Libraries in Delhi

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by Shabnam88, Mar 4, 2010.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

I find this discussion interesting. I must write about the Central Secretariat Library (CSL) which is housed in G Wing, Shastri Bhawan, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:City></st1:place>. My father was a <st1:place w:st="on">Central Govt</st1:place> official and he used to get 4 Library cards. I used to borrow books from the Library during my summer vacation holidays.

It is one of the oldest libraries of the Government of India. It began way back in 1891 when the Imperial Secretariat Library was established in Kolkata during the British Rule. The Library came to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> with shifting of the Capital. With more than 5.50 Lakh volumes, the Central Sectt Library is the second largest Central Government library after the National Library, Kolkata.

2. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

As a regular visitor of the Central Sectt Library, I would like to add that in addition to the main Library at Shastri Bhawan, there are two more branches in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> at Tulsi Sadan, Bhawalpur House and R.K.Puram.
    The CSL has the following units- The Main <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Reading</st1:place></st1:City> Area, Indian Official Document Division, Foreign Official Document Division, Serials Division and the Non Print Material section.
    I mainly visit the Main <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Reading</st1:place></st1:City> Area which has the Reference Division. The Division has encyclopedias and dictionaries with more than 42000 documents. The famous Area Studies Division has about 60,000 volumes and has documents pertaining to the most obscure district and town in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.
    :cheers

3. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> International Centre, <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Joseph Stein Lane</st1:Street>, <st1:City w:st="on">Lodi</st1:City></st1:address> Estate, <st1:City w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:City> is a unique elite intellectual and cultural institution in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. The IIC Library with it wide collection of books has played a notable role in enhancing the intellectual ambience of the institute.
    The IIC Library was established in 1962. Presently, it has more than 40,000 volumes on social sciences, history, and literature. The IIC Library is well known for its two special collection i.e. the “India Collection” and the “Himalayan Club Library” While the India Collection has about 700 rare books on Mughal History, the Himalayan Club Collection has about 550 books on flora and fauna of the Himalayas.

4. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

As Amrita says, the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library is a premiere research library. It has an interesting stock of many rare docements and printed materials. The library has been enriched by the personal collection of Pandit Nehru who himself was a learned personality.

This library is a treasure trove of rare books, newspapers, periodicals belonging to the pre and post independent era of our country. It also boasts of unpublished records of institutions and private papers of eminent Indians, which are priceless materials for research scholars in economics, modern history, administration and planning.

My father is a member of the IIC Library that Bandana tells us about.

:coffee

5. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shabnam
    While this thread has covered many a library in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>, the Delhi Public Library has not been covered so far. You are sure to find a branch of the Delhi Public Library near your home.
    The Delhi Public Library came into being in 1951 and was a joint project of UNESCO and the Govt. of India. Mr. Edward Sydney was appointed the first Director of DPL. The Library has certainly made progress over the years. Branches of the DPL can be found all over <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> with the Central Library (opposite the Old Delhi Railway Station), Sarojini Nagar (Zonal Library) Patel Nagar, Karol Bagh & Shahdara (branch libraries) and in addition 23 Resettlement Colony Libraries, Sports Library, Braille Library, Prisoners Library & Mobile Libraries.

6. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

I visited the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library on Friday. I learnt that the library offers both individual and industrial membership. There are both reading and lending facilities for individuals. Individuals must subscribe annually in order to have the privilege of borrowing for which a certain sum of security deposit is charged extra which is refundable.
    The membership rule is different for industrial members who could be government sponsored, and working or retired bureaucrats.

This library boasts of a varied collection of books from the personal library of Pandit Nehru. This includes books in history, religion, philosophy and some significant works of the great visionary himself.

7. ruchibatra9

ruchibatra9 New IL'ite

The American Library - New Delhi
    Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Connaught Place
    New Delhi
    Here u can get all kinds of books for reading...