1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lump in the breast

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by RekhaViju, Dec 9, 2009.

1. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rekha,

Hugs dear, get well soon. I second Pon. Fenugreek would increase the supply, right now you need to treat the obstructed duct. Do not mix ayurvedic and allopathic at the moment.

Here’s a note on antibiotics in mastisis and what can be done:-

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022200.asp

2. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

hi rekha.
    so sad to know your dosage had gone up..
    get well soon...:)

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

One drink should not have an effect, but in your place I would back off fenugreek for a while. Rekha, you are under a lot of stress, a/b is not making things easy for you either. So, your supply may be a bit low for a while. If you need to put her on your breasts more often, do do that. Once you beat the infection, things should be back to normal. Mastitis in itself and a/b can affect supply. I did not have mastitis, but had MRSA type abscesses and was on a/b sporadically for 3 months - left me feeling like a ragdoll. Could it be that your a/b is hurting her tummy - will they prescribe her a probiotic, it helps to have some good guys swimming in you.

4. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

tikka, I am under lot of stress because Laya is behaving strangely since yday. Previously, whenever she was upset giving her milk would have stopped her crying. Since yday, this trick is not working. In fact she was getting more cross if I put her on hte breast. She is feeding fine when she is hungry but is often very fussy, could be undersupply? I am really feeling bad for her. I dont know if it has got anything with the a/b or just another growth phase.

The lump seems to have gone, although the slight red colour is there. Looks like I have to take a/b for one more week ;-(, the doctor has prescribed the double dosage for one more week.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

It looks like she is used to flow in your right breast. It is possible to nurse from just one side - if you are game for it. Somehow what you right here reminds me of what Poonam posted about her LO, could it be that she is becoming more aware of the world around her and her own body and she is not processing it all well. Could it be that she is aware of fullness, her need to pass bm, need to pee, but does not quite figured out her controls... If the a/b is not bothering her, then it is perhaps the awareness. Could she be tuning into how unwell you are feeling and does not like mommy being down. It is known to happen...am taking wild guesses here :-D I wish they came with an owner's manual and you can know why they are crying... incidentally, have you seen this on baby's cry and what it means.
    Healing vibes.

6. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Thank Pon and Lynnette and aparna.

Lynnette, after reading through the link you have given it looks to me like the GP didnt have to prescribe a/b for me. I didnt have any fever or severe form of mastitis, it was just the swelling and slight pain whouch should have gone away with the other measures suggested.

Tikka, you are a wonderful source of information. The increased dosage of a/b would take me to another week of a/bs. So I called him today and said I would like to complete only the first course which is until tomorrow. Luckily I have saved 2 lower dosage tablets (250 mg) and I asked if I can have that. Two more of that and two more of 500mg would mean I have completed the one week course.

When I squeeze my breast I can still see milk flowing, so probably I am not yet undersupply (I hope not!)

7. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

tikka, I cant remember Poonam's post on this. Interesting read on different types of cry. I feel Laya's is more of tiredness. When I put her on her shoulders she coos with my song ;-). She doesnt like cradle position anymore and want to be on the shoulders when she is upset.

8. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

tikka, I guess you were right! yday evening she slept for about an hour and when she woke up she seems to have completely forgotten everything. she was on my breast most of last evening and night, poor little one!

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Rekha babies are so innocent isn't it. Good for you, its working and its better than pumping what say :)

You feel better don't worry.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

rekha, lots of hugs to u....i hv gone through a similar phase, not mastitis but gastro intestinal infection and they put me on a/b.... the pain before passing stools everyday was so bad i cldnt walk straight....and i saw how fussy zoey had been for almost a wk.. cranky dnt know for what reason!

its good to know now she is latching on, reafd that on infants 09 thread... mastitis will soon become history, and i hope and wish she is back to her normal feeds....

rekha, believe it or not... since both our bubs are almost the same age, i am guessing, she has just become more aware of her surroundings... even if u are unwell and upset THEY KNOW...
    zoey immitates me now, lot of times.... when i eat she makes big "Os" lol
    when she sees our dog, she smiles! giggles
    she also knows how to entertain us these days... she knows if she puts up a big fuss i will rock her for long in my arms and she does that every so, at night before sleeping...
    she also knows if she giggles we laugh and give her more attention, and so she does that

wen DH was upset the other day,the baby who is so wiggly and fussy at those times, was staring at him throwing her arms in air, and making circles, cooing, trying all tricks to entertain and calm DH down... !???!!!

babies are more smarter than we think rekha, and she just realises the changes.... and is fussy, this too shall pass.... and she be happy baby in no time.... dont worry :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009