1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Living Separately And Happy Together

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

2. Thyagarajan

Well done so quick. Learnt it fast for your age.
    God bless.

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

sssSSHHHhh...
    What age ? Everybody is the same age on the internet.
    [​IMG]

4. Thyagarajan

Lol.

HariLakhera likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

You have nailed two important points for nuclear family formation namely a) migration and b) need for personal space. Career opportunities for both men and women have become endless and the world has become a global village. At the same time, technology made access to extended family so easy. In the previous generation, families consider the presence of parents, uncles, aunts and so on as a great opportunity to raise the children with good family values. Now, building a robust wealth for excellent education of the children combined with easy access to the extended family through technology enabled many couples to explore this option. In most cases, the need more than the differences of opinion that resulted in nuclear families. As long as everyone understands this, the life becomes smoother for everyone.

Thyagarajan and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Doubtlessly, technology has made life smooth. As long as there is love and respect for each other, it hardly matters if they meet daily or at long intervals. I would go to the extent to say that living under the same roof may be stressful for all. Grand parents should help in the growing up of grandchildren but not under compulsion as that becomes burdensome.
    The problem starts when they are facing some serious health issues. At that time, though all help is available at cost but somehow none can replace the emotional bonding. Keeping this in view some come to live with children or stay close. This is not always possible. A friend of mine living in Canada had to come home to see his near death ailing father and go back after recovery. On his third such visit he confided in me how he wished his father die. It was becoming difficult for him to neglect his job, manage finances and convince his wife in Canada. He loved his father but that was that.

7. Thyagarajan

:hello: My spouse & I too had that kind of nagging feel when we lived separately for over two decades and a half. Just to be together with my parents in their sunset years, We took early retirement and shifted to parents place at Chennai From Mumbai.

Initially in this joint family set up we were all a happy lot and my son and daughter were very happy as they were in their teens. They blended nicely with my parents.

But sooner the dissensions and dissatisfactions surfaced up and every night there was lot of pillow talk.

Few weeks later my spouse decided on something and jointly we told parents to stay separately under the same roof in ground floor. We equipped them with separate kitchen and hired a cook for them.

We lived in upstairs. My parents in downstairs were a lot happy. They enjoyed that extra mirchi In meal until 2009-10, while we had our chappathi and mild dishes.
    Thanks and Regards.

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

When the Tadka (Wikipedia has an entry for Tadka too !!) is done with mustard, curry leaves, dry-red-chilis, cumin etc. etc., the mild eaters would get the Tadka without the red chilies being slivered (cut open); the hot-eaters would have the Tadka with chilies cut open. That is the difference forin-living desi's use when long-lost relatives visit, or when having to slowly slowly get their foreign born children to the taste of cut-open chilies in the Tadka. This is done by first "tempering" the dish with half of the Tadka for the local family's consumption with the chilies unbroken, then the chilies will be broken in the rest of the Tadka, and that would be added to whatever (Rasam, Sambar, Dal etc.) that needs tempering.

Quite often the issue that HL raises would have nothing to do with how mirchified the meal is. Having to take care of the previous gen' costs a bunch -- in both mutual affection points, and in real money. Recently I had posted an American version of it in the Never Mind thread. It is a tough issue; and the solutions can never be generic. Each individual situation would be different. HL's Canadian friend would have a different experience that is unique and very different from anyone else's.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello: THANKS. Interesting and useful read.
    2. Quite an insight ON TADKAPEDIA.
    3. In our kitchen for spouse & I, it is always unslivered.

4. I wish I had stated this tadka in detail in

Spouse, Sambandhi & Uppuma

God loves all menu - tadka with or without mirchi.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

We can call it kitchen politics.

Thyagarajan likes this.