1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Relax, Let's Walk Around Madurai

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 10, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You are righ AGRji

Dear AGRji,
    you are right. Every city has its attractions which will appeal to the people of that city. I know many chennaites, AGRji. My cousins, my own brother and sister are chennaites. For them unless they get squeezed and crushed in the mad-rush of Renganathan street shopping would not be complete. And I am surprised at the load they used to carry after shopping - enough to fill up a Minidor Van of Force Motors, all in their two hands. And all the while they will be talking. And their haggling, would put even business barons to shame.
    Great city. But let me have Madurai and AGRji you have Chennai. ha ha ha
    Thanks for giving company during the walk.
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Should I reply, Chitra?

I don't think there is a need to reply to your post. Once the food is cooked there is a procedure called "thalicchi kotrathu" which adds real flavour to the food. And you, true to your expertise, have corrected the salt, the karam and finally thalichi kottified my post on Madurai. thanks
    sridhar

3. varalotti

You have set me thinking, Again, Preethi!

Dear Preethi,

(you may please address me as sridhar. My daughter calls me so. Bearing my daughter's name you can't call me Mr.Varalotti)

You have been a silent reader and suddenly you burst into action. In an ordinary walk around Madurai you have touched some great values.

I don't think it is such a simple question to answer. To stay in homeland or to stray away in search of greener pastures is a difficult question to answer. It is even more difficult to generalise the answer to this major question.

For me it was just a natural feeling. I could not think of moving out of Madurai. For a long time I did not even have a passport. Only when I started to travel out of India in 1993 did I first acquire my passport.

In the same way for many others going out of Madurai had been a natural choice. These people would have suffered had they stayed in Madurai. For instance I had a friend who studied CA with me. He failed the exams several times. And in Madurai he could have only been a listless accountant. But he is now running his own company in the US and has clearly made his millions.

While I love my Madurai and would not go out of it even for the millions, I dont have the heart to blame those people who have gone out. And they have not gone just for making more money. They have gone in search of meaning. They have gone out propelled by some inner urge which they could not satisfy here in Madurai.

But Preethi, any decision you make in life, whether it is the grand decision to marry or stay single, or the mundane decision of travelling by flight or train, is just a trade-off. Every choice has its pains and profits. And we naturally choose the alternative with the least pain.

So is the choice of staying at home or making the world your home.
    Thanks a ton for giving me an opportunity to think on my life choices.
    regards,
    sridhar

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed it too:)

Dear Varalotti,

Even I enjoyed your reply to Preethi. A man of experience speaking sincerely and objectively. Why does one make a decision to leave one's own homeland and fight all odds to live in some foreign country?! The answer is manifold. What is true is your life is pre-destined:) Inspite of holding a strong conviction about staying in your hometown, it was gratifying for people like me to see how you view other's choices with understanding.

L, Kamla

5. varalotti

Thanks For Coming, Meena!

Hello Meena,

nice to see you after a loooooooooooooooooooong time. While thanking you for accompanying me on the virtual tour (which is something like Chitra giving a digital snapshot of her mouthwatering preparations) I am also extending a warm welcome to come to Madurai.

I have also enjoyed walking through the Bangalore Roads. You won't believe last time when I was in Bangalore I had some two hours to spare the whole of which I spent walking in Brigades Road and Commercial Street.

When I told this enjoyable walk to my wife she showed a long face and complained, 'I know why you enjoyed those walks.'

I think there is some truth in her saying too. For one of my writer friends used to describe Bangalore as "Pengal Oor". How is that?
    regards,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

I have scored now!

Dear Usha,
    thanks for awarding me 10/10, though I dont remember to have scored that kind of marks in essay writing. I used to commit a lot of grammar mistakes. Thank God, over the years I have improved a weebit.
    I am still a student at heart and so I am thrilled to see the marks you have awarded me.
    And thanks a ton for your Dubai invitation. Will take a rain check on that. The only place I have so far visited in Dubai is its air port and that too long back. I used to see pictures of the Gold Jewellery when there is some fair or festival for jewellery over there. My God! So much of yellow metal, all over. I even suspected that I have developed jaundice all of a sudden.
    Thanks a lot for your kind invitation, once again.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Thanks Varloo For the Malarum Ninaivukal

Dear Varloo,
    I am happy to learn that Madurai has had a great role to play in your life. And I am happy that I have kindled your Malarum Ninaivukal. Right from the time you came as a five year old girl (by that time I would not hav been born at all; howzzat) to your coming to meet your prospective husband at the mid point between Chennai and Trivandrum, your travelling with your batchmates, and visiting Madurai while you were honeymooning.
    Most welcome to Madurai again, Varloo.
    Thanks for the nice post.
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Thanks Purnima!

Hi Purnima,

This reforming Indians has been air for aeons. Agreed that Indians do not behave in the way they should. But the Indian psyche is quite complex. I will tell you where we score much more over others. I am thinking of posting a sequel to this thread where I will tell you where lies our superiority.

But one thing, Purnima. Our home might be in a mess. And our neighbour's might be spick and span. Still our home is our home right?

As you rightly pointed out there are areas where Indian attitudes should change. But the number of areas where the West's attitude should change is almost twice as large as that.

Thanks for coming along,
    Varalotti

9. varalotti

Thanks Twinmom

Dear Twinmom,
    thanks for coming along with us.
    If you don't consider me inquisitive can you tell me the reason behind your name? Are you the proud mother of twins? Eager to know,
    sridhar

10. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Loved this line!

"Our home might be in a mess. And our neighbour's might be spick and span. Still our home is our home right? ". I agree with this 101%, once again i am saying , i was soooooo glad to be back to my dear India!

Kudos Varalotti!

Purni