1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch box that keeps food warm

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Lakshmipav, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

Hello moms..

my dd is going to school very short .. Can u suggest me some lunch box
    which keeps food warm .. Like rice n curry ..

school said it should be standerd lunch box n small thermos ..

i didnt undertand are these two items are different ..?

How u guys pack ur kids lunch .. In steel boxes or plastic boxes ..

then how do u make sure food is warm for lunch ..

please suggest me where can I try like toys r us n ..target

2. itzmelvk

itzmelvk Silver IL'ite

Try thermos insulated lunchbox. search in Amazon to get some idea. My kids say it is sort of ok it does not get dry and kids love their container. Try to avoid plastic box I use just plastic lunch box on sandwich days. You can also provide in Pyrex or snap it glass container; it might be bit heavy for kids to carry with water bottle but they are useful if school can warm their food up. Also I have heard lunch bots are great for school. I am planning to get them for my kids next school year. Lunch bots small containers are great for snack box. Hope this helps.

i bought mine from Amazon after checking them out at container store. Container store is little pricey compared to Amazon. Also I had Amazon gift card wanted to use it ;-)

1 person likes this.
  3. itzmelvk

itzmelvk Silver IL'ite

My kids walk to school with their bags. For my older one who just started school on library days she has 3 library books which she borrows for the week and days when school sends reading books she finds it heavy with Pyrex container so I schedule them accordingly. If you carry your kids bag then no worries about it. Just FYI

1 person likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

5. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

Ladies thanks for the advice ... Have found it in Amazon ..

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

how old is your kid? DO they have microwave in school to heat food?

My kid goes to daycare and earlier i was in same confusions. did not want to use plastic and keep food warm also. Her daycare did not have heating options.
    Now I have given up and take the easy way out.

Pyrex can be very heavy so you can pick high quality/ BPA free plastic or corningware ( I recently saw some kitchen server bowls with covers , they are plastic kind of material but super quality and have seen people carry as lunchboxes. )

For food warm,
    I have Thermos food jar ( I love it), funtainer thermos , and MIRA's food jar.
    My kid does not use any but if we go out, I use them.
    Since they can contain only 1 type of food ( like pulao, khichadi) , not useful for LO yet.
    BTW, I have heard, seen and research about zojirushi thermos. It is very expensive and heavy but great. I almost bought one for kid but then did not want to buy 70$ lunch box without touching/looking at it. I heard it is sold in oriental stores also.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3,

thanks for the input ..my dd is 3 years old going to school first time ..
    The school seems like dint have microwave bcoz get mentioned we need to send food in small thermos if food needs to be warm ..

and sunce school timings are untill 2.30 I can't simply send snack or fruits .. It's not enough I think so am planning to send some rice n curry or kichdi, upma like that ..

so have find pinnacle leak proof thermos lunch box on Amazon .. Have to see if that works fine .. It says it keeps food warm for 4 hours .. Giving a try ..

8. sanjuruby3

Yeah..you can use insulated bags to retain temp longer. Also if u have time in the morning, to keep food warm for longer, pour hot water in thermos, close for few minutes, then replace with food.

9. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

We recently invested in Zojirushi bento lunch boxes. They are amazing. Food was piping hot when I had my lunch at around 12.30 which was packed at 8.00. So now we have 4 of those 2 for DH and me and 2 for Daycare. For day care I have this Zojirushi small bento

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. sanjuruby3

Hi aspha
    Can you tell which version do you have for yourself/DH? Also did u buy online?
    Is small version too small for adults? I want to buy but want to see it in store.