1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lip-biting habit - Suggestion pls

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by umarayan, Mar 23, 2009.

1. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Hi
    my baby is 2 years and 10months old,she bites her lower lip,lower lip was fully inside,her teeth was outside,she doing this for last 1 year,i followed many ways to stop this,i applied,chilly powder,chukku,vinegar,and neem oil,still doing the same,any idea is there to avoid this,now her upper lip was some what lifted,
    and she has compliant that have pain in anus,her stool is hard in the beginning and normal later,any home remedy pls but passing stool regularly.
    share your ideas
    thank you
    regards
    uma:idea

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Uma, it looks to me she is imitating somebody's mannerisms. Just look around you and your family to see if anyone has an overbite and is munching on their lips. Frankly, half the things that you mention are harmful to the child (neem oil can result in neurological disorders, I think our resident paed said once.) Chilli, ginger?!!! come on that borders on abuse. Try applying it on your skin before you do it on her, then you will know what pain/discomfort she goes through. I apologise for coming on this strongly, but this applying things that are supposed to be bitter, spicy, etc to stop nail biting, thumb sucking is a very child unfriendly practice.
    Have you taken her to a dentist, it is possible that her teeth are not aligned well and therefore it looks like she is munching. Find out the root of the problem before treating it with *kai vaidyam* of any kind.

For constipation like symptoms, we rely on good old fibre, adding things like raisin and whole grains to the diet. Do push liquids, toddlers often do not eat to hunger or drink to thirst.. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Thank you for your suggestion,even we dont have any mannerism like that,
    i tried all the above mentioned treatments ,i used vey mild only not in hard,
    in our culture old people use to say apply neem oil,chukku when she get cold i add a pinch in milk so these all i tried only once,not even second time,she wipe immediately, whatever i apply, so i stopped that.
    as what you said, i will consult with dentist, i dont think of this idea,thanks for
    this,
    she is not taking much liqiud ,i will take care of this,
    thank for your reply.
    regards
    uma

4. SukiKumaran

SukiKumaran Senior IL'ite

Even my DD too bites her lower lips for the past 5 months now and then. we dont have any manerisms at home. She sometimes does it purposely just to see us in anger. Sometimes it might be for food. But the first time when she started was because of her teething.. She has started it again. Hoping for her teething.
    But i have not used any "kai vaithyam'. Just will tell her it is not good to bite and will make up some stories regarding her health.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Uma, Suki... I know I bite my lower lip when I focussing on something and am completely involved in it. I picked it up from my mother and my child has picked it up from me. Like Suki said children do these things to get our attention at times - try distracting and engaging her in other ways.

6. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Suki and tikka,thank you
    doctor also told me that.dont tell often to her dont bite like,she will do again and again,they to distract ,i tried this,when she bite,i ask some question ,to reply me she open her mouth,like that i tried,whenever i was busy in kitchen she again start that,some time i thought it will be ok ,she will give up that habit ,but now happening at night she doing that very fastly,
    at night i check often,and i remove that,while i see morning she was in same,2 days before ,morning i found scratch on her chin,very reddish,it became a small wound, that i got worried ,and write it down for suggestion.
    its almost 1 year,she doing the same.

thank you
    regards
    uma

7. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

I think Uma you should consult this with doctor seriously. May be its because of the worm in the tummy. try deworming and then see. My DD has teeth biting habit and after i gave her the dewroming she was alright. You try it may work.

8. dmambi

dmambi New IL'ite

My daughter is having similar problem, i get annoyed to see her lips getting swollen, due to continuous biting , specially during sleeping also. Please suggest some remedy.

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi dmambi
    Is she worried about something? check this point and also consult your ped