1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Look Maggie, I Walking

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Rihana, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You might have seen the viral videos of two year old Roman Dinkel walking, and so happily telling his dog, "Look Maggie, I walking."

I have watched it about 25 times this week. 20 times by myself.

Roman Dinkel was born with spina bifida, which:
    ... is a birth defect that occurs when the spine and spinal cord don't form properly. It falls under the broader category of neural tube defects. The neural tube is the embryonic structure that eventually develops into the baby's brain and spinal cord and the tissues that enclose them.

Normally, the neural tube forms early in pregnancy, and it closes by the 28th day after conception. In babies with spina bifida, a portion of the neural tube fails to develop or close properly, causing defects in the spinal cord and in the bones of the spine.

Possible complications are walking and mobility problems. The nerves that control the leg muscles don't work properly below the area of the spina bifida defect, causing muscle weakness of the legs, sometimes involving paralysis.

Source
    There are many videos of Roman and his family including news stories. Here are the two that will bring tears to your eyes and remind you of the sheer invincibility of the human spirit.

Both add up to less than a minute, but stay in the mind for so much longer. Watch and be inspired.

Srama, Cheeniya, GeetaKashyap and 4 others like this.

2. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

I missed the viral video in social media until you posted. Four bubbly words spoken in four proud legs aroused in me four hundred jolts of human inspiration from that small child. “Look Maggie, I walking” — if I were that Maggie, I would have wagged my tail crazy till it fell off in excitement at the small wonder of steeled inspiration.

Lalithambigai and Rihana like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

4. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

I didn't see this earlier. Thank you for posting. I am not sure if I should call it inspirational or cute or brave. May be mix of everything.

One way that baby make us realise how blessed we are & how much we need to be optimistic!

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,

I could feel a wave of multiple emotions hitting me hard. Felt extremely sad for the little one but It also felt good to see him and his moment of triumph! God bless this brave and cheerful toddler.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I felt extremely moved. I have no doubt that this child will triumph over his physical disability and become a beacon of hope for similar people. I need a stick these days to help me walk around without falling and this makes me depressed but not anymore. Not after seeing this brave child.
    Incidentally this also reminded me of the movie 'My left foot' starring Daniel Day Lewis. He plays the hero who is born with cerebral palsy. The biopic is all about his triumph over his disability to become a celebrity.

Rihana likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very touching

Rihana likes this.