1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life Style Changes With Domestic Staff

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Inflationary price changes over the last 5 to 7 decades (post independent India) would easily justify the prices for the goods and services.
    [​IMG]
    That "septic tank story" in the OP is true in every country. The price of service should include how difficult/distasteful/dirty the job is, as well as the other components of benefit the customer gets. Here is a brief episode called "auto-biography", where the characters talk about cars, and interesting life-snippets with their cars. Winston Rothschild, recalls his younger days, when he had used a Ford station-wagon, to service septic tanks, and haul away the refuse, before his business grew, and he could get a real septic tank pumping truck on EMI loan. I am sure his prices for the service went up too.

On the positive side for the pensioners on fixed income, it is a good thing that the septic tank service happens only once every few years.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A great write up!The job market has changed a lot. Previously ,upto 1960s or even 1970s a matriculate or degree holder could get some permanent job ,though
    the emoluments were not lucrative.On the advent of IT many got jobs with handsome salary.
    After 2010, the position causes much concern.Whether you call it unemployment or underemployment,young chaps are victims. For 1800 vacancies in Railways needing only 10th Std qualification , more than ten lakhs
    graduates and postgraduates have applied.My servant maid in her late 40s, studied upto 8th std is employed in an IT company for house keeping. She gets decent salary,free lunch and dinner for her husband, MIL and children also.But her son a postgraduate is running from pillar to post to get a job for 3 yrs .He may not be prepared to work like her mother.Many boys could not settle in their lives even at 35, because of threat of lay off in many companies.The picture is agonizing to the parents
    and children notwithstanding advancement in communication.
    A cell phone with Apps and the ease with which they could handle ,cannot make life a pleasant one for long.
    Many of the jobs are taken up by the service providers.I was surprised to find many graduate boys in a private bank with the uniform'Day in N Day Out"one of the boys( graduate) known to be showed me his pay slip.It transpired that his gross salary is around Rs 13,000 out of which,apart from PF, Rs2000 is deducted towards ESI and a huge amt of 15% that is Rs 1950/-goes to the service provider from the bank itself .It is reliably learnt that bank gains a lot from having fresh graduates for low emoluments than recruiting people from Banking Services Board for nearly thrice the wages.As the saying goes'new broom sweeps well, ',they can better service,pay less and terminate whenever they want .This is the story of present employment there is nothing to get elated about the stylish dressing, operating cell phones while the inside story is horrible.
    I am reminded of a Tamil saying'oyyaara kondaiyaam, thaazhampoovaam;ulle, penum eerum puzhuththu neliyuthaam"( the outward hairstyle is trendy;the fragrance from the flowers is overwhelming. Inside the hair, thousands of lice and heir eggs are just hovering around)
    Jayasala 42

Jayasala 42

3. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

i started scratching my head the min i read this line...i have an aversion to lice!! :eek:

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Freebies is the burning topic today both for and against.There is no doubt poor people need help.How do we identify them.If you need a certificate from a government official it will lead to corruption..People will become dishonest to show a lower income where both husband and wife work or quite often all the members of the family work.The misuse of the money is another question.However we cant be Devils Advocate but give ideas for viable alternative .
    Self help will be automatically enforced as you can see in the food counters in food courts.
    As for jobs,lack of understanding of the concepts and communication skills are the stumbling blocks for employability.
    Regards
    SLN

satchitananda likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear SLN sir,
    Yes. When people are driven to the wall they attempt to do "something" which they have not done before or thought of. If they see signs of their capability they take risks and try to go forward. They are the real entrepreneurs. Involve others and as you said it is collective. I really admire them.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shyamala,
    The trend is fast catching up.Home made idli batter is delivered at home.The home chef concept is picking up when well educated ladies leave their jobs and supply home made food.Wonderful opportunities are springing up for special educators to handle children with spectrum disorder.There are plenty of examples.Find a need and fulfill it is the mantra for any collective venture.
    SLN

Thyagarajan and shyamala1234 like this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

D

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite