1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Learning From The Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Amulet, your cheer and effort to educate/entertain the latter day browsers is endearing, but please allow me to explain what I requested a delete and prefer that had been done. When a post is publicly criticized like it was, it is best that it be removed. If not, like at a funeral, with each new condolence giver's arrival, the wailing starts afresh and detailed description of how the departed did so, and the last words etc. Even after the complaint has been lodged, while it is being reviewed and after a decision has been made, the lament about the damned post continues. Very respectfully mind you, but a continued and extended lament nonetheless. Like in radio ads advertising, they say the business's phone number should be repeated thrice to sink in. Well, we all have our virtual vanity, don't we? Not much fun that you also have made PA and its text-detection a matter of mirth in other threads.

I don't like such drama. My post is considered not whatever enough, delete it. I prefer a direct response to the content of the post. Not bringing in one's age, gender, good stuff done in life, coy reference to other members who have opined on a similar topic.

At best my post was worthy of the Likes under it. At worst, it was guilty of employing some of the child-like approaches suggested in the snippet. Like you said, I think it brought a different perspective in a crisp manner. No couching it in "I see what you are saying, but I beg to differ.." platitudes. I actually read the post yet again and hence also the parts it quoted. In all the examples, children at their cherubic best have been compared to adults at their frazzled and impatient worst, and adults told to emulate the children. The charming single-minded focus of a child on a toy is the same one that drives a parent nuts when child refuses to put the toy away and brush teeth. The same child who adapts so well to a new place will make life miserable for all if a step-parent enters the family picture. I found the basic premise to be flawed and the examples one-sided. Continued participation by me and examination of the alleged glorification of child-like qualities would have made for interesting reading by all.

Anyway, some good always comes out of such experiences. I have learnt not to engage with OP unless I fully agree with him on a topic. I tell my child who spends 12 hrs in front of the computer, "Studies have shown that resting the eyes every hour helps..." He asks me, "which studies?" What is wrong with that question? I respond and we look into how to evaluate the credibility of studies.

@Desiindian to click Like on such a post after it is thus treated takes conviction and a certain going out on a limb. Impressed.

Lalithambigai likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya, wanted to acknowledge your response to the delete request. You know best.

I regret having had a role in increasing the moderator work you do.

3. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I read @Viswamitra's responses and I didn't see him do any of that. He probably was hurt with the tone than content.
    In a lighter vein, I think you like drama :) based on below line. Else why so dramatic :)?
    Readers benefit from your detailed responses and I truly appreciate your insight in many topics. But sometimes the tone of your messages seem curt as I have been victim of that in one of the education threads.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

The sequence is as follows:

1) I responded respectfully that @Rihana and I were miles apart in our thinking. She liked my response.
    2) I requested Cheeniya Sir to close my own thread as the tone and demeanor was increasingly difficult for me to handle. I didn't even refer to her response as the reason for that.
    3) @Rihana replied that she found nothing wrong in her tone however requested to delete it in the same thread
    4) When I mentioned about another writer who had written she learns from the children, @Rihana asked me whether I was referring to either Viji Iyer or Jayasala and I responded to her question respectfully that I was not referring to either one of them.
    4) I have replied to @Rihana why I found her tone and demeanor wrong in her response respectfully.
    5) Cheeniya Sir decided to keep her response and thread as is but asked me why should different opinions affect friendship.
    6) I have accepted his decision and told him that differences like this is not going to affect my friendship with @Rihana.

Where is drama in this process? Whereas I see #61 again as a post with wrong tone and demeanor taunting that @Rihana may not respond if she doesn't agree with me on the subject. I never questioned her different opinions and we differed a lot in the past and in this thread as well. I only objected to her tone and demeanor in her response in this thread only. If she really didn't want to involve responding to my threads with conflicting views, she could have sent me a private message or even just not respond. This is precisely why I asked this thread to be closed by Cheeniya Sir but he didn't.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I didn't want to do this but I seem to have no other choice. Sorry.

Lalithambigai likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.