Lighting Nandha Vilakku - Pls help.

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by tinku, Jan 15, 2012.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear ILs,
    Wishing you all a very Happy Pongal.

Subam Karodhi Kalyanam Arogyam Dhanasampadaha
    Chathru Buddhi vinasaya Deepa jyothir namosthuthe

I have opened this thread to ask something about Nandha vilakku.

Today, I lit a pancha mugha vilakku at home and went to temple and returned. After reaching home, something suddenly struck me and I wanted to continue lighting this vilakku (Making it a Nandha Vilakku) for the next few days (48 days or so) without letting it go as I learnt that Magara Sankaranthi is an auspicious day to start any good work.

Are there any rules for lighting Nanadha Vilakku?
    For ex,

1. Should Nandha vilakku be lit only in temple or can be lit in home too?

2. When lit in temple, they lock the doors in the night. How about in the house?
    Should we not lock our house till the period is over? I heard one lady say this.

3. Is it essential to light only one wick? can we light pancha mugam (5 faced vilakku)

4. If lit in our house how about sweeping and moping the house when the vilakku is still burning?
    I have usually seen people avoiding moping the floor or sweeping after lighting vilakku.
    What to do if I want to sweep and mop the floor. I sweep floor everyday and mop it alternate days or once in two days. Else it will be dirty since we have a pomeranian dog living with us.

5. what to do during periods? Can it continue burning? Or can my husband continue to pour oil ?

6. Should it be lit for a period of 48 days minimum or can it be for 24 or even lesser no. of days?
    I ask this because of situations and circumstances, maintaining it for a period of 48 days is what I want to do but, suppose if that's not possible, what to do?

7. Should the house be cleaned in and out before lighting or its okay if I light to light the deepam with normal cleanliness in the house.

8. Can we use an ordinary earthen lamp for this or should use only lamp with other materials that are in bronze or something? Or is there any special vilakku called nandha vilakku that is used in homes too apart from temples which are usually somewhat big.

Dear ILs, pls guide me on this. I am eagerly awaiting your reponse.

Special Regards,
    Tinku.

1 person likes this.

2. Ranjanakrishnan

Ranjanakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tinku, Greetings to you and I Wish a very Happy pongal.

Usually I lit Nandha deepam for 10 days in Navarathri In my Home. The rules are
    Sweeping can be made normally Or with a cloth too.,you should not lock the door for that certain period of time,husband can pour oil if you are in the Mensus time. Sex and eating Non veg should be avoided in that time. you should always fill it with oil/ghee and it should not turn off. do Naivedhyam in that days. it can be anything even raisins and nuts . There is special lamp for Nanda deepam. It has a special attachment. But using a Big Earthen Lamp is most effective. One wick is enough.Keep the lamp to northen or eastern facing. Here is a Mantra to chant in Morning and in evening.

Morning Mantra
    Soyam baskara vidyas ta kiranoth kara basvara
    deepaha jyothir namasthubyam suprabatam kurushwame.

Evening Mantra
    sivam bavathu kalyanam ayur aroghya varthanam
    mama dhukka vinasaya sandhya deepam namo namah

With Love
    Ranjana

3. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response.

I lighted that pancha mugha agal vilakku and went to temple locking the house. And returned back and then decided that it can be Nandha vilakku for a while. So is it ok?

Also I have to close doors at 5 pm in the evenings and lock it when I have to take my pomy for a small walk.
    But you told that it should not be locked. Can this be accpeted?

And yes. As you said, I should lit it one face. But I have lit all the five faces. Can I now intervene and send off the remaining four faces and leave one face alone to go on?

Once again thanking you for the guidance.
    Pls, Ranjana or anyone guide me on this.

Regards,
    Tinku.

4. Ranjanakrishnan

Ranjanakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tinku Greetings to you.
    You can lock door for 1 or 2 hrs is okay. I told not to lock for more than half day. If you are continuing 5 faces from yesterday means don't send off the other faces now. Now you continue this 5 faces. you stop this for 3 or 5 days then once again start on Rathasapthami day .it is an auspicious day. because the sun turns to uttarayana period of time. Nanadha deepam can be lit for odd number days starting from 3 days i.e 3,5 ,7,9 .....
    With Love
    Ranjana

5. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear Ranjana,

Thank you very much for the wealth of information that I really wanted at this time. It was very kind of you.

I was searching the web for any information that I could find on lighting Nandha deepam but really couldnt find any guiding piece of info on the subject.

You really guided me with your valuable inputs. Thank u so much.

Shall start afresh again on Rathasapthami day (I think it is on Jan 30 according to google) as you have enlightened.

Special Regards,
    Tinku