1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little Things Please Little Minds

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 13, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I had planned a week off from work and wanted to travel. That plan was blown. Woman proposes and God disposes. QED: God is a man!

Anyway, this woman decides to be happy despite God raining on her little plans. So she binge watches more films. This evening it is a beautiful film about a young man who attempts suicide, survives and then is introduced to a school for differently abled children. He enters reluctantly and eventually starts teaching kids there and finds meaning to life there.

While watching the film, he plays with the kids, some of them adolescent kids and the smallest, 'silliest' games bring smiles to their faces. Suddenly this adage I had heard in my childhood and younger days popped up in my mind. "Little Things Please Little Minds". Are they really 'little minds"? How does one define 'little things' and 'little minds'? Children with disabilities including genetic abnormalities are not 'less intelligent'. What makes so-called 'normal' people assume they are very intelligent? They are unable to see the ability of these people to enjoy the simple things in life instead of running after material pleasures and ending up perpetually dissatisfied and unhappy.

Isn't it time we grew intelligent enough to grow out of hard and fast definitions for every little aspect of life: being active means only physically active. Mentally active people who are not very physically inclined are 'lazy'. Early to bed and early to rise ..... yes, that's right. Leave the night owls out. Everybody must be an early morning bird. Only academic and financial success is defined as such.

Well, I guess we as a species have a long way to go before we can really call ourselves 'intelligent' or 'civilized'.

2. Paripoorna

Paripoorna Gold IL'ite

True Satchi...we are running behind the materialistic pleasures and forgetting the small things which makes us happy.

When we sit and think what have we done all these years... realize we are just running and only running behind materialistic pleasure.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Thanks a lot for your response Paripoorna. :) Our definitions of what is normal, what is not, life, intelligence is extremely limited.

4. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

So true, the meaning conveyed so beautifully. These thoughts have also crossed my mind and given rise to the feeling that maybe the alternative intelligence ( so to say in contemporary language) is never perpetuated much , so that ordinary , unintelligent folks keep running behind the established and over emphasised orders of life and never ……………….

5. satchitananda

Thanks a lot Afresh and welcome to IL and my snippets. :)

Afresh likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I divide life into two parts:

1) 20% interesting and creative substance that we get excited to do
    2) 80% routine stuff we feel tired of doing but failed to enjoy

It is important that we enjoy 80% of routine stuff in order to make our lives much more interesting. If we end up waiting to enjoy what we like the most, we will waste 80% of our lives.

Viswa

7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Well said, Satchi.

8. satchitananda

True Viswa, we need to enjoy whatever that we need to do. However, what I was trying to convey here was the fact that we define life too stringently, so that anyone who does not fall within the parameters of this so-called 'normalcy' is 'crazy, lazy, challenged ......' That is because the majority fall within the 'normal' parameters. So there does not seem to be any kind of allowance for an alternative 'normal'.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Thanks Geeta!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Very true.
    We fix up parameters and anybody is different we call them abnormal, wierd and on and on. That should not be. We have a little boy is our building.... Autism. He enjoys many little little things. It is cute to watch him and feel happy when I see him smiling. Surprisingly children accept him easily, they take care of him than adults I think children have no fixed notions as adults. Should we not also be like them? I think we should be.... World would be a better place .
    Thank you.
    Syamala

Afresh and satchitananda like this.