1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking Into The Horse Mouth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Mar 7, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

“Get ready fast. By the way what are we going to gift them?” my husband asked me as I was doing the onerous task of getting my toddler ready for the occasion.

My mother in law who was around asked me “What did they gift you last time?” . I looked at my husband and smiled. Fun has just begun.

For those who don’t know about Indian gifting scenario.. Let me tell you it works with the principles of economics and data analytics. There will be a running balance with debits and credits along where in the main transaction would have been done years or generations before.

If the current question is what to gift your cousin’s son for his wedding then we will have to turn the pages earlier and see ‘what your cousin gifted for your wedding’ and ‘What did you gift for his wedding?’ I know you are mumbling ‘Who remembers this’ but there are people who follow it up like cricket match score.

Let me explain you with an example:

Your Cousin gifted cash of Rs 1000 for your wedding, Rs 500 for the baby shower and Rs 500 for the kid’s first birthday.

Now you will have to gift something above 2000(1000+500+500) for his son’s wedding.

Inflation also comes into the picture. Say he gifted Rs.1000 during year 2005, so considering the inflation find the current present value.

Also apportionment needs to be considered. Say your cousin has a son and daughter, so you can divide the calculated amount into two.

So you finally derive the amount using these complicated formulas and round it off to nearest value. Then you can gift either cash or buy something worth the money.

There are several unwritten rule when it comes to gifting

• When gold was gifted to you, you gift back in gold. Of course you will have to do the calculation in terms of grams as explained in above example

• You always try to recycle the gift: Is the Cup and saucer set someone gifted for house warming lying useless without being taken out of box? Gift it in the upcoming wedding.

• You cannot ask someone what gifts they would prefer: Seriously I don’t know why people find it wrong. My mom treated me as if I have committed a serious crime when she came to know that I asked my cousin what she wanted.

If you follow any of the above it’s not gift giving and but an economic exchange.

It’s true you should not look a gifted horse in its mouth but it’s wise not to make someone look into the horse mouth.

coffeecups, sindmani, Doree and 5 others like this.

2. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

3. blackbeauty84

Thank you Sonal

4. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

I Lol-ed reading your snippet BB! But, its of course true! And, its also said its better to give cash gifts, its easier for them to evaluate and the giver can be assured that he will get it back, else what if the value of a gift was underestimated :p

Amica likes this.
  5. blackbeauty84

Thanks for the feedback Rajeni...
    Yeah yeah people do say that as one advantage of cash gifts ;-)