1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving locker key in India

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by justanotherDIL, Jan 7, 2014.

1. justanotherDIL

justanotherDIL New IL'ite

Thank you. That is exactly where my problem lies. Because there hasn't been any straightforward, big, negative issue between my MIL and me so far, I don't want to directly say no to her and create a rift. And whatever it is that I don't like about her (her expectations from my parents and greedy tendencies), it's all relatively minor and unknown to my DH and FIL. So, I don't know how to handle this without it turning into a big power play about who has control of the locker. :-/

2. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

there are 2 -3 different things you can do.
    1. Bring all the gold to US and open a locker here. Most banks give you locker facility.
    2. If you want to keep the gold in India for now then ask her why she wants the key. Explain that you have some other personal things in locker not just the jewels she gave u and so u dont want to give her the key. See if she stops there.
    If not, then quietly move only the things given by your parents to another locker and leave the key and the jewels given by her with her. This also means that mentally you are okay if she wants to 'take back' what she gave to you, use it or generally have access to it. This way at least you will protect what was given by parents which for most women has a lot of senti value. If she open locker and sees ur parent stuff not there and ask then tell you moved it to another locker. Or tell that your mom is keeping it safe for you.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Answer for this, I have a locker in US. They charge 35 $ for an year. Even if you move out of the state, still it's a flight away.

4. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP, Your MIL may not be able to operate the locker if you and your DH are the holders even if the manager is known to them. I am from a small town myself but I had no access to my mom's locker (inspite of knowing the bank manager and my cousin working there) until my name was added. Similarly my mom and dad have no access to my SIL and my brother's joint locker. As far as I remember, one has to sign in and sign out while operating the locker. You can clarify this with the bank on your next visit to India.

3 people like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Next time she asks, say, "Why mum? Do you want to put your things in my locker?"

Or if she asks for the key before you leave India, look her straight in the eye and with a concerned expression say, "Mum, I've packed it back in the bottom of my suitcase. I always feel very uncomfortable (add that you have sleepless nights) when I don't personally keep all my important documents, keys etc. carefully with me. Don't worry. I won't lose it. I'm really scrupulously cautious about my belongings." Then, don't budge. Change the topic and ask if they'd like tea and cakes...

1 person likes this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thats just the way our moms generation are. They are scared we are too forgetful and we will land in India for a wedding after forgetting to bring the locker key or misplacing it in the US . Been there done that.
    There are horror stories everywhere. We read and file it away but dont let our relationships or how we perceive people be based on that . After all if one were to go by it I wouldn't even get into my car every day in the morning.
    I normally don't bother to post in the inlaws-forum any more.You are newly married and u have a chance to make things right . Its better to enter any relationship in good faith esp when there is nothing wrong(...and I was mildly intrigued by ur user Id :)). The choice is urs. I could be completely wrong....but then again there is a chance I could be right and ur MIL could be like mine who takes care of my jewellery in India for more than a decade now and I am glad I handed over the key .She takes care of regular repairs ,polishing and exchanges for new designs. Every once in a while new pieces of jewellery mysteriously surface in my locker. FIL who is the co-owner brings jewelry home from the locker few days before I land....and keeps them safely back after I return. All I have to do is call her. It makes my life really simple.

8 people like this.
  7. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Why dont u tell this to your DH? Tell him she keeps asking. Find a solution. Or ask her directly, why do you keep asking? Do you think m careless? Any reason why u think so?

8. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Unless it is the joint locker between you and MIL/FIL, she won't be able to access it. If you still don't want to leave it to her, bring it to India and forget it at your parent's place.......

9. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Dear OP, Your MIL may just want to feel the power of having the locker key with her.Or else ,maybe she is trying to see whether you trust her enough. If this is any consolation to you, my jewellery is still in MIL's locker (after 3 yrs of marriage) and that locker has not got my name.Just after my marriage my MIL had calmly collected my jewellery, asked me to prepare a list and put them in her locker.If I had even dared to say no, then I am sure that not only MIL but husband would also have said that I do not trust them. What is the point in stirring up a hornet's nest ?

But surely in few years I will try to get the jewellery in a locker having my name giving excuses like it will be easy for me to handle etc etc...But this has to be done slowly and gradually..Even if you find it difficult to trust your MIL, in the department of jewellery, it is extremely dangerous to show your mistrust..It can cause a rift of a lifetime...

10. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,
    All the suggestions here are good and you can follow any of them according to the applicability in your case. I have the same opinion as a fellow poster.
    1.) Open another locker near your parent's residence. Transfer all your mother's side of jewellery there.
    2.) Retain MIL's side of jewellery in the current locker. Hand over the key to her.
    Since you didn't specify whose locker it is, do not know if your MIL can operate the locker or not. So, no worries.

I would have done the same. In fact I need to make a post on this jewellery issue soon.

If you are still too worried, then number each jewellery, weight it individually and take its photo for record and take the list with you to the US.