1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Low Cal South Indian Recipes for Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by AKJ, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Yes Lakshmi .. It tasted too good for me with sambar..

2. LakshmiMohan

LakshmiMohan Gold IL'ite

I will post my experiments here.Please give the comment after trying those. :cheers

3. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

FYI,

Sambar is SUPER low on calories if you cut down the oil during tadka. It's loaded with goodness from the dal to the veggies :)

I sometimes just gulp down sambar :D

4. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chinni ,

I have cut down the number of idlies from 4/5 to 2.5 . I take it with more sambar . I feel full now even with 2 idlies .

5. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Excellent recipe this is . I kept these steamed paruppu usilli idlies and Moong dhal + Oats batter in my refrigerator this weekend . Tasty and low cal too .

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Ils,

I have a question. How do you make wheat dosa filling?...Any ideas?...I take it with veg and sambar. I often feel hungry with wheat dosa

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Grate veggies of your choice and make it like utappam. Most convenient for me is onion,capsicum and carrot with some ginger and cilantro,ofcourse. OR increase the quantity of vegetable (curry) and make your sambar with more veggies.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

hmm..Let me try that..Thanks :)

9. SVS

SVS New IL'ite

Hi Aswini,

Can u please give the receipe for barley w/brown rice for preparing dosa?

~SVS.

10. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Here are some of my contributions for this thread.

1. Raagi dosa : Mix raagi flour with water slightly thinner consistency than normal dosa batter and mix onions, jeera and nicely cut green chillies and ginger, grated carrot (you can add capsicum also) and salt. Make small dosas and keep lid after spreading dosa so that it will get cooked. If you want you can spray olive oil lightly. It taste nice by itself or else enjoy with curd.
    The same can be prepared using combination of raagi flour, rice flour, semolina rava (1 : 1 : 1/2 ratio or else 1 : 1/2 : 1/2 ratio).
    Note : You can also use besan or wheat flour instead of raagi flour.

2. Vegetable idli : You can mix grated or thinly sliced carrot, capsicum, green peas in idli batter and prepare vegetable idlis and enjoy with rasam.

3. Vegetable Wheat rava upma : Use just very little oil and keep 2 cloves, 2 cardomom,6 black pepper when the oil gets heated up, then add pudina and coriander leaves, then 2 thinly sliced green chillies, and inch of thinly sliced ginger pieces and then 2 cups of cut vegetables (carrot, capsicum, green peas, cauliflower or broccoli, beans) and fry them adding little salt for 2 min. on high flame and then add 1 cup of water and add desired quantity of salt as per taste. When the water gets boiled add 1/2 a cup of wheat rava (you can use semolina rava also if desired) and keep the lid and simmer until its cooked.

4. Oats upma : Same as wheat rava upma with veggies. Just use oats instea of wheat rava.

5. Rice flour dosas : Mix the rice flour with butter milk to get a consistency of dosa batter (it tastes nice if the buttermilk is little bit sour) and mix onions, green chillies, jeera, thinly sliced ginger and prepare small dosas and don’t forget to keep a lid on it so that they cook nicely.

6. Coriander and pudina chutneys : fry pudina or coriander leaves (3 bunches) with very little oil and keep aside to cool.Take1/2tsp coriander seeds, ½ tsp jeera, and dry roast and then keep all these in the mixie jar and add 4-5 green chillies, desired amount of salt, 2 garlic cloves and add little bit of tamarind ( soaked in water) and grind to desired consistency. These chutneys will taste good with dosa, idli, upmas or even you can spread them on a toast bread and also a thin layer of curd over it.

7.Variety of curd chutneys with only a little amount oil also taste good. You can use bottle gourd, capsicum, beetroot, tomato, carrot, snake gourd etc.
    Just dry roast sesame seeds, groundnut seeds, grated coconut, coriander seeds, jeera, mustard, black pepper, cloves, cinnamom and grind them along with green chillies and garlic. Then take a very little amount of oil in a pan and add hing when it is hot, then turmeric and then add the thinly cut pieces of desired vegetable with little salt and fry for just 2 minutes and add the ground paste of sesame, groundnut,etc and stir for another 2 min. and keep aside to cool. When it gets cool add some curd and water to it and salt if necessary. :thumbsup

Regards,
    Latha.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.