1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk About Potty Training

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by blackbeauty84, Jan 11, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I'm mom of 17 months old boy and thinking of potty training him. He wears diapers only at night and during day time he wears cotton chaddis. Now he tells me after peeing/pooping. I have got a potty seat for him. He screams his lungs out when I place him in potty seat.

I tried asking him to pee in bathroom floor that's not working out either. So how to train him. Any tips/tricks will be welcome.

Thanks.

2. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

@blackbeauty84
    I have no useful tip for you..however i am sailing in the same boat. I have a 14 month old and would like to potty train him. Want to start in couple of months. Would like to follow your post for tips
    Btw, my toddler squats down when he has to poo. baby center says it is one of the signs showing he is ready to be trained. does your's do any such thing?
    Which seat did you get? the one that fits on the regular commode or the small potty trainer meant for kids?
    I think its easy to start with the latter. May be you can make him sit on it by rewarding him..like give him his fav toy to hold once he sits . try and teach him to grunt and use force. then clap and say good job.. this is just an idea that i want to try on my boy...no clue if it will actually work

3. blackbeauty84

Yes last couple of days he started squating. I got the one which fits on regular commode. Is small trainer more useful?

4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

It is very hard to make a toddler do something, as it is equally hard to stop a toddler from doing what he wants.
    Let him "causally" see his dad use the toilet a couple of times, (seated is better , imo). And when he is a little comfortable get daddy to take him to the toilet/ potty seat and use it, like right after nap time. If he does use it , clap, and hug - treat it as a big achievement. Ignore the occasional mess.

Dont worry, he will get trained soon.

5. WorriesTooMuch

WorriesTooMuch Silver IL'ite

Have you tried a separate potty? Maybe he's feeling a little scared of the toilet bowl, even with the potty seat. Mine refused to sit at that age too. So we bought a separate little potty and put it in the living room (when there were no visitors of course!)

We'd put her on it after every nap/meal and just talk to her calmly. If she went, we'd cheer. If not, we'd wait for ten minutes and just take her off. No pressure. Once she got used to it, she'd take off her pants and sit on her own. Then we slowly graduated to potty seat in the bathroom.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Like anything else the child has to be ready for it. You can try battling it out before the child can understand and frustrate yourself. Or you can let the child stay in nappies for a little longer.

Here, the best advice I got was to get a potty seat which fits over the toilet, set up a stool so the child can reach it. Then take the child to the seat and ask the child to do the job there. Until they do, keep them on nappies.

Don't pressurise them or make it a big deal. As soon as they've done their job in the toilet, whisk off the nappy and switch to normal pants. Take the child every half an hour. (We'd count to 10 after she's been on the potty. If she doesnt do anything in that time, she's off. It became a game and she'd be thrilled if she beat her own time!) There will be accidents but remain cool and it will work quickly.

For going out, pull up nappy pants are the best. The child can take it down and up like normal pants but it will hold any accidents.

My child was potty trained by 2 1/4 or so. By that I mean she would go to the toilet when she needed to, wiped properly, washed her hands with soap and came out without any inputs from me.

Night training took a lot longer because she would sleep undisturbed for 12 hours every night. We just used pull up pants for another couple of years, then switched to waking her around 10 and finally she has got the hang of waking up if she needs the loo.

I feel the key is to not stress it out.

7. blackbeauty84

We are trying that too. we are letting him see his dad using toilet. Thanks for the tips

8. blackbeauty84

couple of my friends recommended potty seat as transitioning from separate potty to seat was difficult..Let me try with separate potty

9. blackbeauty84

Game idea is really cool. Let me try that. eah we are using pull up pants while going out.

10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Pros and cons with both .

I used the potty seat for my older kid, it was easier as she was more icky one. The issue was once she was comfortable she always wanted it, she cant go on the daiper too. So where every she went, the potty seat had to go with her. Even visiting friends :facepalm:. My MIL was like, you mean she will poop inside the house?? :grazy:

So for the next one i used the seat. Luckily he liked the bathroom, the tub was his favourite spot, so has often seen me/DH sit on the covered seat while we monitor him. And he loved to flush. But it was harder, after the initial phase , I couldnt tell him to sit on it while I did my stuff, I had to be there all the time he spent trying, his fidgety hands reaching out for the roll, plug points, and boy was my patience tested!
    But by the time he was 3+ it was routine.