1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lasting!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, May 31, 2017.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Cursing myself for waking up late again, I looked at my kid. He was sleeping yet and I did something that I hate doing anytime. I nudged him first and poked him a bit hard, calling him names. Finally I asked him if he liked to go to the cricket coaching class that day or not. The next moment, he was all up and ready under 10 minutes. "Today is the last day Pappa! How lovely it will be, if this continues for a few more days?", he said. I didn't say anything and felt a bit of both relief [for not having to wake up self and him early] and guilt. "Come on! I already felt this like dragging for ages!", I told him.

To be frank, I didn't like him to go for this class, fearing that it would be so hot that he may not bear it and for the fact that he had to get up early every single day to attend it. The class was scheduled between 06:30 AM to 08:30 AM, and I used to get up around 7 AM before, as I go to bed late and sleep later after playing games in the mobile. But he was too excited and urged us more to get there. His interest was infectious and I too gave in after a point, though I only went occasionally with him. He was all too happy when I accompanied adding some more guilt to me, and tried outdoing himself at times. I refrained from watching him for the sake of letting him to be himself and used that time to read news in the mobile, sitting on the steps to the entrance of the closed school auditorium. The Vinayaka idol there looked so good and the cool breeze was making it more pleasant.

I was looking at Him, wondering how many people he had already seen and how much more he will. Also, I mused upon how many such Vinayakas I have seen so far and how they always seem to boost my confidence and bring solace, though not saying anything to me. During my childhood days, I spent my afternoons after playing for hours, sleeping in the shade under the big trees that had countless yellow flowers making a carpet. I would imagine myself as one of the auspicious ones, appearing with a rain of flowers showering upon me as I come. Given a chance, I would like to relive that again, though it sounds silly now. Seeing my kid engaging with others and trying to catch everything coming his way and still missing yet, not frowning about it, gave me something good to ramble upon. As I was seeing, my kid fell down, dirtied his whites, but laughed with others for having caught one ball albeit awkwardly. Soon he came back like a breeze, for a water break and asked me what I read. I said that I was thinking about a big story to tell him and his eyes went wide. "We will talk about that on our way back!", he said and ran back.

Soon, it was all over and we were waiting to say bye to the two PT instructors and one assistant who were the coaches as well. "Your son has improved a lot! His focus is good!", said the younger of the two. My son's eyes were still on the area where the elder ones were still playing. I just thanked the instructors and asked for the certificate for my kid's attending the summer camp. The elder one frowned and said that it will be issued in the class later. My son was reluctant to leave, so I had to almost drag him. It was no easy task, as I was carrying his bat and the small kit bag in the other hand. "Why can't we wait and just see them playing Pappa?", he asked. I said "Two minutes! Ok?" in a stern voice. "Let me go and bowl one ball then!", he said, rushing there. Coming back, he asked whether I saw the ball he delivered and what a beautiful one that was. I nodded, appreciating him. "Why can't this continue for some more days? I love playing here!", he said. As we went back, I heard the assistant talking to the senior PT instructor. "I didn't realize that this is the last day Sir. Is there a chance that this continues for a few more days? Can you call me again next time? You have my number. Right?".

That stays in my memory afresh, for why, I am not sure though!

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

3. rgsrinivasan

Playing gully cricket is in our nerves it seems, Shanvy! Sounds incorrigible?
    Lets see if this one goes further like the other one who did!
    Thanks for your quick feedback.
    -rgs

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Lovely narration of your kiddo's cricket practice during the summer holidays, rgs. It's so good to see both the kids as well as the instructors enjoying the game. It is indeed amazing how kids don't feel the heat when they are involved in playing. Probably it has to do with the age. We were like that too, only now we feel the heat so much.

rgsrinivasan and Mistt like this.
  5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Satchi, for your appreciation and feedback. In fact we all were like that earlier, not worrying about anything that includes even minor discomfort, but found joy in indulging ourselves in whatever we did. Besides, I wish to point out the theme of this post too, about what lasts over a period of time. Is it the yearning to be a child again or something else? Do we have such luxury if our daily life is an ordeal? Well, I am not sure. -rgs

satchitananda likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

When he plays with other children, getting appreciated by other children, getting disappointed by missing a catch, exchange and assimilation of thoughts from fellow players, give him a strong foundation of what is out in the world. Those are great steps to develop a self-thinking child.

Dad perhaps understood the importance of such interaction having gone through it himself. :)

Viswa

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Viswa,
    Thanks for your nice feedback.
    Just to share a bit about myself, I was definitely a bit of an introvert than my kid, even if I compare ourselves now.
    By his nature, he tries to mingle freely with any crowd and finds a place there. For me, I was protected more when I was a kid because of my health issue [I had random occurrences of fits till my first 11 years] and I was always at a 5 minute distance from home till then. Books opened me to a large extent, and helped me to come out of my shell and inferiority complex. I went to a state once of conducting a whole fictitious conversation with anyone I saw, preparing my responses to a hostile situation which I assumed. This story, though a mildly different version of it came in non-detail text while I was in class XI made me smile and stop all those - The Jack Story - Boler School of Business

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rgs,
    Good that your son at least spend two hours in the play ground in a day. Many children just play games in ipad or phone.

PS

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

He does that too Madam. But its reduced a lot this time due to his interest in playing cricket outside.
    Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

10. AhujaGirl

AhujaGirl Silver IL'ite

Hi,

This is indeed a lovely narration. Seems like your son did not only learn the game of cricket but also the game of life. There are going to be chances we miss and opportunities we catch. But, the ones he missed out did not make him frown. Hopefully he will use this lesson through his life. All the very best to you and your son and God Bless him :)

rgsrinivasan likes this.