1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life Saver – The Helmets

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Suhaguru, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Suhaguru

Suhaguru Bronze IL'ite

Come every January or February, we all speak about tax savers. For couple of months, it is the talk of most salaried people in the nation. But how often do we speak about life saver – helmet.

Two incidents keeps disturbing me every now and then and hence decided to write on this topic.

A month ago, my husband was getting ready to go to his friend’s marriage. He was almost late for his train as our daughter was not allowing him to go. I was eagerly awaiting his call just to know if he was on time for the train. He called me up not to inform this but for a different purpose. His friend had met with an accident and expired. Had another 6 hours passed, this friend of his would have picked him up at the destination. And we got such shocking news. This guy was travelling to his work place in his two-wheeler and while driving a bus had hit him. ‘He was a very careful and cautious driver’ is what his entire friends circle certifies. On the road, you have to suffer for other’s fault as well. There was no mistake in his driving though, but he was not wearing his helmet. He did not sustain any other injury other than on his head.

Another incident happened more than 4 years back. I joined back office after my maternity leave, one of my colleagues showed me a rather complicated work and said he wanted me to work with him on that. He offered to give me a concession as it was my first day after a long leave by saying – “we can work on it the first thing tomorrow morning “. The next day this guy was not in office and slightly before lunch time we got a message saying he met with an accident the previous night and passed away. It was indeed shocking for all of us. The entire team didn’t know how to react. He stays somewhere near Ambattur and a tanker lorry had hit him while he was returning home the previous night. This guy was always cautious and opts to travel by train due to many accidents that happen in his area. On that day as it was a railway strike, he had to opt for his two-wheeler and that too without his helmet.

Both these guys were very cautious and careful by nature, but were caught when they without their safety equipment.

Often, I do see people on the road who donate their helmets to their Petrol tank or their Helmet lock. What good it is to have a helmet then? Whom are they trying to convince by having it there?

Life is precious and our loved ones desire to have us with them always. We are not going to lose anything by exercising caution. After all, for all the efforts (of being cautious), we may gain something some day when it matters the most.

So, wear your hard hat always!!!

View attachment 130726

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai dear,

A very useful informative blog entry. Still people would like to hold the helmt rather than wearing on the head. This passion of holding helmet they donot know they will pass away from this earth. care and caution should be in every human mind and soul so that their life will be saved.

3. Suhaguru

Suhaguru Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sreema,
    Thanks for the quick comment.

While reading your comment, took a short walk to my balcony.. What I saw was just shocking... A man was driving his Kinetic Honda with one hand and holding the helmet in his other hand and was moving it here and there...