1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

List of books for children....

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Shanvy, Sep 14, 2007.

1. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi,
    Most of the books are already mentioned in this thread. I wanted to add - Books by Dr. Seuss are very good reading for little kids. Not sure if we get them in India. Also, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
    Regards,
    Sharada

2. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

3. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

The Panchatantra Tales ,Stories of Tenali Raman and Birbal ....also makes very interesting reading for the children.

Latha Sasidharan
    :wave

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hi friends

Very happy to see .....about the kids's reading habit............even i want my son to ead somthing daily...........and used to get some books for him.main in the list will be

MAGIC POT........( its amonthly magazine)
    Cindrella stories
    the Panchathanthra stories
    Moral stories
    Jungle book
    The Magical horse
    The Three rare gifts
    Mulla nazarudin Stories
    The Princess and the Pea

Almost he used to bring story books from his library..........i dont used to buy everything for him.....hav to agree .he is not very good reader.i have to pester him to read..........trying my level best ........

anyhow .thank u for all of u........to share the book list for kids...... .

5. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Shanvy & others,

Thanx for sharing wide range of books for kids...
    Below is the list of books my DD possess. As she's going to be 5yrs old, I used to read & narrate her a lot... She as well narrates some of her favorite stories page by page by looking @ the pictures on her own ... (Note - not reading ;;; just from her memory)

Bubble series - stories on values
    Panchathantra series
    Meg the hen
    Mike's flight
    Cinderalla
    Little red riding hood
    Snow white & 7 dwarf
    Hansel & Gretel
    Moral stories
    Little bear's visit
    Horse in Harry's room
    Rover & Fuddy

I hv even bought her Children's Picture dictionary from Landmark... She doesn't show much interest in browsing the same... Provide me any inputs that wld help me in focusing her in utilizing the same...

Currently we're asking her to write few words from newspaper daily to improve her vocabulary/spelling & teach her the meanings...

Let me know, when exactly the kids start reading on their own... I have started getting few books from library & read to her...

Jlatch

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Wow This is a wonderful thread for our dear Kids. Shall a plethora of books for kids to choose from.

My kid is still with Grandma Stories and Ofcourse the Panchatantra!

Love,
    Devika

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jlatch

You are welcome. some kids don't like to browse the dictionary when asked to. this is what i do. when my DS/DD used to ask the meaning of a word they come across, i used to make it a point to ask them to refer the dictionaries, only if they don't find the words they will get my help. this is followed even now.

You could use scrabble to inculcate the word building and exploring and when u parents also play the kids get quality time and also more enthusiasm to try...

regarding when the kids start reading on their own..it depends on the interest, my DD started at 2nd std, my DS by 1st std and there is a vast ocean between their interests. DD is choosy about what she reads. DS likes to read anything, and likes to discuss it with me.

DD is now reading agatha christe, worlds trickiest puzzles. My DS is hanging between autobiography of an yogi and the mughal empire..(he just switches and reads whatever he fancies at the point..)

(both me and my husband are voracious readers, maybe the kids picked the habit from us.)

hope it helps...

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

DM ,

Kind of getting lot of ideas about the books that kids read with the inputs here.

Grandma stories and panchatantra is always a delight even today for me...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

One more book that has been added to the list,

Malgudi days by RK Narayanan..

10. sonalipd

sonalipd New IL'ite

Hi
    someone mentioned Magicpot here.Is it possible to get it in north america.I would like to order it. Its a very good magazine for kindergarten kids.

I would suggest all those In US and Canada to read Laura Ingalls Wilder series.Its about the way pioneers moved to the west coast,an inspiring tale.
    Also for Parents Pl. read Susan Wise Bauer's "A well Trained Mind " and "A well educated Mind".Lots of questions of education and reading get solved.

Sonali