1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life's gentle, yet useful lessons

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by plantscantalk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

A common saying is: life is a tough teacher who conducts the exams first and then gives the 'lessons' enabling them to permanently sink in.

Two years back, i'd have agreed with that 100 percent.

Two years later, i know that life is an adaptable and a supremely mouldable teacher.

What the heck am I yakking about?

Well, in my earlier thread, I'd mentioned that I was a cooking challenged person who would not know even if a bag of toor dal hit me in my face.

The background situation was simple: i had eaten some crap somewhere and was at my parents' home laid sick with hepatitis. Obviously, my folks were concerned. My grandma's only mantra was if only I'd gotten married earlier. Though sick and down, I knew what her underlying thought was, what my gut was saying and couldn't say/refute. Many years back, a 'wellwisher' of mine had asked me when I was planning to get married. I asked him the reason. With a look akin to my having asked him for his kidney gratis, he replied only then so that I could taste good food. Seething inside at the lack of logic in his answer, i wanted to give him a tongue lashing, yet i couldn't do so since i didn't have the answer: how indeed i'd take care of myself. I ranted at my mom that if i wanted cooked food i'd marry a cook. My mother however let me know that those were her supreme fears. I had stayed outside the home for close to 17 years and had never bothered to pay attention to these things.

Then life's teacher paid me a visit. When the time to leave home creeped closer, my gran and dad were worried. I had relatives but couldn't ask them for help. When the discussion about fixing a cook was going on, my mom, sitting like a buddha, dropped the bombshell that I had to learn cooking. In 15 days. And will you believe it, my accquaintance with the various kinds of daal started then. To not get confused, i prepared a scrapbook with the dals pasted and their names. That bad I was.

When I returned, life sent in another teacher. Dad's friend. He is an expert cook and used to give me 'gyan' only when i asked him. That way, I was not pressured by external factors. Only my stomach growled and asked me to pull my socks up. Shortcuts to making a healthy soup, for instance. This would be followed by why one needed to make one's own tomato soup and not rely on processed stuff. Besides the recipes, I got some insight into why this was healthy and an economical option.

Then when I really needed to have good sambar, Chitvish popped in. Another teacher.

I have lived happily ever after.

-------

Learning how to cook has given me a strong argument against the usual crap peddled by well-wishers to get married. Now I know that when the need to marry arises, I'd not spend time looking for a maid/housekeeeper/cook, but rather a soulmate. The need and the logical (tradition is NOT a correct answer, FYI) answer to why get hitched haven't come yet.

---o

I'd heard about this maid argument in the movie Hyderabad blues. When the hero assumes that after marriage, the heroine would relocate to USA, she loses her cool and asks him if he were looking for a wife or a maid. Even at that time when i couldn't identify a pressure cooker, I thought that was an apt dialogue and docketed it for the future.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    6 people like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

You are perfectly right. When you want to marry you marry. But not for cooking. In my mother's generation...that was an indirect way of saying that one wants to marry. If the son says "I am not able to eat hotel food" and grumble about it them parents used to look for a bride and get him married and they lived happily ever after.

Syamala

4 people like this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello again Pct,

So now I see you have learnt certain lessons from life before it put you to test and all thanks to your illustrious self (and of course our own Chitvish!). You are so well equipped now to cook that I might soon see you on the TV channels posing a stiff competition to the likes of Jamie Oliver or Emeril Lagasse or our own Sanjeev Kapoor!

I must say I somehow passed through the criteria of having to be a cook to get married! That our early days were spent pleasantly eating toast was another matter. You do not have that hurdle! Hurdle might be that all the unmarried and unable to cook girls may throw coveting glances at YOU! Beware!:) Unless you decide to be the Salman Khan of snippets!!

Fun aside, nice take on cooking and marriage. Your posts make a pleasant read.

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

This take the cake man!!!! You made a scrap book for daals!!!!!!

Enjoyed reading it.

2 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamla,

Out of context.....

My sister's daughter came to US to do MS. Never was out of the house, never cooked before.Used only to south Indian food at home. She was in the Computor sciences dept.Another Telugu guy also in the same department doing Ph.D. He is an excellent cook, was in USA since four years. Both of them became friends. Daily invited her for dinner and weekends, fell in love and got married. Now she has a kid also. Cooking brought them nearer.

Syamala

4 people like this.
  6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi pct,

A hearty welcome to snippets.

my mom, sitting like a buddha, dropped the bombshell that I had to learn cooking.

kudos to your mom. She sure knows to raise a boy. One day one girl is going to thank her for that :)

Now I know that when the need to marry arises, I'd not spend time looking for a maid/housekeeeper/cook, but rather a soulmate.

and kudos to you too for that thought.All the very best to find your soul mate.:)

3 people like this.
  7. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Pct, great thread, and may your tribe of men (who consider marriage for reasons other than having someone around for all their personal needs) increase my manyfold! keep writing and engaging us. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. plantscantalk

No choice but to make a scrap book, though, only a couple of pages for daals. So many daals to know. Just one brain to store all this info. One track which was continuously running in my mind, listening to mom was if the pressure cooker would burst on my face. Gave me many a sleepless night.

1 person likes this.
  9. plantscantalk

thanks crazywriter. I'll definitely try to write something readable. Btw, i think it applies to women as well. They needn't and ought not to get hitched for the sake of tradition etc. A valid reason is extremely necessary.

2 people like this.
  10. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

Nice post, enjoyed reading it :thumbsup

Though as far as I remember the heroine of Hyderabad Blues said, "Do u think I will follow you to USA like a dog?" Pretty strong, eh;) I docketed that for the future too, cause I'm a weakling as far as matters of the heart are concerned :)

1 person likes this.