1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little blood in my baby's poop

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by payalgarg27, Mar 6, 2014.

1. payalgarg27

payalgarg27 New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

My Lo started to have little blood in his poop when he was 5 weeks old. We rushed to ER as our doc has already left for the day. ER doctor dismissed it as a diaper rash thing. It then happened again after a few days. We even changed our ped for this issue.. Our new ped suggested that this could be milk protein in-tolerence and asked to skip all milk products from my diet. I started having almond milk since then becoz I like to have tea. My baby was not having any blood for abt 2 weeks.. Then it appeared suddenly. Then we thought its in green poops only, but then it happened in yellow poops too. Blood is quite little and sometimes you need to have a good look to figure it out. But its there :(. We went for his blood test today, but my LO is so little that no blood came in from his tiny veins. We are also collecting his poop for stool test.

I am very much worried and feeling very low. I read somewhere that it could be because of over supply as well. Is it? I do feel that my baby is sometimes overwhelmed with the speed of milk flow. And sometimes when I express breastmilk, its very watery in the beginning. what should I do?

Thanks
    Payal

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulation on your LO.

Have you completely removed all forms of dairy i.e butter, milk, yogurt, cheese from your diet? Any food item that you take, check the ingredients. If it says milk then do not take it. It will take minimum 2 weeks (after you stop taking dairy) for your baby's body to adjust completely.

Breast milk is comprised of fore milk and hind milk. Fore milk will be watery. This milk aids in digestion. Hind milk will be thicker and will be whiter in color. This milk contains the fat content required to help baby in gaining weight.

I have not heard about oversupply causing blood in stools. My DS used to feel overwhelmed with my fast flow. He did not have blood in stools.

What kind of tests has the paed suggested? Allergy tests? Did the paed do an occult blood test on baby's stool?

1 person likes this.
  3. payalgarg27

payalgarg27 New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply. I have eliminated the most obvious things, but have not eliminated ghee.. Also, I have not eliminated Indian biscuits rom my diet. I have also not eliminated breads (wheat breads available in market). I am starting to go off these things as well. my LO had 3 diapers today with lil blood streaks. Very worried.

Also does things like dashmoolarisht (ayurvedic med for women after delivery) exhibit such behavior?

I am not sure what tests have been ordered by paed. We are just collecting baby's stool as of now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Is he passing hard stools when ever blood streak is seen? Is he passing stools everyday or once in 2,3 or 4 days?

5. payalgarg27

payalgarg27 New IL'ite

No, he is not passing hard stools and he does poop 4-5 times a day.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Another thing I can think of is, did he start any vitamin supplements like D drops? If yes, take doctors suggestion and discontinue and see if the blood stops (apart from what other ladies suggested here). Its possible it could be the reason if he started this recently. Hang in there; any bacterial infection should show up in his results soon.

7. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Try to watch him while pooping. Does it come before the actual stool or after or in between? Is it really blood? My LO also had some brown liquid coming out before the stool. His doc tested it but said it is not blood.

8. payalgarg27

payalgarg27 New IL'ite

Thanks for your replies. yes, its blood and we got it tested from one of his diapers. We just hope he is fine soon.. :)

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@payal Try eliminating all food items containing milk. There are different breads available in the market that do not contain milk.

My guess is blood is because of food allergies. One suggestion I can give is shift to either soy milk or rice milk. The reason is the chances of tree nut allergy is high when dealing with food allergies.

I am not sure about the ayurvedic medicine. You can try eliminating it.

Are you collecting stools in test tubes over a period of 3-4 days?

10. payalgarg27

payalgarg27 New IL'ite

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we are collecting the stools over a period of 5-6 days. I am on almond milk these days.. Is it also not that good?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014