1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let The Kids Start At Love All

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by kkrish, Jul 26, 2018.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

This was @Mistt 's query here How To Make Kids Complexion Fairer
    Dear Mistt

Before I give you how I handled the situation I have to tell where I stand and how I look at relationship with in-laws.

This is one of the many governing values with which we, my husband and I, brought up our children.
    "Our children have every right (It is their birthright) to enjoy the love of both sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. I or my husband have no business denying them that right."​

And this is what we drilled into our children.
    • In this world of billions of people, there are only a countable number of people that we can call our own.
    • So, cherish them, be friends with them, respect them, and learn to live with them. They may not be what you want, but that is what God gave you. So learn to get the best out of what you have.
    This is very important for me – when we leave this world our children should have the support of their uncles, aunts, and cousins. These people are their roots and my children in turn should teach their children to hold on to the family roots.

There’s more, but I‘ll stop here.
    This is how we handled some delicate moments and they varied by situation.

Even before leaving for India we used to explain to the kids that there is a cultural difference and therefore some misunderstandings may arise. Towards this we had asked them to not complain too much, and to not talk about being American too much which may come through as show off, etc.

Despite all this if they had complaint about anyone from their father’s side I told my children to tell their father and to “do what dad says”. I stepped cleanly out of it. Many times I never even wanted to know what transpired between the kids, my husband, and his side of the family. This, especially when an adult is involved.

It is my husband’s duty to protect his children from hurt and I trusted that he will do his best.

I took care of handling my side of the family if they annoyed the kids unnecessarily. I never let my husband involve.

Sometimes my husband and I have asked our children to tell the person in a good way that their words/actions are hurting them – usually it is their cousins.

My in-laws are very nice folks and these small irritants could be counted with ten fingers at the most through all these years.
    This was a very difficult task for me @Mistt .
    In relationship issues I always believe it is not possible to give solutions because, we do not know the nature - yours, your children’s, your in-law’s, and that of the situation also. :)

sindmani, HazelPup, peartree and 9 others like this.

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Kkrish ma'am,
    Thank you so much for giving precious points and I truly appreciate you for talking valuable time of yours and gave me wonderful advice.
    Usually before going to in - laws place I always tell my kids that if they say something which is hurtful / dislike also just say okay or give smile. Kids follow my suggestion but somehow my daughter feels uncomfortable and dislike those comparisons and comments ( she encounters those situations there only ) so she shares her feelings to me. I know I can't change some people's attitude but we have to know how to reciprocate to such things. So I say don't take their talks to heart and just ignore.
    This time I want to make her comfortable so asked you and you gave The best needful points.
    True Kkrish ma'am, you don't know about nature of mine, my kids, in - laws and situation but you gave the best of you. Thank you once again and I need to improve on somethings.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    kkrish and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Mistt
    I was really worried, wondering if I had helped you or offended you.

I am glad you took the message in the right spirit.

Parenting is the most difficult.
    One one side are your children on the other side is the world.

It is a test for us in the field of diplomacy, tact, wisdom, discipline, sense-of-humor, patience, ...
    It is only when the child is growing up that we grow up too.

Before I had kids I used to think that bringing up child is just changing diapers, cooing and playing with them, and cooking them alphabet shaped chapatis.

Now I know that it is not at all what the Maggi Noodles ads showed:
    "Maa mujhe bhookh lagee hai" (Mom, I am hungry)
    "Dho minute!" (two minutes) - a smiling, impeccably groomed mom replies.​

Hehehe... two minutes??!!! It takes all of 30 minutes, and longer if I am bone tired, disheveled, and have no noodles in pantry!

Happy parenting!

SCA, sindmani and Mistt like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

"It is a test for us in the field of diplomacy, tact, wisdom, discipline, sense-of-humor, patience, ...
    It is only when thechild is growing up that we grow up too."

@kkrish,

Well said, this is so true!:clap2:

kkrish and Mistt like this.
  5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish ma'am
    Well said and Thank you once again. Both my kids are much mature for their age. They understand and support me very well ( Touch wood and by God's grace). We are doing our best!.
    I may not refer the what kind of situations,comparisons and comments we encounter there but I GOT the valued points from your 2 posts. Thank you Ma'am :)
    Just noticed, name of the thread changed but I liked it. Let the kids start at love all. ( nice title)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    kkrish likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Yes, credit goes to @Cheeniya sir for coming up with this title.

You are doing the right thing. I understand, and praise you for not posting them. That shows your calibre.

Mistt likes this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish ma'am,
    I used to tell just ignore and don't take it heart to any unpleasant talk but now I can tell them why do we need to accept them as how they are which I noted from your first post. Thank you so much for your precious points.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    kkrish likes this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya uncle,
    So sweet and well fit title. Thank you.

9. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

Raising kids with respect (despite cultural differences) to their elders is very important, and respect means they listen well (to their wisdom), but listening well does not automatically means that they will follow their every words or advice. Kids have their own minds, and if you are able to teach them well, they know that considering some good advice won't hurt them. :smiley:

kkrish likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @GeetaKashyap .