Lighting a lamp - The auspicious mode of workship

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by tinku, Dec 8, 2011.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I should have posted this article atleast a week before or atleast a day before the most auspicious Thiruvanamalai's Karthigai deepam.
    Better late than never and so ladies read on.

Many of us might have known that lighting lamps using oil is a divine karma (punya) according to sages. We Indians know we invite auspiciousness by lighting a lamp. For every celebration lamp spreads not only light, but also auspiciousness if done as per the rules of lighting a lamp advised by our great scholars of all times, the siddhas.

Siddha insights on how to light a lamp can be found in the web address
    Lamp Deepa Jyoti Worship. Jothi Worship - Agasthiar.Org - AUMzine Issue 2

In short the true sages advice us to light lamps using sesame oil/ghee and to roll out the wicks in only one direction accompanied by a minimum of two incense sticks.

The lamp that uses more than two wicks is good and that with five wicks is best. Also the wicks should be made from two cotton strands. I read somewhere that the wicks if made like this spread positive energy and that it was scientifically confirmed. So ladies, always try to roll two strands of cotton strings and make a wick out of them and then use for lighting a lamp.

We all know that the omnipotent, the great omniscient, Lord Arunachaleswara is that auspicious flame. Let us all light divine lamps in our homes and in temples to spread positivity and auspiciousness of the Lord and invite blessings in our lives.

Let Lord Arunachaleswara bless all the beings in this world on this occassion and let us thank him lighting many divine lamps.

Special Regards

3 people like this.

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Everyday when we light a diya in the morning and evening we always pray..."TAMSO MA JYOTIRGAMAY"

.................Lead me to the path of light from darkness

3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister,

Great contribution that too at the right time, Thanks for sharing

4. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Tinku,
    Never bothered about these things earlier.But after I got married recently and started living together,am now making it a practice to lit the little lamps before God as soon as i bath..it gives a great feeling to me

5. honeydaisy

honeydaisy Junior IL'ite

thanks for sharing...i loved to light agal vilakku. the lights gives me a good feeling.