1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love Letter - Needs your reply! - CONTEST

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Induslady, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vasu us the typical man in our society !

Dear Sridhar , Vidya’s letter just hits the nail on the head ! The husband takes into consideration all aspects of his life including his duty to his parents. He expects the wife to be “understanding” – the most misunderstood word in our society ! Why can’t he be more understanding that marriage works on two-way traffic principles. Why does a man always expect the wife to be “sacrificing “, another word commonly used to a wife’s disadvantage. Sacrifice , at what cost & why ? Is she not a normal human being going through the biological & psychological pangs of separation from a husband ? At least to threaten Vasu ( I hope so ! ) this letter was necessary to be written to him ! Hats off to you , for writing from a woman’s point of view !
    Regards,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Chitra For The Nice Words!

When this story was published in Vikatan in May 98 the first fan mail I got from a person in Tirunelveli proclaimed that I should be a woman hiding under the guise of a masculine pen-name. He told me clearly that a man could not think like that at all.
    I treasure that as the greatest compliment ever paid to me.
    thanks for your nice words once again,
    sridhar

3. Rajni

Rajni New IL'ite

Good one!!!

That was a very strong dose for vasu form vidya. it was a very nice work from u sridhar.

I know i cannot enter the contest thru this post. i am sure. But this is what i feel vasu would do after reading vidya's letter. He surely would not have waited to write a letter. He would call her and tell her he would be home after getting himself relieved from the job. If u say they did not have phones then, Vasu would just give her a surprise by returning home once he finished all formalities with his company.

4. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

suggestion

The entries for the contest should not be put up for public viewing till the results are declared. What happens is that those who enter later get a chance to read what is already posted - and it's easy to add/improve/embellish what is already written.
    Sharada

5. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Hi,

I am a new member to this site. I joined yesterday only. I was going through the site and happened to read your stories Love Letter and The Scar. Both were really good.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I agree - but this was our idea

Hello Sharada,

Thanks for the post. We fully appreciate your concern. In fact, when Varalotti sent us the love letter story for the contest he did mention about it.

We did think about it and our idea behind letting members view the entries is the following:

1. By allowing public view of the entries, the number of entries itself will motivate many of our members to try their hands on it. If we had asked particpants to private message us with their response, other folks would not know the participation leval and not be motivated to participate.

2. Also, on the first thought not all members are regular writers. On viewing the different entries, they would get an idea and would want to try writing using their imaginative skills.

3. Another thing we considered was that in our August climax contest, even though the entries were visible to all members, the climaxes were substantially different from one another.

Considering the above, we decided to allow public viewing of the various entries. Hope our approach is acceptable. Please let us know if you have any concerns.

Indusladies Team

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Jaya, for your nice words!

Thanks Jaya for your nice words. Words of appreciation are the food of an artist - be her a writer, a painter or a Film Director.
    Whenever you have time read my other stories and let me have your views.
    sridhar

8. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

perhaps

Looking at it from your angle it seems allright. I hadn't considered the fact that other members are not regular writers. Still no one should use another's contribution as a springboard to derive ideas. In the last contest only 3 climaxes differed - the others sounded familiar both in content and language.
    My entry is almost ready - but I think I'll send it in towards the end!
    Regards,
    Sharada

9. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

20/8/2001

Vidya's letter is dated 20/8/2001, so Vasu's reply has to be dtd Sept/Oct 2001. Or else it will be 4 years too late - anything could have happened in the interim period! Either the writer has to alter the date in Vidya's letter or the contestants have to write --01. This might seem a minor oversight - but when there is a contest, there must be consistency and accuracy.
    Sharada

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  10. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Perfectionist!

Hello Sharada,

The above message shows you are a perfectionist!

When I got this contest from Varalotti, I noticed the date. I gave a thought about it whether it should be posted 'as is' or changed to recent date. But then, I felt the letter would be more real for the period 2001, for recently to my knowledge I have noticed many (if not most) husband's taking their wife with them when they go abroad. So I left it unchanged.

I would suggest you post your reply to the letter dated Sep / Oct 2001, so that it looks more consistent and accurate.

Does this satisfy the perfectionist?

Thank you for noticing the minor details too.