

SunPa, Shanvy and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for absconding again. :p Basically having the same kind of stuff last few days. Yesterday had moringellai veg with moong and patla dal. Breakfast was idli sambar.

Today it's been 1 carrot paratha, moong dal and patla dal for breakfast.

Lunch was veg upma with onion chutney, chundal and papaya veg. Grapes for dessert.

Lunch - 20 Nov 2017.jpg

Anisu, you could simplify your cooking by cooking an all in one like bisi bele bhath with all vegs and it contains dal too, or pongal with vegs, or pulav with dal and salad/raita. It would be a complete meal all in one. Put a huge amount of vegs in the main dish. Add cashew nuts or groundnuts too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    mushroomm, Amica, Buds and 1 other person like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Anisu comes with practice ans now have to show my dd to balance hers. there is not much plan yaar. i go with the flow and whatever vegges available.

so it will come..

@satchitananda lovely menu

satchitananda likes this.