1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    rachaputi, Gauri03, Naari and 4 others like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@pumpkin01 happy birthday to your son. lovely cake and it is the effort that he will remember proudly for long. good to have you back.

@sravanitenali u too

@satchitananda had a punjabi classmate whose mom would soak the scraped and scooped karela with salt hadi and tamarind and dry in sun. fill them with paneer or potato stuffing and cook. though lovely and yum i believe the fun of having karela is the bitterness.it is there for a reason..

sauting in onion and tomatoes and adding a spoon of curd while cooking reduces bitterness if it matters. and yes pitlai is another way to relish it.

lovely yummy plates as usual.

VaniVyas, pumpkin01 and satchitananda like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Nonya i make dosas without oil and sometimes no rice too. been mia here so not sure which thread. but it is again calories and but a well fermented batter is full of pro biotic and the side dishes matter. a chicken gravy or whole well made chutney can spike the calories

at the end it is the balancing of calories by sensible eating that can do the trick.

satchitananda likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

been under the weather and still down.. one of the reasons for no plates or posts from me..

IMG_4462.JPG

a plate in last week.. barley, beetroot raita, beet sabji and vathakuzhambu and curds..

IMG_4489.JPG
    today still not doing great. so everything
    in a bowl.. tindli/ivy gourd or dondakaya or kovakkai sabji, greens sabji,bittergourd sabji a little rice with dal fry..

kkrish, VaniVyas, rachaputi and 7 others like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy, good to see you again. Lovely, colourful plates. Sorry to know that you are still not doing great. Hoping things settle down soon and you are your peppy self again.

@Nonya, I am sure eating rice substitutes instead of rice is a good idea and is a healthy option for making idlis/dosas. One thing I am not sure about is whether the fermentation process changes the glycaemic index either way. If it reduces it, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Of course, I love trying other stuff too and would certainly try out the recipe you have shared.

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Socha, chalo, let me cook today after days of dining out and feasting singularly on biryani.

Here are (1) Potato gratin styled dish in tomato sauce. (2) Besan omelette, cheela (3) Green rice.

upload_2017-7-18_20-17-44.png

kkrish, VaniVyas, Gauri03 and 5 others like this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I hope you feel better soon, @Shanvy.

We make mithai from karela/bitter gourd. It tastes surprisingly good. :thumbsup:

satchitananda likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wow! Iravati! That looks divine. Recipe for the potato gratin thingy please!

9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nobody seems to have missed me here! :grinning-smiley-048:

Dinner from last week. Dum aloo, basil raita, vangi bhat with barley and brown rice, 1 roti

din1.png

SunPa, Rihana, kkrish and 11 others like this.