1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Box And Lunch Ideas For A Grade2 Kid

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by peddadas, Aug 23, 2017.

1. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Hi All Mommies out here,

Was just wondering how do you pack kids lunch boxes for school goers in US especially East Coast, just that we know the weather can be terrible sometimes.

Like:

-> What are the types of lunch boxes you buy ?
    -> How many days you prepare food and pack it?
    -> what types of food do you pack?
    -> Will you let your kid eat in the school(school food) anytime, at least for socializing purposes?
    -> What snacks that you buy outside and pack for them ?
    -> What snacks you make at home and pack them ?
    --> How do you socialize with your kids classmates ?

I know my questions are very basic and might sound silly, but I always have hard time packing food for my DD.

I do cook everyday and I am working mom, I commute 1hr 30 mins one way (total 3 hrs in transit time).

TIA Ladies,
    PS

2. sangeetha1982

sangeetha1982 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have two school going kids -- one in middle school and one in primary school in the US.

Type of lunch box:
    Over the years, Bento lunch boxes have become my favorite, since they are leak proof and have multiple compartments. That way I can pack different foods - like fruits and veges along with a main course meal. So even if my child does not eat one thing, there is another she might try and eat.

How many days you prepare food and pack it?
    Typically 4 days a week. On Fridays she eats pizza at school.

what types of food do you pack?
    We are vegetarians. So I typically pack her vegetable sandwich, cooked potatoes and other vegetables sandwich and other toasts, Quesadillas, pastas, wraps, mixed rice or pulavs, garlic bread etc. and occasionally mini idlies and colorful uthappams.

Will you let your kid eat in the school(school food) anytime, at least for socializing purposes?

Yes. Every once in a while, they organize get-togethers. But almost always there is pizza and fruit slices for sure. So she eats those when she needs to socialize.

What snacks that you buy outside and pack for them ?

I buy granola bars, fig bars, juice boxes and other cookies and cracker varieties for snacks. I also make sure to pack one fruit everyday for snacks. My DD has 2 snack breaks and a lunch break. So I end up packing quite a number of boxes!

What snacks you make at home and pack them ?
    She refuses to take any Indian savories I make at home for snacks. Occasionally she would ask me for ribbon pakoda etc, but usually she does not prefer it. But yes, when I make vadais or pakoras kind of stuff, then yes-- she loves to take those. But that is not often.

How do you socialize with your kids classmates ?
    She plays a sport at school, which is typically immediately after school. So that is her primary way to socialize with her classmates. We do take her for her classmates bday parties, and once in a blue moon have play dates. But again, that's not often. If the school organizes some kind of Book Fair or Halloween kinds of parties, we do take her for those.