1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life in total Mess

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sonasanju, Nov 26, 2010.

1. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Helo Ladies

Its been a long time since i posted anything here..was busy with Kiddo and wrk..

Just today..my life turned into a mess..
    i am from tamilian n my hubby is from UP. we had a love amrriage much against my parents wishes..but slowly all was in smooth track and relationship improvemnt and i was in one of my best phasaes of life..
    My husband is very jovial and used to tease my younger sister a lot..as in UP they say saali aadhi gharwali..my sister also used to njoy this teasing and will tease him back...
    I always used to warn my husband saying that this is not right..coz these things are not common among tamilians..
    Now during diwali, while returning from my inlaws place, i came down to my mom's place...mom dad were in out of town that time..my sis was alone at home, and my aunt was giving company to her.
    NOw today I get a call from my mom saying that the guy u married has mis behaved with you sister..he has no character..and all these things
    i am in a state of shock..she told me that my sister cried a lot and she didnt like the way my husband behaved with her..father is also upset over this...my mom is telling me that who knows at ur back wat all he must be doing...
    Now this is wat happened in mumbai when my parents wer not there and we went..
    we reached home at nite....and i straight headed to thh bathroom for a shower..my husband..asusual played pranks with my sister and causually he told her sit by his side and all..he kept his hands on her shoulder..this my sister didnt like..my husband has done this many times in front of me..but my sister never minded..now she feels my husband has misbehaved..
    m totally shattered..as i think i have lost everyone..my husband is pleading innnocence..i have known him for past 5 yrs..and i can vouch that he is very loyal..
    now how do i clear this mess..
    First i spoke to my husband and cleared things with him..he is pleading innnocent..he is saying he was behaving the same way..as he used to behave..but from now on he sweared not to mess with my sister...and he will say sorry if he hurt everyone and wont repeat this again..
    Next, I spoke to my sister and told her not to keep this thing in mind...wat my husband did was wrong..but please dont point at his character..i told her if u thought something was wrong then u shld have first talked to me..instead of dragging parents...i would have clarified things..now since she has said like this..my parents have lost respect for my hubby...

I have asked my hubby to talk to my sis first and clear things..
    then we will see how to convince my parents..who are totally broken now..
    My husband is too heart broken..as no one has pointed to his character till now..and i have full belief in him...
    please ladies help me..tell me if I am wrong in my approach..
    how should I deal with situation.....

Sona

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

2. Sarasan

Sarasan Bronze IL'ite

Oh God !
    Its really sad............... i feel very sad for ur DH
    whatever u do should get back ur DHs respect
    you pl speak with ur sis first, & get to know wat has happened in fact
    & make ur sis realize tat nothing has happens wrong, and make ur parents realize his innocence patiently, if they accept "cool" otherwise leave tis issue as it is!

Thinking about this & speaking abt this itself very shame, it will hurt ur DH more, so pl forget tis , ppl will understand the truth soon, we cant prove our goodness, it should be realised

No worries Dear.............
    Is the IM pic is ur DD?
    So cute..............:)

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Why did you tell your sister that what your dh did was wrong? So it's wrong to put your hand on the shoulder of a family member now? Seriously, you shouldn't have pandered to your sister and parents in a way that put your husband down. Having him apologize and stay clear from your sister was a good idea. But telling them that he was WRONG when you know in your heart he wasn't, isn't fair to him. Please do not be so desperate for your families approval that you are willing to trash your dh's self respect.

A lot of time in a love marriage where family was against the match, the family gets hypersensitive and will jump on any reason to talk bad about your spouses character. Because he wasn't THEIR choice, they might feel he is capable of any bad thing. I think it could be an ego thing and they are happy to use this incident againt him.

If you are 100% sure your dh is not like what your parents are saying, please stand by HIM.

4. sridevi101

sridevi101 Senior IL'ite

asuitablegirl, IT IS WRONG TO TOUCH ANOTHER GIRL EVEN JUST LIKE THAT. SEETHIS HAS caused unnecessary problem. dong that with clear mind also will become a problem because the girl is young in age and may feel anything wrong.. why inviting problems? if her DH never touched her at all, she woul not have got that chance to tell that.

see sonasanju, this is not a big issue to worry about.. nothing happened.. you support your hubby and dont care about anyone losing respect on yourDH. if you make it big issue, it will become a big issue. so just leave it. ask your sister to behave dignified way with her BIL. thats how we shd behave because we r humans ,we have lust by nature.some peopleare strong, some are weak so shd maintain the limit. u dont have to make this an issue and make DH feel awkward. just leave it..

