1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Long Ago Days :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jul 2, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Memories of childhood written by my mother in Kannada. My son and I translated it.

My earliest memories are of our one-room house in Harady. I must have been around five years old in 1946. The room was part of the ‘kottage’ of the main house. My parents, I and my sister Jaya lived there. My mother’s maternal uncles and their families lived there. We used to call them ‘doddamava’, ‘doddatte’, ‘puttu mava’ and ‘puttatte’. Doddatte’s mother also lived there. She was a widow and used to wear white saris. We called her ‘Bili ajji’. My grandmother was ‘kempu ajji’ because she wore a red sari as a mark of her widowhood. I don’t remember where she lived when we were in the small house. Later on she came to live with us. In another part of the kottage my mother’s grandfather lived with his mistress. I remember watching with my sister Jaya, with fascination, as he used leeches to purify his blood. One day I fell and hurt myself. Back then we did not use ‘English medicine’. My puttatte applied sugar powder on the wound. It healed but left a mark on my left temple.

In 1947, my father purchased a plot of land with a thatched house just above the kottage. My mother was pregnant with my brother Gopala. He was born in that house. Everyone was so excited that a son was born into the family.

Kempajji, whose real name was Mukambike, came to live with us there. She was my grandfather’s first wife. Even after a few years they did not have children so she got her niece married to her husband. The irony is after her husband’s second marriage she herself became pregnant. A daughter was born to them. I don’t remember my ajji. Unfortunately I do not remember her name. She died young leaving behind her two small children, my father and my aunt. They were brought up by Bobbe ajji. My father used to call her Doddabbe. (Abbe means mother) We children called her Bobbe ajji.

She was a very enterprising lady. In the months of March and April she would go to the homes of relatives, stay there through the summer and help them prepare Jackfruit happala. As a token of appreciation they would give her some of the happala to take back home. She was a medicine woman, which means she knew many country remedies for various illnesses. Her medicines died with her. There is a custom among us which is called ‘dhrishti tegeyuvudu’ which is a ritual to ward off ill effects that were thought to influence children. A piece of iron was heated in the fire. This red hot iron was dipped in water kept in bowl on the threshold (hosthilu). This bowl was moved thrice around the child’s head. Then the water was thrown away. I remember Bobbe ajji doing this for my brother Gopala.

One more lovely incident I remember is trying to hit her with a wooden stick when she had been away for a long time leaving me behind. I loved her very much and wanted to be with her always.

She was an expert in a board game called daabelu played with cowrie shells (kavade). She would go to the uncles’ house to play this game with three other people. One half of a coconut shell was polished to smoothness and placed upside down on the floor. The floor was divided into four houses with chalk. Each player would shake the six shells in their hands and drop them on the curved surface of the coconut shell. If the cowries fell the right way up, the player would win a certain number of points; if they fell the other way the number of points would be different. They would play this game after nightfall in the light of the oil lamp. I remember that they would be immersed in the game for hours together.

(Ashta Chamma (board game) - Wikipedia)

Board game photo from the internet.

Kottage- a small room or rooms adjacent to the main house

Doddamava – Elder uncle, Puttu mava- younger uncle, doodatte -elder aunt, puttatte- younger aunt

Ajji – grandmother, Bili - white , Kempu- red

Happala- papad, crispy fried preparations. kavade.jpg

Amica, Viswamitra, Cheeniya and 7 others like this.

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi Lakshmi garu:)
    Nice memories of you. I was remembering my childhood days with my Grandparents while reading your memories. We called "Asta Chemma" board game as "Baara Katta". We used 2 four faced brass dice
    IMG_1410.JPG
    for that game and most of the time my grandma won against us. Wonderful days.
    Thank you for reminding those the sweetest memories with your write up.: )

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. aarthideshpande

aarthideshpande New IL'ite

Yeah even we use to play this game in the childhood days, it's called "pacheesi".... In mahabharatha pandavas and kauravas played this game. The picture posted in ur conversation reminds me of 'shakuni ke paasey'

LakshmiKMBhat and Mistt like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    We have our sweet childhood memories, extended families. Most of our memories are associated with people and simple living. Nobody is an outsider. Many come into the folds of family.
    But can we give next generation same type of memories with all the electronic toys and gizmos around? Parents have to make a lot of effort. Joint families have gone. In that structure, grandparents, uncles and aunts and cousins were there. Children share many things withe when hesitant to share with parents. Grandparents, uncles and aunts used to listen, hold their hand and give assurance that they can deal with whatever the problem is. So, no depression or suppression of feelings.
    Syamala

kalcandu and LakshmiKMBhat like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My granny used to tell this kind of stories when we were kids. I used to visualize these stories as per those periodic themes.
    The main thing that I noticed in those days lives was the relationship. People lived together for generations. Huge families, both husband and wife are somewhat related, so their extended families become common relatives anyways.
    They complement each other.

particularly there are many women in those households. At least 4-5 women.
    So, cooking, looking after the kids and doing all the chores in the house was not that tiring. Also, they did not have any other entertainment.
    So, they really enjoyed what they did inside their house.

My granny would say how much efforts she used to make while cooking a simple food. She would cut the veggies in a proper way, cook them in a specific way etc. But we used to do it all in 30 mins.
    They enjoyed cooking as a passion, and always ensured some home made fresh and crispy snack is ready. But we take it as a chore and feel helpless when our maids fail to come.

When it comes to the kids, I see those beautiful days as a blessing.
    There were so many good hearted people in the family to take care of all these kids safely. These kids has multiple homes and care takers.

Life was much easier and beautiful back then. My granny is no more to relive those wonderful days.

6. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Lakshmibhat , it was so wonderful to read these memories .
    I just loved it ! Thank you for translating and sharing . We can now have a good idea of what life was like in those days in that region .

What a charming lady this kempajji was ! How i wish i could have met her !
    Documenting such old memories for the future generations is a great service in Oral History .

I am sharing this article with other ladies in my relations ( who are not in this site ) who will just love it !

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

: ) my grandma used tamarind seeds as dice for that game. Like Shakuni, she had gotten whatever number she wanted to get. My grandparents are no more but my mories with them remains for me .l

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  8. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you Mistt :),,my mother's memories,she wrote them my son and I translated it :))

Mistt likes this.
  9. LakshmiKMBhat

My mother is very happy to read all your comments. She says thank you and is feel inspired to write more about her childhood. With regards, Lakshmi

Mistt likes this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Convey my regards to your mother. We are also enjoying reading her sweet memories and in the meanwhile remembering our childhood memories. : )