1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lump in the breast

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by RekhaViju, Dec 9, 2009.

1. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

My LO somehow hates my right breast, she always feeds properly only from the left. Because of this, I always feed her my right breast first, when she is fussy I move her to the left.

Since yesterday night I noticed that my right breast is lumpy, is this common at all? I am all scary as one of my cousins is undergoing chemo right now for breast cancer. (I was talking to her yesterday).

I read in the net it is possible to have lumps during breast feeding, does any one here have any experience. I am actually a bit scared ;-(

2. msharadha

msharadha New IL'ite

Hi Rekha,
    This happens most of the time with infants, even I had suffered with the lump as my kid was having milk only from right, I had milk accumulated on the left. You need to pump out the milk from the breast which has the lump, either use the breast pump or you can do it with your hand(from my experience hand is better). When the kid is sleeping he/she will not know frmo which breast they are being fed, so at that time use the breast he does not feed on. Hope this clarifies your doubt. In case you have severe pain, please contact the doctor.

Regards,
    Sharadha

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  3. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

hi rekha.
    this mite be due to accumulation of milk...
    try pumping out of squeeze out extra milk and give luke warm massage..
    it will be fine in a week..

4. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sarada and aparna. I noticed this only last night. I am pretty sure it was not there before, as I lightly massage my breasts during shower.

i am trying to feed her on the affected breast more and pumping some milk using hand. I am also warming the area.

aparna, does it take a week to go away? Tension till then? Btw, I see that your locaiton is cochin, I am from there ;-)

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Agree with Sharadha, sounds like a blocked duct. You are doing good by massaging in the shower. Moist heat generally relieves blcoked duct. The other thing that can help is to nurse your baby when you are on top of her and she is right under you, but that does involve some gymnastics and may be hard on some mommies. Do you do compressions when your feed your baby on the right side? That could help her staying latched on for longer.

6. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

yeah rekah atleast a week coz one of my friend had to go to doc to clear it off...
    she was advised warm water massage too!!
    i stay at cochin...
    nice to see you.

7. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

tikka, sorry for my ignorance. but what exactly do you mean by 'doing compressions'?

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

kellymom.com :: Newman :: Breast Compression
    Sorry, I lose track of who I link what to, I thought I had posted about breast compressions to you. I thought if the flow is a little quicker, it may encourage little L to stay latched on.

9. SwapnaMurthy

SwapnaMurthy New IL'ite

Hi,

I had the same pblm i always used to feed in my left breast.I got pain in my right it was for more than 20 days.I was taking some tablets (Antibiotic) Pain was so severe it didnt decrease got increased.Not able to walk also.

Finally in chennai Apollo i went and consulted they told imeediately i have to go for an surgery.That pain will be better than what i was suffering.
    Then they gave Anaesthesia and made 3holes no stitches also for that it have to close automatically.They took 100ml PUzz.

Really i never suffered like this Even delivery was better when compared to this.That was known as Breast Abcess.Than the pain my kid was crying for milk i was not able to hear her voice my parents , hubby and my sister suffred a lot conviencing her.Because she was 4months old that time.Then we started giving NAN1.

This is because of our carelessness our kid including family members have to suffer.This was an bitter experience.

I pray to god no one must face this like me.

So be careful when it is starting itself , then u will be ok my friend.

Regards,
    Swapna

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

rekha, just saw this thread, although i replied to this the other thread u posted under infants 09..... yes it is blocked duct....i hv had this prob in those early days... the thing that helped was warm washcloths... :) also a gentle massage on the affected breast will help... and no it wont take a wk if it isnt too bad... mine was almost okie the nxt day...keep feeding her on that breast as well... and yes breast compression as tikka mention will help if she stops or slows down on nursing on the affected breast.