1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving locker key in India

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by justanotherDIL, Jan 7, 2014.

1. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Why do you want to wait for few years? If you leave it too long, it's not yours!

Any way, I kept my jewelery for 10 years. Gave it way the most, managed to bring few pieces.

2. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

As long as you are the sole owner of the locker, what is she going to do with the 'key'? No bank will allow her to open it.. Its another matter IF she/fil/DH are joint owners.. Then, wrap your stuff in rags and run to a different bank..
    I think, since you are newly married and will be attending weddings, she doesn't want you to attend them without your jewels..if you forget the key, then its difficult. The fact that you got so much gold suggests that she really feels like 'showing off'. This happens. So, as long as she is not asking you to leave it with her, dont complicate things.I only carry my cards when I leave IN. Its always better to leave passbooks/unsigned checks/locker keys/documents etc., with a trusted person back home..

4 people like this.
  3. justanotherDIL

justanotherDIL New IL'ite

I need to wait a few years because we move around in the US every few years and I don't know how safe it is to travel with so much jewelry here. So I was thinking I can bring everything here once we have a permanent home.

4. justanotherDIL

5. justanotherDIL

That's what I thought too. But, they live in a small town and the manager of the bank is very close friend of my brother in law. So he'll let her operate the locker without any issues.

You are right about leaving key and checkbooks etc in India. And that's what I had planned to do too. But her interest and constant questions about the key has made me suspicious of her intentions. But, you're right. For all I know, she's just trying to remind me to bring the key, with no ulterior motive.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. justanotherDIL

That is a great idea. If it comes to that and I do have to give the key to her, I'll have to make sure I do it in front of him. So that he knows.

7. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

In US too you should keep your jewels in bank locker. It does not matter if you live in an apartment or homse(permanent).
    Your Mil is just reminding you to bring the key. she is not asking you to leave it with her or have access to your locker. why are you assuming that she wants the key to herself.

8. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Here is my suggestion. Your mom and MIL both gave you a lot of jewellery. Bring whatever your parents gifted you during marriage to the US (or move it to a separate locker) and give MIL the key to the other one with the stuff she gifted in it.
    Also talk about leaving the key with MIL in front of FIL.

She has asked for the key directly, not the contents. If there have been no serious issues with your MIL so far, showing that you doubt her integrity (regardless of all the horror stories you may have heard) is definitely going to be a big future flashpoint. You may even find it difficult to convince your husband why you doubt his parents' honesty without any basis.

Handle it tactfully so that there is no scope for any tit-for-tat involving your parents.

3 people like this.
  9. justanotherDIL

I think she wants it to herself because after I came to the US, she asked me, "You took the key with you?" I said yes. She said, "You can send it to your brother in law by mail. He is coming to India in a few weeks. He can bring it to me."