1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love Means..........

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Tubelight, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

"Love Story", by Erich Segal, must be one modern classic that touched everyone everywhere. Because at heart, that endearing story had no nationality which only some could relate to. It was a very Human Story that anyone anywhere, from Scandinavia to Timbuktoo, can find absorbing.
    The Hollywood movie based on this book created greater waves, reaching even non-readers.

In India, umpteen variations of that same theme have been made into films in all languages.

"Love Means Never Having To Say you are Sorry" became an anthem quote for a whole generation.

The novel was one of the gifts my father had given my mother, his new bride, when they got married in 1970.
    Mother passed on that same book to me when I got engaged !Thats when I read it.

Segal later wrote, "Oliver" , extending the same character's life. Some say the character of Oliver was based on a student at the same University where Segal taught. That student was Al Gore !
    But all his other works, though equally brilliant, will always have to remain in the shadow of the love story of Oliver & Jennie.

Now Erich Segal has also passed on to the great Beyond. Farewell , beloved writer, RIP.

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

So very truely said - the book did touch a lot of hearts and one was jst one of them..

Tubelight, your words brought me light that he recently passed away. May his soul rest in peace..