1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Limit Interaction With Male Co-worker

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Nov 11, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Ok, I'm a little upset since yesterday and because I cannot express at home, I was upset, thinking the world hates me because sometimes when I talk, I don't realize what I am saying, especially if I am nervous or sleepy.

For instance, yesterday at Toastmasters instead of saying "Welcome to Toastmasters", I said "Welcome to Table Topics".

So I am thinking because of this social awkwardness I'm scaring away good people, situations, opportunities in my life.

I deserve better. We all deserve better. We were meant for greatness!

Having said that, there is another issue at hand.

There is male co-worker (who is Desi, from same part of India, but on Pakistan side) who works in different building than me (several miles away)

1. I first mentored him (and two others) in our organizations inter-training program. He treated all of us to coffee every now and then.

2. When I encouraged the people I mentored to join Toastmasters, him and one other person joined. Eventually the other person dropped out.

3. This male co-worker is helpful and even nominated me to be President of Toastmasters.

4. But I am reading between the lines, he just wants to join my particular team because it gives a huge pay-raise and it's easier for him to travel. I don't mind healthy, interpersonal relationship between coworkers but

5. He is too friendly, too accommodating. If I need to delegate any work, he is the first to volunteer.

6. I deleted Instagram months ago because he was liking all my artwork. Plus it's just another time-waster

7. I will disable my Facebook account (I barely log in right now). I know if I ask this male co-worker to manager our Toastmasters page he will do it, but I don't want to be dependent on him. I rather get someone else manage our page. Worse comes to worse the FB page will not be updated!

Two people commented yesterday at different instances that we make a good couple. I told one person this guy is married and has two teenage kids. Then the guy replied maybe their marriage is in trouble.

Then I replied they should go for marriage counseling, you can be their counselor, bang their heads together and say, "Make this marriage work!" We joked about it, but somehow I was feeling bad

How to attract other people in my life to have positive, interdependent relationship. At least in the workplace to start with. And certainly avoid these interactions where people think I am a couple with someone .....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

2. rajatsingh

rajatsingh Silver IL'ite

What others think about you, shouldn't be disturbing you this much. To some extent, it is ok to worry about others opinion on us. But that, shouldn't be the sole criterion making your entire day.

Your own belief and conviction about yourself, should be the more important parameter.

How can you change others belief about you ?

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ChennaiExpress- I believe you are reading too much in between the lines.
    Don't do it. If you have a good friend then that should be it. Unless he asks you out.
    Don't read too much.
    Maybe he is attracted to you or maybe not. Unless he comes out and makes a move... you really don't know.
    Maybe he is just friendly.

I have mentioned in few posts that I was bullied- but I also made a good friend in that phase of my life and he was a boy.
    This boy and girl friendship had spooked my mom quite a bit. He is still my very good friend. Like the bully, my best friend is also well known in my family/ friend circle.

To top that my relatives and my mom always had a secret inclination that my best friend and I were "in love". Because of amount of time we both would hang out or spend time with each other friend circle.

I also happen to get married late- my mom has suggested plenty of times... Why can't I just get married to my best friend.
    Honestly apart from friendship I never had any feeling for my best friend and neither did he.

My point is- boys can be friends without any ulterior motive.

4. ChennaiExpress

Oh wow, I didn't think of it that way.

And I was about to push a possibly nice person away.

It's just that no one was ever nice to me like this before and I got scared because I don't know what to expect.

Oh wow!

LOL, people thought you and your friend were "in love". I feel better knowing we can be friends, acquaintances, etc.

I will try not to read too much into things........

blindpup10 likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

Well, we cannot change what others believe about us, we can only be our best selves.

If people truly favor us, then weird social quirks won't throw them off.

6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I know what you mean.. enjoy what you have got.
    If he asks you out, or makes the first move. Ask him to back down.

But again IF it goes that way.

Forget what people thought.. my mom thought :facepalm:

7. ChennaiExpress

LOL .....hahahahaha... that's too funny!