1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lazy Rainy Days!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

We have excitement in the house. The dog has seen something in the front window and has come back to the patio door peeping and barking. He does this, running a couple of more times before we realize may be he wants to go outside. Not paying much attention anyways, DS open the door not realizing there is excitement in Toby's world and in no time, he is "Mom! Toby has taken off!" Of course, his neighbor friend and a fellow dog 'sweet pea' has escaped and the owner is chasing after her. Toby thinks either he can help or he can chase and off he is. We have no idea but we do know that the word "Toby! Car!!" will bring him back as long as he is in hearing distance. Phew!!

Of course Toby is not the only dog that wants to run around. Who can blame him? It is so appealing outside, all that excitement of spring! As I drive slowly, I stop waiting, watching for these two squirrels who are chasing one another on the street to pass. Both of them look pretty well fed making me smile and wondering if these squirrels actually remembered all that food they collected and hid/saved for winters. It still fascinates me to watch them as they run, stop look and run again. You know talking of squirrels here, an aunt of mine visiting us one time wondered about it and concluded herself that it is because Lord Rama did not run his fingers on their backs in appreciation for the help he received in search for Sita that they do not have the three lines we see on squirrels back home. That thought still makes me even now, smile every time I see a squirrel.

It is indeed pouring outside and that wind, ooph! As I head to work driving slow, I am enamored with this what I think is a hawk. It has decided to fly in the storm. I stop driving and watch it, I can see it being pushed here and there by the wind. It sways, chooses to come back and try to make the pattern it thinks it is making. I see the bird falter and get back steady after a couple of times. Now faltering every now and then seems like a given as it masters staying steady in the wind. How fascinating! With a sigh, I start driving and thanks to all the stop signs, I get to enjoy the bird a couple of more times before I get busy inside a building for the day!

After another walk, me trying not to step on any of the earthworms that have decided to come out of their hibernation in the incessant drizzle, and Toby stopping for squirrels every now and then we get back home. If there is one thing that Toby dislikes it is rain. How can he know that these showers are the ones that are going to bring us the flowers! Thinking of him, as I appreciate the orchids that are blooming in my kitchen window, I see a baby cardinal come and perch itself on the dry twigs of my honey suckle. As I look around for Toby, I see him still looking for squirrels, only from inside....with his head peeking out completely.

IMG_20180224_145507 (2).jpg IMG_20180224_094211.jpg

PS: A lazy weekend, anticipation of spring coupled with cloudy rainy days is all I need to bore you guys with another of my 'spring is here' posts. And then there is this fact my friends often accuse me of giving human qualities to Toby. Thank you for indulging me.

Scorpio707, girvani, Amica and 6 others like this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

That was a nice read Sabitha. It’s gloomy outside here. I love the way you write about Toby. Oh yeah the squirrels... Every time they cross the road while I drive my heart skips a beat. I just say sometimes loudly come on make up your mind fast and either cross or stay back. But every time they would change their minds nd run backwards...Your orchids look lovely. Mine are blooming too. 3 years now those mini ones bloom once a year. I am still waiting for my hibiscus to bloom. Can’t wait to move these plants outside.

Amica and Srama like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Lakshmi @jskls for your response. Our gloomy weather is pouring...so sitting in looking out, seeing the greener grass and like you thinking of the time when I can move the plants out. Hopefully we will see your hibiscus blooms this summer.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    jskls likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Tell me about it! We now have our own adorable little fur ball at home. I am amazed at how childlike puppies are! She is naughty and curious, yet not brave enough to venture too far from me. She won't sleep unless I am right next to her. She hasn't had all her vaccinations so she is confined to the backyard for now. I can't wait to take her out on my morning runs!

The gratitude is mutual my friend. Your snippets are periodic reassurances that I am not the only one with her head in the clouds, smiling at every blade of grass and wildflower within sight. :facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Amica, kaniths, jskls and 1 other person like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Waiting for spring after experiencing a severe winter? Of course one would.
    When I was in USA I also used to wait like you. Hyderabad....no spring. Hot, hotter and on and on.
    In UK almost every day is a rainy day....
    Rainy day is cozy and warm if it is once in a while. But not when it is a daily thing. Everyone carries an umbrella always....market is flooded with various kind of umbrellas!!!!
    Enjoy the spring, gardening, leaves turn green again. We wonder were these the same trees which were covered only a month back!!!
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sabi
    If Sir Thomas More was the Man for All Seasons, you are a Woman for all seasons. I have not seen you being critical of any season. You find some reason to love every season. When I hear of Lazy Rainy Days, I remember Nat King Cole's' Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer About Autumn he sang Autumn Leaves
    The beauty of all the seasons is in your mind.
    Sri

Srama and Gauri03 like this.
  7. GANDG

GANDG Senior IL'ite

I enjoyed reading this. Change in season is a wonderful experience. I often wonder whether people really appreciate the beauties of nature. It's a pleasure watching rains.

Srama likes this.
  8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,
    I can feel the entree of the Spring at your end from this end. Beautifully expressed as always. In Scotland, we are facing severe snow and winds. The next couple of weeks will be tough as per the weather forecast and I felt it when I left home. Spring will be delayed. The leaves started to coming on trees and Sun is coming out much earlier but the weather is winter like. It certainly showing us different beauty. I am waiting for Daffodils to bloom. Keep enjoy the rain while I enjoy the snow Sabitha.
    Warm regards,
    Vani

Srama likes this.
  9. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

You definitely have an eye for such things, don't you Sabitha :). Yet another wonderful write up from you, I could envision all that you narrated like I was in it.

Your Toby is adorable, seeing his picture you posted here reminds me of my Scooby. I had a lab, lost him last January. As for human qualities I would side you on this, for me Scooby was my little brother :). We always spoke of him like he was a two legged human :D, and still continue to do so.

I like your new profile picture, it's so you :thumbsup:.

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That's fantastic Gauri. You must share a picture. Puppies are so cute. I have to confess though, the first 6 months even though I wanted it bad, I was ready to give him back :( but now I cannot imagine living without toby. Enjoy your new addition to the family.

Thank you in turn for your assurance. Yesterday, DH was taking pictures of the sky and was explaining to me how much he enjoys it and my DD goes "You are telling HER that! Okay!" The calmness that the world around us provides like you mention a blade of grass or even a wild flower is such a blessing. Thank you Gauri for this very reassuring feedback.