Letrozole vs clomephene citerate

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by tanoshii, Feb 22, 2012.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Got the answer for my question.

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

I was given Letrozole 2.5mg 2 years ago in India. I has a positive response and fell pregnant with the first try itself. This time I asked about the same here in UK but was told its illegal here to prescribe the drug due to its numerous side effects. And clomid is the only prescribed medication to induce ovulation.

I understand both these drugs have side effects and one more than the other.
    But in India, how come is Letrozole still being prescribed? I just want to know cos I would like to decide on my own treatment knowing better about the medication I am being given. I have been on clomid for the past 3 months with no result. I do have a chance to visit India in a couple of months. So if nothing works out here in the UK, I would have an option to try out the other drug before going ahead and trying the next course of action.

3. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Dear Tanoshi,

letroz has been banned in india and u wont find it in medical stores (some may b selling illegally).But, the doctors hav stopped prescribing it.My doctor had given me ubiphene in its place.Good luck...

4. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your reply Rachna. And thanks for the information. I was told by my friend very recently about this and was quite confused.