Life in Nigeria?

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by sheelaprem, Sep 18, 2009.

1. sheelaprem

sheelaprem New IL'ite

Hi,

My huband got a offer from his company here in houston,tx for a expat assignment to Lekki,Nigeria.We will be staying in Chevron colony.We have two school going sons are really wondering what to do?I heard lot of horror stories and would appreciate your feedbacks on your stay there.We need to take a decision in a weeks time.

Sheela

2. sampathpk

sampathpk New IL'ite

Hi Sheela

Sorry I just saw this thread and am replying. Am not sure if it is going to be of any use now but nevertheless....

I was in Lagos, Victoria Island in Nigeria for about 4 months last year on a project implementation. Lekki is nearby the place where I stayed and have visited the Lekki beaches few times.

I would say that VI in general is quite safe provided you take the following precautions

a. Never wander alone during odd hours (early morning < 8 or in the late evening > 7PM)
    b. Ensure that you do not pick up any arguments with the locals.
    c. Do not use the ATM during the odd hours and in secluded places.
    d. Carry atleast 100 USD with you to be given to the attackers at any time.
    e. In case you are way laid, please do not argue, just give them whatever u have (except ur dress) DO NOT i repeat DO NOT argue with them for anything. Just give them everything, tell them 'SORRY HOGA' (HOGA means brother) and turn back and walk away.
    f. Try to avoid self driving and hire a local driver for going around.
    g. Ensure that you rent a house in a safe compound. Here the entry and exit points are guarded and the whole colony is walled and have armed guards.

VI - LAGOS is relatively safer than the other parts LAGOS. Lekki is kind of outskirts of VI. So, it is imperative that you take the maximum precaution.

I have tried to list down all the possible precautions. These were the ones that we took when I was there with my team. Thank god that my stay there went of without any incidents.

Do get in touch if you need any other information.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Guess, was not a useful post since the lead posted has not replied or commented-----

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. sheelaprem

sheelaprem New IL'ite

Hi Sampathpk & Vidya,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.Actually my kids were sick with strep throat and fever and I had to take them to the emergency twice.

I apologize to you both for not replying sooner.I can't tell you how much info i got from your replies.It will really help us to take a decision.

I will let you know once we decide this week.Once we say yes hopefully we will know in a few weeks time.Only thing i am much worried is the medical facility there as my kids are very young and their immunity level is kind of low.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences and precautions we need to take if we decide to go there.

Sheela

5. mercy

mercy New IL'ite

I hv stayed in Lagos for 7 years so I guess i am in a good position to guide u. Agreed ,there are security issues but that is a matter of chance. In all my stay there ,i never had any issue. You have to be respectful to your domestic help and driver and they will look after u well. The biggest advantage is that ur kids will get lot of company, many indians are there and there is a lot of social life. Both my kids grew up there and are doing fine. We had to subsequently move due to my husbands job but quite honestly i can tell u that the best years of my life were spent in Nigeria. Even now if i get a chance to go back, I would not hesitate for a minute.

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    we lived in Lagos in 2007 for one whole year.though luckily nothing dangereous happened but life there is little stressful.one keeps on hearing about robberies & kidnappings.
    there is no electricity for hrs & sometimes for days on stretch.companies pay for petrol for the generators .imagine the sound of generators workinfg around the clock...........i was unable to sleep for 1st week.
    then the smoke from generators fill the enviorment & increase the problem of asthma in kids & elders.......
    police is very corrupt.if self driving,they will stop u on one pretext or other.........
    still lots of advantages are there.lots of help from maid,driver & security..........
    good Indian community .people are very helpful.
    lots of indian doctors....
    Indian language school following CBSE .
    pragati

7. sheelaprem

sheelaprem New IL'ite

Mercy,Thank you for your reply.It's good to hear from someone who stayed there for 7 years.My husband said yes from his side and now the manager has to decide.Will let you know how it goes.

Mahajanpragati,
    Thank you for taking time to post your mixed thoughts.It's good to know both sides.Will be in touch...

Sheela

8. trim

trim New IL'ite

I am a Nigerian. I love indian stuff though! Anyway, Lekki is okay, just take precautions as outlined above. If you come you will find that there are so many other Indians here!