1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lullabies From Hindi Movies

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Our relationship with our mother starts from the very day of conception. She gives us a body and a mind. In the comfort and safety of her womb, we are nourished by her through her umbilical cord. She chooses her food carefully during her pregnancy in order that we get our proper nourishment and not fall sick. She endures her great pain when she delivers us in great expectation and dreams in her heart. For the first few months we are as helpless as we were in her womb. The lullabies that she sings to put us to sleep establish an enduring relationship of love between us and the mother.
    I have pleasure in presenting lullabies from Hindi movies.

This is from the movie Sujatha with music by S.D.Burman sung by Geeta Dutt

From the movie Masoom (1983) Music by S.D.Burmon and sung by Aarti Mukherjee. Star on the screen is Shabana Azmi

Sung by Lata in the movie Lamhe. On screen is Waheeda Rehman. Music by Shiv-Hari

From the movie Lajwanti. On screen is Nargis. Music by S.D.Burman Sung by Asha

From the movie Kath Putli (1957). On screen is Vyjayanthimala. Music by Shankar Jaikishan and sung by Lata

Rajijb, pumpkin01, Rihana and 5 others like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya sri, lullabies are integral part of childhood along with bedtime stories. Kathputli all tracks are wow inspiring..so is sujatha..

You.missed sur mai akhiyon mein, there is something soothing in the music,lyrics or voice..any language,the effect has been the same..

Vaatsalyam by bjy has been a favorite list that we have been playing for long.. and
    This one by ks chitra is so soothing..again it is available in tamil too.

Dheerese aaja reh nindiya akiyan
    me ..

Cheeniya, cur123, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Anna

All lullaby songs are very soothing.The ones you have posted are my favorite.

For my children I used to sing Neelavanna Kanna vada. My elder daughter tells me because you sang that song both of us got a husband Gopalakrishnan and Krishnan

Cheeniya, Gauri03 and kcb like this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Lovely songs.....

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir, @Shanvy and you covered most of my favorites especially nanhi kali sone chali, surmayi ankhiyon mein and gudiya rani bitiya rani, all songs I have sung to my kids. Another one I used to sing was this one, though technically it wasn't a lullaby in the movie.

Mere ghar aayi ek nanhi pari from Kabhie Kabhie, sung by Lata.

Some others I remembered,

Dheere se aaja ri ankhiyon mein from Albela (1951),

So ja rajkumari from Zindagi (1940) sung by K L Saigal,

Main gaaon tum so jao from Brahmachari by Rafi,

6. Cheeniya

@Shanvy
    We are talking about Filmy lullabies here. I know a lady in Chennai who got her Ph.D with her thesis on Lullabies. She had traced it from the mythological days! You know the stories like how Prahlāda—while being in his mother's womb—got to hear Narada's chants and became a devotee of Lord Vishnu. Even today, I have heard the tribal ladies of the Nilgiris singing really ancient lullabies.
    Thank you for the songs that you had included.

pumpkin01 likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

iyerviji likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@kcb
    Thanks a lot kcb. I am glad that you like the songs selected here

9. Cheeniya

@Gauri03
    Deere sa aaja is one of my all time favourites. Geeta Bali was a great favourite of mine and it's a pity she died so young. I love the way she sings the song in the movie.
    Soja rajkumari soja is a song that only Saigal could sing. I had a colleague in the bank who could sing exactly like Saigal but he would say that this song was beyond his capacity to sing. Saigal too died at a young age due to excessive consumption of alcohol. He had sung another song in the same movie, mai kya janu kaya jadu hai. I sang this song in a Rotary get-together once and all my fellow Rotarians were of the uniform opinion that he was lucky to be not alive now!

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One could think that Hindi movies stopped having lullaby songs after the turn of the century. But this haunting yet soothing song can qualify as a lullaby. Pyara sa gaaon from Zubeidaa, released in 2001. A beautiful song that I have had the accidental pleasure of listening after a gap of 3-4 years at a time when it auto-plays after another song. One of those songs where one can forgive Lata for not retiring earlier. The movie's other songs are also unforgettable. The movie was one of Karishma Kapoor's more watchable ones. Fine acting by Manoj Bajpai and Rekha too.

Cheeniya likes this.