1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Live Today As If You Were To Die Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Feb 6, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Experience is the great teacher, it gives the test first and lessons afterwards.

I realized this in life recently, after miserably failing in the test that my life gave.

A few months back, my life was a big roller coaster ride. I had a hard time making decisions about my career, financial matters, future etc..etc..
    I was a bit too concerned about my future, and that of my little family because I felt my H is not responsible enough to be on the driving seat.
    Since the time I took over the "head" role of my family, things became haywire and I couldn't balance my work & life very well.
    With all this in head, I used to feel bad about my destiny. I used to worry so much about our future and the folks here may remember my repeated threads about all these concerns in the relationship forum.

A couple of weeks back, I met my school friend with her family. Her transformation from a typical lower class average looking girl to a high class posh looking elegant woman made me wonder, how life can be so good if you are married to a well settled man.

Yes, her life and everything about her changed after her marriage in the span of some 6-7 years.
    She has moved into a metro city, to a very luxurious apartment, and experienced a very stable, settled life with her loving spouse and 2 little kids aged 3.5 yrs and 3 months old.
    Apart from the excitements of meeting this pair after a long time, I felt little jealous about her life style though.
    This is exactly what I yearned all these while. A well settled life, where I should no longer worry about anything.

I even had an argument that night with my H, and I know it was originated from what I saw in my friend that day.
    I encouraged my H to work hard, earn more and contribute more to the family, so that my hard work and compromises will be paid off at least one day to live a beautifully settled life of my dream like my friend.

On last Wednesday, my H told me that he saw my friend's H at a leading hospital, stating that she was sick and admitted there.
    I brushed that off, thinking it could have been some infections or child related matter, as she was a new mother then. She didn't seem to be sick when I met her a couple of days back.
    The next day, a taxi guy from their place mentioned that so and so is seriously ill, and everyone from her home is rushing to the hospital now.
    I called up her H, and someone picked the phone and told me that she was in the ICU now. I was unsure about this news.
    I tried to reach out to them for more info, but couldn't get through that day.

On Friday, I tried my luck by calling her H again, but his mom picked the phone and cried inconsolably. She only gave me the message that she has passed away a short while ago at the ICU, due to unknown illness.

I rushed to the ICU immediately, where I found all her family members were weeping, and screaming as no one could bear this shock that easily.

It seems, she had Dengue, but unknowingly she had consumed painkillers for the body pain and headache due to the virus. Which caused internal bleeding, and her body wasn't able to fight back due to her weak immune system. She was a feeding mother, which made the case more vulnerable to Dengue.
    Within a span of a couple of days, the life of a very young (30 yrs old), beautiful, well settled, successful woman came to an end.

Her two young kids became motherless, her young husband became a widower and the fate of that well settled young family became so fragile with this unexpected loss.

For sometimes, I was clueless as to what I suppose to do. My head started to spin, and I cried as if the death was mine.

Everyone cried inconsolably looking at the innocent faces of those young kids, who tried to wake their momma from her eternal sleep.

Back at home, I revised this lesson that I learned at her funeral. After battling with the tests God gave me in the past few months, this lesson taught me everything i needed to know.

Is this the life I felt jealous about? Is this the life I called settled? Is this the life I demanded from my H?
    Is this the life I work hard for?
    When things are uncertain like this, why do we waste our todays for the unseen tomorrows?

With the past, you have nothing to do, nor with your future. Live now.
    Live today as if you were to die tomorrow, and learn as if you were to live forever!!!

This woman suddenly appeared in my life after so many years, only to teach me this eternal lesson to change my life.

May her soul rest in peace!

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very sad to hear the news. May her soul rest in peace. Now a days we can't say what is going to happen next minute. No use being jealous of others. In life I have learnt that we should be happy with what we have and lead a simple life. Money will come and go.what is destined for us we will get. People who don't pray much get everything but their life Is also balance d. When they lose something they get something to make them happy.

Thyagarajan and sindmani like this.
  3. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

Such a sad story...Best is to live with an attitude of gratitude each day..finding your purpose
    in life and leaning on your Creator to live fruitfully.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I too had that lesson few years back. One of my friend she looks good many guys liked her proposed her she was smart can take all responsibilities and married to her love. I was always jealous to her. But now she is suffering a lot don't have any fixed source of income and fighting her divorce case after harshly beaten and abused by her husband and in laws. No one has a perfect life. But looking positively and remain satisfied to our present is what I learned.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Thanks @SGBV for sharing this incident
    I think as long as our primary needs are met(food, shelter etc), as long as we are in comfort zone (with enough money to live well), going after money and luxury again &again is not worth it. What is the point of having everything, but no happiness or peace of mind or loving ones around you. If we don't have health how can we enjoy the luxuries. We should not compare our lives to others and don't worry about what people think about our life too. Peace of mind , happiness of small things, a home of comfort with loving husband and kids, good friends, family etc... simple things make our life beautiful. Be happy with what we have. Life is just a bubble.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Thyagarajan, sindmani, SGBV and 2 others like this.
  6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Rip. Very shocking how simple dengue with wrong decision of self medication lead to death.. let god give strength to family to deal with this.

Some incidents impacts us so much that we change our stands, decision easily. Yes money gives luxury, enjoyment and security.. But at what cost is also important..

Thyagarajan, sindmani and SGBV like this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Every sad to hear.
    We all do pop in a pill now and then for headache fever body pain joint pain etc..like paracetamol, antibiotics, painkillers etc..but such consequence is shocking.
    Many times I ponder about the uncertainty of life..and how we make ourselves unhappy for trivial things sometimes.
    Reminds me of my ex colleagues at work, couple of years ago.
    One lady, in her prime, maybe in 30s or so was just sitting in the cubicle adjacent to me..she passed away due to some illness.
    One more guy who was of my age, and had joined along with me..he was very friendly outgoing guy and had organised many events at our organisation..he also was pursuing a professional program along with job and had received a promotion from junior to middle level..frankly I was very envious of him..because I was still at very junior level and despite best efforts was not able to progress in career, that particular promotion requires many levels of approval and some amount of competition from many other people eligible for it...he showed all signs of being a successful professional...
    Then I consoled myself that maybe he has done some special certification that impressed seniors or made some innovation etc, and forgot about it..
    Many days later got the news that he passed away.
    I genuinely felt bad at envying him
    Fate is something we cannot escape from .
    All we can do is pray to God to keep us and loved ones healthy, comfortable, safe and sound..
    The more we compare with family and friends who are wealthier and more successful etc more we become miserable and unable to be content with life..that tension itself spoils health.

Thyagarajan, sindmani and SGBV like this.
  8. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

@SGBV You played your friend's role to me just now. It was a shock to read your post. I was asking myself the "Is it worth it ?" just a few nanoseconds ago. It felt like someone heard my thoughts and decided to reply hitting a nail on its head.

Coincidence or Cosmic message ?

SGBV likes this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It happens... I am glad that i was able to convey my lessons to someone sails in the same boat as me.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    I am yet to recover from the shock, and I am actually unable to believe this first.
    I wish, RIP means, return if possible, that too for those tiny young kiddos.
    She is gone... life is as such.... What to do?

Thyagarajan likes this.