Learning Punjabi...has anyone who does not speak it as a mother tongue learned it? ++

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bimala, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Bimala

Bimala New IL'ite

I have no plans to move to Punjab, but I have been loving to listen to bhangra songs and would like to properly understand them...lol. Would Punjabi be very difficult to learn? (my mother tongue is Bengali and I also speak Hindi and English)

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Re: Learning Punjabi...has anyone who does not speak it as a mother tongue learned it

Hi Bimala,

Punjabi is not very difficult to pick up as you already speak Hindi, The script is Gurmukhi, but to speak it is easy. We too are able to understand a few sentences here and there. And also, it is not an uncommon language.

If you have a flair for languages, then you wil learn fast.

In my case, I do not have a flair for languages. After getting married, had to move to South India. But inspite of being married for a dozen years, I have not picked much. Everybody tell me that South Indian languages like Tamil, Kannada, Telegu and Malayalam are the hardest to learn.

Watch Punjabi Channels. Am sure, it wil help u. Good Luck friend!!! (I need some luck too for my Tamil as DH feels so frustrated that I am not even able to pck up the State's language even aftr so many yrs!)

3. Bimala

Bimala New IL'ite

Re: Learning Punjabi...has anyone who does not speak it as a mother tongue learned it

thank you for the advice & luck! Best of luck to you as well to improve your Tamil, I agree that South Indian languages are quite difficult to understand and learn, I went to TN and could not understand anyone (unless they spoke English!)