1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little Miracles

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Sep 9, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

My day has begun badly. I have let myself down really badly. But that is just part of the deal. The good part is, it does not change my life in any tangible way. But ..... I am still disappointed. Time to cheer myself up. What could be better than going to the farm?

I want to transfer a tree growing in my balcony - yes, you heard right - a tree. I have been asking the caretaker in the building to take it down and put it in the common garden. He's been giving me excuses, but done nothing about it. It's months now. What do I do? Can't bring myself to throw the tree out to die. The farmer on my Farmizen farm agrees to take it.

I get the Woman Friday to take down the pot from the grill. "Akka", she exclaims! "Look it has got one fruit!" I rush to look. I have wondered all along what tree it is. Turns out it is a fig tree. Yes, a fig in my balcony garden!!!

Fig tree in balcony.jpg

Fig growing in Swati's balcony.jpg
    So I put it in an auto-rickshaw and rush to the farm. There I ensure the tree is securely lodged on terra firma where I pray it will thrive. It has at last found a 'forever home'. May it bear a lot of fruit and provide shade and succour to those working on and visiting the farm for a long time to come.

Fig Tree - Forever Home.jpg
    While on the farm I see a family who has come to harvest their crops. There is a little guy - maybe 4 or 5 years old. "What's your name?" asks he farmer. The little fella keeps quiet. "Why don't you tell him?" asks his father. "Tell me your name" repeats the father. The fella turns to the father and asks "Who am I?" My jaw drops. Am sure the kid does not even know what he has asked. It's amusing. A deeply philosophical question out of the mouth of a kiddo.

Treat myself to a glass of fresh sugarcane juice on the way back. Nothing in life is constant. When one is down in the dumps, there is only one way out - back out into the sunshine. Came back with a banana inflorescence, raw bananas, moringa leaves, cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, cow peas and 3 papayas. What a wonderful day this has been!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018

2. KrishnaPriya3

KrishnaPriya3 Silver IL'ite

Satchi,
    I can feel so much positivity in your post and loved your balcony garden pics taken by you. Thinking of little fellow's question. :)

satchitananda likes this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Satchi Ji, We need more posts like these ! The joy of seeing a fruit or a flower is priceless. Seeing unexpected fruits and flowers in my garden has provided me with some joy during tough times. It signifies hope that things will get better.

I really like your balcony ! The brick red colors really stand out beautifully. I am sure this balcony has had many of your sat-chit-ananda sessions.

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, that little fig looks so cute.
    So this is the fig leaf! Oops:laughing:

5. satchitananda

Thanks a lot KrishnaPriya. Little fellow's question. I did not know whether to be amused or whether I should let my jaw drop!!! :p

6. satchitananda

Thanks ever so much Manisha! Here is a link for more pictures:

Kitchen garden in the balcony of an apartment - Possible?

:)

SinghManisha likes this.
  7. satchitananda

You know Geeta, got really confused after seeing your post. Went to Google Uncool to check out and yes, it is a fig. My mil had a huge tree in her garden. I suppose the poor leaves have been deprived of sufficient nutrients in a little pot and hope they grow to their fullest potential, now the tree is where it should be!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

SATCHI THE WAY YOU NARRATE MAKES THE READERS TO HAVE A BALCONY FARM I was surprised to see a bare tree bearing a fruit .

9. satchitananda

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's a great mystery how I missed noticing this Little Miracles for over twelve hours. Men's attention span gets reducing rapidly as they grow older.
    This post has pushed me into a lot of nostalgia. How many times, I would have walked through those lovely plants of yours kept artistically in the corridor! As if the visual treat is not adequate enough, I used to stuff myself with your delicious and homely food. And the chatter thereafter filled my ears too. I am looking forward to an encore..
    Incidentally my hello to your Woman Friday!​