5. sridevi101

sridevi101 Senior IL'ite

ur sister made a mistake taking it to your parents.. thats bad.. really bad. so its her mistake too.tell your DH not to touch anyone from other sex. shake hand, that too in profession is fine.

6. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

i feel bad for your husband and you.. i guess this is where the cultural differences come up in a really tragic way.. the way your husband has been brought up, hes been exposed to the way where interacting with a family member of opp sex does not mean lust by default & it is difficult for people who have been brought up in quite the opposite way to understand..
    but i feel appaled by the way your sis has reacted, esp after you have said
    this means even though your sisters been behaving that way, she still thought it was unacceptable.. in that case she should have reacted then..

But coming to you and husband, i think especially since we are all grown ups, we need to realise that people have different outlook & whats natural/normal to one might not be taken the same way by others.. so when we are with people who dont accept a particular behaviour, restrain from it. yes, that might be a way of showing afection & closeness in relationship for one, but for the other it might the greatest SIN.

Dont drag this on. you dont have to say your DH did wrong when you believe your DH has not done anything wrong. Tell your parents/sis that what he did might not be acceptable to them, so he apologises & thats end of story, but you dont think your DH did anything wrong as you trust him 100%.
    They need to know you trust him & know him.

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Sona , I would suggest please get the version of the incident from your sis as well.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sona,

You mentioned kiddo, so presumably you have been married for a few years. Your husband's pranks with sister when you got married might seem different to her now that she is older, and perhaps of marriageable age.

It is not clear why your husband continued to behave in a UP fashion even after you told him that such things are not common among Tamilians. Saali aadhi gharwali is fine but touching person of opposite gender other than a handshake is still taboo in many families in India, with the exception of brothers and cousins or close friends. Joking or commenting is different from physical touching. Getting that familiar with your sister when you are not present was a bad idea.

I would suggest you keep it brief. Don't hold yourself responsible for your husband's actions. You are getting pulled in so many directions by trying to explain to all and try to keep peace. Try not to drag the matter too much. Tell your sister and parents your husband didn't mean anything bad; and such incidents will not happen in the future. Do not apologize and don't make your husband apologize. Apologies for the sake of pacifying others is always a bad idea as people wrongly take it as an acceptance of guilt.

When the matter is a bit settled down, you may want to think about how your husband would feel if someone got familiar with you, and how you might feel if a woman other than your sister got familiar with your husband. For all the progress India has made, things are still quite traditional in some matters. Love marriages are widely accepted, but India still has a long way to go before familiarity between genders is commonly accepted.

-Rihana

9. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Umm a dicey issue . Keep DH and sis apart thats the only way. We can never know the truth ,only those two can say for sure as to what happened.
    Tell DH to be less jovial and to keep his hands to himself. No touching females unless its a handshake.
    Actually this relationship of BIL and SIL is very delicate ,there can a lot of joking, but limits should not be crossed. If your sis was super sensitive she should have shown her annoyance the first time itself.
    Maybe she feels that this behaviour will be frowned upon by her future hubby and family and wants to put an end to it.She may not be liking it now.

10. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Helo Ladies..

I think time is only healer in this case...
    Really dont know y my sister dis this ..as she knows my hubby very well..
    I spoke to my mother and expalined her (taking my hubby's side) that it was a casual beahvior..n nothing was intentional or to take advantage..
    Hope she understands...
    I told her all of us need some time..so plz give some time n den lets c..
    she also agreed..
    I really pray all come back to normal soon..
    My husband has vowed not to talk to my sister again...as he is scared of her now..who knows how she wil react...
    I was just thinking some time back..my life is going smoothly..office ,house parents ,in laws ,kiddo..hubby..all in track..and this thing came up..
    dont know why..this thing is ringing in my mind background...i need to get out of this...sooner the better..:(
    Life is so uncertain!!!!