Low Cal Chinese Veg Manchurian

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by shivachoubey, Jul 14, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

I love Chinese food and I have such lovely memories attach to it. When I was in mumbai I used to love going to Chinese retros and watch rain fall through the glass window while I sip away my hot sweet corn soup followed by steaming hot noodles, Manchurian and what not.

I love rains and I love having hot chinese food watching the rain outside my window. Its gives me that cosy lovely feeling.

Manchurian is my husband's favorite dish. I love it too but after weight loss the whole dish seems nothing but a sure short way to weight gain. Its a bowl thickened with cornflour and added to it are fried vegetables balls ouch!!!!.

Once I saw a cook making it, he grinded the veggies added cornflour and fried the vegetable balls. Again cornflour went to thicken the gravy

Just because I eat low calorie food and I want to lose weight it does not mean that weekends will be sad for me. Oh no they won't.

Ever since childhood I used to love sundays because it meant something special will be made that day, ever since I grew up and got married I have followed the tradition. The only difference now is that my husband looks forward to weekends because he knows that he is gonna get some tasty food to eat
    for a change.

This Manchurian is far healthy than the one we get outside and guess what its damn tasty too. Little cornflour cannot be avoided. I made it as an experiment, my husband was preparing himself to eat a disastrous meal and to both our surprise the dish came out really tasty and matched the outside dish. This is now a regular weekend meal for us and a hot favorite with my DH.

Here is what we need for the recipe

Ingredients for the Manchurian Balls

1.3/4 cabbage.

2. 1 big capsicum.

3. 1 carrot.

4. 9-10 garlic pieces

5. 1 inch Ginger

6. 2 tsp of corn flour.

7. Salt to taste

8. 2 tsp oil.

[​IMG]

Procedure For Manchurian Balls

1. In a grinder, grind all vegetables, ginger and garlic.

2. Add Salt and cornflour to the grinded vegetables.

[​IMG]

3. In a pan heat the oil and cook the mixture. You need to cook it till it become sticky like dough. Keep stiring it in between so that it does not stick to the bottom. The moment you feel that it has become like a dough where in all the veggies have gone soft and are cooked, switch off the gas.

[​IMG]

4. Its best to keep the ball mixture in a fridge for 2 -3 hours. I know its a pain but that the best I could do. I prepare the ball mixture at night and keep it in fridge and use it the next day. We need the mixture to be cold else the balls won't hold themselves.

5. Now once cold mixture is ready, make the balls and keep aside, do it after heating the pan. One more trick that I learnt is that its best to make the balls a little small and not big.

[​IMG]

6. Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil and grill the balls. Everything is cooked we just want to make the balls crispy.

View attachment 130120

PS: Keep few balls aside without frying them on the pan, you can crumble them and add to gravy for enhancing the taste.

Ingredients for Gravy:

This is very easy, just takes max 10 minutes to prepare.

1. Green onions chopped.

2. Capsicum, carrots chopped. You can add other veggies but I had just these at that time.

3. 1 whole pod garlic fresh paste.

4. 1 inch ginger fresh paste

5. 2 tbsp oats powder. Just take Quaker white oats and grind them in a powder.

6. Soya sauce 2 tsp or according to taste.

7. Vegetarian oyster sauce 1 tsp (optional, I had it so I used it).

8. 2 tsp oil.

9 Salt to taste.

10. 1 or 2 cup water.

View attachment 130121

Procedure for gravy

1. Heat oil in a pan and add ginger garlic paste. Saute for few seconds.

2. Add all the veggies and cook on high flame for 5 minutes. The vegetables should be crisp and almost cooked. The way they have in Chinese food.

View attachment 130122

3. In half cup cold water add the oats powder and mix well.

4. Pour on the veggies. Stir well.
    Now adjust water quantity i.e if you want more water add slowly. I like adding few paneer pieces too, they taste yum with this gravy. So if you like paneer go on throw it in

5. Add in the sauces and salt. Also crumble the balls that you have kept aside (non grilled ones) and add to the gravy. Boil till the gravy thickens.

6. Add the Manchurian balls. Give a final boil and serve hot.

View attachment 130123

I even froze this dish. It tasted awesome after reheating the only thing is that the balls will collapse when reheating but its fine, it gives such a nice thick taste.

View attachment 130124

Bon Appetite!!!

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Wonderful idea of cooking the veggies that shoukd go in the ball and then just roating it. It saves on the loads on oil that just gets absorbed while frying! And you have used so much veggies in the gravy to - totally healthy and totally yum yum :D

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

3. Aditi203

Aditi203 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva..
    Now this one is a wonderful healthier option for the boring weightloss weekends.I really appreciate three things about it:
    a) it's full of veggies.
    b) grilling the balls(instead of deep frying)
    c) and not to forget the oats powder in place of cornflour!
    Will surely try tomorrow and update the results..
    Secondly there's a bad news... :(
    Last fortnight i lost 4kgs(82-78),but unfortunately this fortnight i lost just 1kg(78-77)..
    Is it because i was going low on Lauki juice?
    I was expecting myself to be 75kgs..
    Dont know where i went wrong,is it because i ate half plate vada sambhar at a restuarant this week?
    Anyways..thanx for the recepie..
    Stay in touch..

With Heaps of Love:
    Aditi

4. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Wow!! I too just luvvvvvvvv chinese food but since Munchurian is depp fried, i usually avoid it.... I will definitely try this version .... hope my hubby likes it ;-)

Just a tip for making the balls..... Add little bit of cooked rice into the mixture .... this will bind the mixture and you can freeze it for an hour and make your munchurian .... no need to wait for next day to relish your munchurian balls :)

5. shivachoubey

Thanks for such lovely and healthy words about the recipe.

Have a great day ahead.
    regards

Shiva

6. shivachoubey

Thanks for appreciating the recipe. The first 4 to 5 kgs are easy to pull down. A little change in your lifestyle and exercise is all you need. But as the weight starts falling it becomes more difficult to reduce weight. SO hang in there. Also start with light dinner and increase the speed of your walking/exercising.

Its best to lose weight at a slow pace as body gets time to adjust to the new level. So you are doing good. Just hang in there and be patient and you will see result.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

7. shivachoubey

Glad you liked the recipe. I am sure you and your DH will love the recipe, its so damn tasty.

The rice idea is good. I am sure gonna give it a try. Thanks for sharing the tip.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

8. Aditi203

Aditi203 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva!
    Thanx for your motivation and support..
    I have already increased the speed..time is what i still need to work on..
    Leaving for my hometown(Lucknow) on 17th july,for a week..
    I wont be able to continue with my walks there(daughter in law is supposed to wear a saaree :(
    Will try to be intelligent with my diet only to compensate with the walking loss..
    Wish me luck!

P.S. Will be in touch with you on 26th!

Bye and take care
    Heaps of Love:
    Aditi

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Wow Shiva I didnt know manchurian is so easy to prepare, thanks for sharing the recipe:)

10. shivachoubey

All the very best dear. I will be waiting to hear from you on 26th. Just try maintaining your diet and you will be good. Enjoy your vacation and have fun.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva