1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Relax, Let's Walk Around Madurai

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 10, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You set me thinking, again

Dear Kamla,

thanks for the soft words of praise. Any decision in life is a huge trade-off and when we strike the deal we don't know what we will get.

One thing I learnt during these 48 plus years of life covered in 28 years of age is that there is no general cure, there is no sarvaroga nivarani no universal way out of our life's problems. Many of my friends and many of my very close relatives are NRIs. Two things I have observed in them. Most of them are fighting so many odds in a foreign country often without friends or relatives to help them out. Second, and which is more important, is that these people are cut out to be abroad. Their approach to life, their tastes and their values are such that had they lived here there life would have been hell. But any day living outside our homecountry is a huge decision and people are always in conflict. I know about a couple of websites devoted to Indians who are unable to decide whether to return home or not.
    And that is why when my collegemate or my friend in profession or my brother in law call from Europe and ask me affectionately, "What gift shall I bring for you, sridhar?" I tell them, "have a pleasant journey back home. That is gift enough for me."
    I am pained to see that in some cases a relative living abroad is treated as a Santa Claus carrying expensive gifts every time he comes back to India.
    My adoptive father used to say, "yarukku enga bikshaiyo" meaning, where a person gets his livelihood is predetermined.
    I shall also narrate an interesting incident. When we had just started our professional practice Govt. audit was lucrative. We tried hard to get some Govt assignments but could not get them. Whereas one of my friends, he is of the same age as I am, used to get a lot of Govt audits. I did not have the heart to ask him how did he manage to get those audits while we were slogging for much less in private audit assignments.
    And one day this friend came to see me. He said, "sridhar, I am fed up with these Govt audits. Tell me how to get some private audits." I was stunned. I told him my adoptive fathers words, yarukku enga bikshaiyo.
    What happened between me and my friend is happening between Resident Indians and NRIs. Each class wants to be the other.
    But believe me staying afloat in this profession in India is no easy task. It requires a lot of skills apart from professional skills. In short it is like driving in our Town Hall Road while a professional life abroad is cruising in autobahn.
    I have struggled and I am struggling. But to me it feels that to stay here in Madurai the struggle is any day worth the while.
    But I know that to many even to stay here in Madurai is a struggle.
    Logho Binna ruchihi. Tastes differ. It takes all the types to make up the world.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Time For Another Walk, Ladies!

Most Gracious ILites,

I dont want to spoil your festive mood by posting about some tragic problems. So this Saturday also we are taking a walk around the streets of Madurai. I have posted the thread. Please read and let me have your views.

I have also posted the scanned pdf version of my story in Ananda Vikatan in the relevant thread (Varalotti sir, You Rock thread)
    Have a nice weekend!

Varalotti

3. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Varalotti - I just read your description about Madudrai and the surroundings. It was really interesting to read about Madurai. Actually I am planning to visit Madurai during October this year. I have never been to Madurai though my mother was born there. So now I have the chance to see how Madurai is. Unfotunately my mother died many years ago. My mouth was watering when I was reading about sundal, idli and karam, neimittai. I never heard about Paruthipal so let me try that too. Do you have any suggestion for accommodation in Madurai? I am very much eager to visit the Meenakshiamman temple too. Thanks for posting some information about Madurai. Regards from Nirmala

4. varalotti

Hi Nirmala,
    Welcome to Madurai. Accommodation in Madurai is not a problem. From Rs.400 per day to about Rs.10,000 per day there are hotels. Quite a lot of them. There is Hotel Aarathy near Central Bus Stand and Railway Station. Reasonably priced.
    Hotel Taj Garden Retreat is about 8 kms from the Railway Station. Good but expensive.
    You have a hundred lodges near the Station. From there the Temple is just a few minutes of walk. Or you can take an auto rickshaw.
    Welcome to Madurai, Nirmala.
    regards,

5. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Varalotti

Thanks for your information regarding accommodatin in Madurai. I will be visiting Yercaud first then Trichy (the place where I was born) and then Madurai. I am really looking forward to visit Madurai as it has been my dream since I was a child. So now the opportunity has come and I do not want to miss it.

Regards
    Nirmala