1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Learning From The Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When you put it that way, I'm tempted to. Might be handy to have a slogan if I decide to do a Kabat-Zinn for a second career. :smile:

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You know, I have a half written snippet somewhere with that title. The moment made such a strong impact on me that I wrote a short outline immediately after the incident and fleshed it out roughly some weeks later. Never did get around to having a proper go at turning it into a cohesive snippet. One day when the little birds have flown the nest I will return to IL and write snippets at leisure. Right now life needs living! : )

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

As always with most of your threads, I had to read it a couple of times :) That said, I can see what you are trying to say. I am not a very analytical person and generally cannot categorize well! I also tend to believe personally that the moment I categorize, I tend to box-in ideas - good, bad, ugly and so only choose to observe and delight in who the kids are and how I can influence and learn from them as well. What I notice mostly in the children I interact with, is their ability to have wonder and joy and their ability to forget and move on - this last one I see as a valuable lesson for me as a teacher. It has taught me not to be upset or judge a student from my previous day's experience with the student. I try to go into the classroom as if it is my first day with them and most of the times that has made a huge difference, to me. I have also learnt that when I join them in play, it indeed is very delightful.

Of course, there are days and circumstances (not to forget the age groups) in their lives as well but for the most part, they generally tend to be happy, especially once the time for a recess or lunch comes up - it is like they are new little people :). As a teacher, I am also aware of the fact that I am making an impact on their being as they grow into adults, hence my hesitation to form opinions, either ways. This allows me to see it as an opportunity to help them with their character building when I see them lying/cheating/stealing etc. Yes, all of that happens too! I think knowing when I have to be the adult and when I need to emulate them makes all the difference.

Children often seem to be willing to work in the circumstances they are in. Perhaps it is the parents at home that get to see a side different to children. Like in all areas, it is important to keep perspective. The observations you have made as to the positives in a child does not mean there are no negatives and I know you know that as well. I hesitate to say but there are a day or two in a year when I come and cry from sheer exhaustion or in some cases the sense of helplessness I feel. But I do have to tell that for the rest of the year I am so glad that I get to work with children and I do benefit in their company.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

I know you do a great job teaching the children that is why I mentioned you in my post #13. You are right. The children do have individual nature besides inherent nature. But mostly, they use their inherent nature that is gifted to them. At a very young age, when they do make mistakes, it is not intentional or planned and it is mostly done with lack of knowledge. When we watch them for a while, we realize we do have those inherent natures within us and that is one of the reasons why we tend to mull over our childhood so often and enjoy that life.

Like what @Gauri03 said above and you said in your response, the children have the ability to move on to the next even if they have faced a difficult situation a few minutes back. I also agree that when teachers have to face their individual nature combined with a little bit of brain development, it becomes harder to handle them.

When the teachers and parents have the responsibility to correct the children's mistake, observing and listening to them gives a wonderful opportunity to understand their individual nature and help them besides learning something out of it. Many of your earlier snippets nicely articulated those aspects very well.

It is indeed a great pleasure to work with the children and sometimes those who have life long opportunity to do so are gifted souls. :)

Thyagarajan, deepthyanoop and Srama like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madam Gowri,
    You have given a clear cut judgement to the entire discussion.

Wonderful mantra'today is today'.
    While we are full of appreciation for those innocent smiles and talks,
    we are sad that this innocence is getting separated from them and disappear once for all as they grow and they begin to be judgemental.
    Is it possible for a child to grow into an adult with all the innocence in tact? We ourselves may not like our children to be so innocent ( branded as ignorant)and would love to see them 'smart' in the worldly sense of the term.On going through the original snippet and all the responses again and again, it occurs to me that human beings long for a thing they do not possess.Since we elders are mostly judgemental and prejudiced, we want to emulate children and have them as our gurus.Sooner they would become adults and start chiding us for behaving like children. That is the reality.
    Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and Amulet like this.
  6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Nice thread Viswa Sir!! Oh my God,my 5 year old senses at once if we are not fully listening to him. I cannot multitask when he talks to me. He even ask questions in between. For example,
    Him: Amma, V ( his friend and classmate)is crazy,right?
    Me: Why?
    Him: So you were not listening,were you? I told you sometime back he knocks on my back and run away...
    Me: Oh that.. that was fun,right? He is not crazy. Why would you use the word crazy,here?
    Him:( confused) Why? Is it bad?
    Me: Not so good. You can say he is funny.
    Him: Then why is that word out there?
    Me : We can use the word in another situation.
    Him: When? Then it won't be bad?
    Me:(loosing patience in the middle of my work) You please give me sometime. I will answer your questions later...
    Lots of questions like this on a daily basis. He made me pause soo many times to think... Like you and Gauri said,kids are indeed mindfulness gurus!!

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    Without meaning any offence in any quarter:

2. If all adults adapt and adopt children like attitudes/virtues all the time, what would happen to adult world and civilisation? Hypothetical but grist for mill I suppose...

3. But then there are persons who biologically turned adult but their mental age is of a child seen in orphanages. I had experienced with them. I entered as a stranger there on a particular day, when those adult kids showered love on me as though I was known to them.
    4. It was a scene of tear-jerk for my spouse & I. For a while, we got melted and switched to honeyed-words. They sang in chorous, few bhajan songs in cracked voice but we discovered melody & divinity in it.
    SUCH IS THE POWER OF remaining As CHILDREN.
    Thanks to foregoing FBs of @jayasala42 & @Gauri03

8. Viswamitra

@deepthyanoop,

Thank you for your response. If same V invites him to play with him, your son will not hesitate to do so forgetting that he was responsible for knocking on his back and run away. It is so cute he asks so many questions which is a sign of his curiosity to know more about right and wrong. They are always in the present moment and focused on only one thing at a time.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

You can include openmindedness , a spiri of inquiry and curiosity to your list.. Actually our way of educating them destoys these qualities.

10. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for your response. Our educational system requires revamping letting the children to explore more than putting blinkers around their eyes. You are so right about open mindedness and spirit of inquiry. Curiosity is already in the list in the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.