Looking For Easy Indian Meals That Can Be Prepared In College Dorm

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by abc00, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:08 AM.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My friend has a kid who goes to college just 1.5 hrs away. I asked why doesn't she give him some home-made food since they meet almost every other week. She says washing dishes in the dorm is a hassle. The common kitchen area is far away, and washing in the common bathroom's sink feels yucky (to the kid) plus there are strict rules on no food to be thrown in bathroom garbage to avoid ants and rats.

sindmani, Nonya, kkrish and 1 other person like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish Finest Post Winner

Ah, I never thought of it. Good point. When I recall my sons' dorms I can visualize this.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy Finest Post Winner

@abc00

i know as a mom you want to do everything that is possible for your kid to be comfortable.

i have a different pov. take a deep breath. take a step back. let your kid explore, analyse and come back to you with possibilities and requirements.

until then pack ready to eat snacls if you must.

kids in his uni will be more resourceful than you can think off and he will learn. so relax

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wise "back off" approach for the parent to adopt, but for kids who are vegetarian and/or grow up eating mostly Indian food at home, choices can be pretty limited in the already so-so dorm food. Add to that the humongous amount of study and work required, I don't know how much an 18-19 year old will look at possibilities. Eating out also gets repetitive after a while, and not all college campuses/towns have eating choices. The kids do their own laundry too. And are responsible for cleaning of their own room (not the toilet, but the rest like throwing out garbage and once in a while vacuuming).

Until the kid moves from dorm to apartment living, if there is a way to send food, and for kid to store it, heat it, and wash any dishes, worth it. I am thinking how I feel after 5 days of eating outside food on vacation, even in a cruise or resort. How badly I want Indian food, even start to long for my own homemade food (!) and how I used to search up Indian restaurant in the yellow pages. Used to search in the hotel room's desks for the thick directory (they had it in same draw as a bible), and then look for "Taj Mahal" or "Mughal.." in restaurant names as that was the only way to identify Indian restaurant. This was before yelp, before internet was so easily available.. I guess even before cell phones!

Sandycandy and justanothergirl like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy Finest Post Winner

@Rihana walking the talk. ds washes his laundry by hand. a regular indian uni you see, no laundromats.:blush:. the food is bad and mine has spd and suffers more. the toilets are common and let us not venture there.:rage: forget all of this. drinking water:smash2: ( i know this will start a india/us ! debate )

and i have been in hostels for 8 yrs during my time of studying and working. it is part of growing up. at the end of sem i usedto travel 25hrs and the next 1 month oh god the simple rasam at home tasted nectar. learnt appreciating every blessing.

and i believe back off is the best way to allow your chld to explore his options and get back if he can use a instapot or a mw.

it is hard on us as parents but the more we pamper it is going to be hard for them to adjust. let them find the way to improvise, adapt is my pov.

let us agree to disagree:blush:.